Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897503 times)

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #5560 on: August 19, 2013, 10:29:56 AM »
Marjifay,  I like to read books by foreign authors and about "far away places" and Eva's Eye sounds interesting.  Will check with my library for it.

Winchesterlady

« Reply #5561 on: August 19, 2013, 10:43:12 AM »
Marjifay...Eva's Eye is actually the ninth book (I believe) by Karin Fossum to be published in the U.S.  It was the very first Inspector Sejer novel that she wrote in 1995. I don't know why they waited so long to publish it here.  I really enjoy her books and she was the main reason I started reading Scandanavian crime stories. Love her books!
~ Carol ~

Frybabe

« Reply #5562 on: August 19, 2013, 11:58:40 AM »
So Eve's Eye is actually the first of the Sejer series as best as I can tell. Is it better to read these in order if possible?

I just checked. My library system has it in, but it is listed as local processing. I suspect that means it has arrived at the library but hasn't been labeled and put on the shelf yet. We just got a big stack of new books last week. I don't know how often they order books.

Oh, good. It let me request it. I also have the first Longmire book by Graig Johnson on my request list.

Winchesterlady

« Reply #5563 on: August 19, 2013, 12:25:20 PM »
So Eve's Eye is actually the first of the Sejer series as best as I can tell. Is it better to read these in order if possible?

Frybabe...No, they don't have to be read in order.  I like to read a series in order, but that's just my personal preference.  Anyway, it's sometimes difficult to do when the books are published out of order.  For some reason, the publication of Scandanavian crime books is much slower here in the U.S.  I learn of a lot of books from the British blogs I read.  Books like these are usually published across the pond a long time before they are here.
~ Carol ~

marjifay

« Reply #5564 on: August 19, 2013, 01:00:38 PM »
I've only read one Kate Atkinson, Steph.  Case Histories, which I found to be just so-so.  But I have her LIFE AFTER LIFE waiting to be read. It is going to be discussed in a favorite group of mine, Constant Reader at Goodreads, in September.  The book description asks, "What if you could live again and again, until you got it right?" which pretty much says what the book is about.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5565 on: August 19, 2013, 01:07:05 PM »
FRY, WINCH: check Fantastic fiction below. Eva's Eye is the first in the series, but wasn't published here until 2012, and is published under a different name (In the Darkness). But there are 8 other books listed, published starting in 2002. The second one ("Don't Look back") is available from Amazon both on kindle and in paperback.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/f/karin-fossum/

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5566 on: August 19, 2013, 01:16:24 PM »
Another sample. My kindle mystery collection is becoming a last-in-first-out queue. If I get a batch of samples at once, the oldest gets buries and can sit there forever. Like the dish at the bottom of the stack that gets dusty around the edges because you never use it.

Tomereader1

« Reply #5567 on: August 19, 2013, 04:51:18 PM »

and I was not impressed with Life After Life.  Sorry.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #5568 on: August 20, 2013, 08:32:08 AM »
I am having fun with the Rhys Bowen... England in the 30's and dishing on Wallis Warfield.. Hurray.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #5569 on: August 20, 2013, 11:06:23 AM »
My library does have Eve's Eye.  I'm #5 in the queue.  This makes three I have on reserve.  Two of them won't be published until the fall but the library has them preordered.

marjifay

« Reply #5570 on: August 20, 2013, 05:25:41 PM »
Only three on hold, FlaJean?  My hold list at the library is 15, LOL, and that's a short list for me.  Thankfully, (dangling adverb some here hate) a couple are still on order, and some have several people ahead of me. Thank goodness for libraries, eh?

Marj

"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #5571 on: August 21, 2013, 08:52:48 AM »
Rambling through a thrift shop, happened on  The Far Side of theSky by Daniel Kalla. Not a mystery , but a book about Shanghai before WWII and the number of jews who fled there. Interesting so far.

Tomereader1

« Reply #5572 on: August 21, 2013, 12:22:12 PM »
I had a "3 at a time" pickup at the library the other day.  Now, there is nothing on my Request list, oh wait, yes there is.  A new mystery I just read about yesterday, "After Her" by Joyce Maynard.   Sounds like a good one, and the author has written many other ones.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5573 on: August 21, 2013, 03:00:13 PM »
Tome: let us know. I'll hold off on putting it on my TBR (to be read) list (i.e. samples in kindle) until I hear from you.

Tomereader1

« Reply #5574 on: August 21, 2013, 03:21:13 PM »
JoanK, I put the book on my Request List, but according to the library site, they have four copies on order, but not in circulation just yet, and to compound that, there are seven (7) requests in front of mine, but I shall "beat on against the wind" and wait till the book comes in.

André Maurois

MaryPage

« Reply #5575 on: August 21, 2013, 07:40:31 PM »
Joyce Maynard.  Joyce Maynard!  Tomereader, that is ringing a bell for me.  Steph, wasn't she the one who was a mistress to J.D. Salinger when she was a teenager and he was old enough to be her father and then some?
Or is my daffy old age playing tricks on me?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #5576 on: August 21, 2013, 08:07:53 PM »
I don't know if any of you like his books, but Elmore Leonard passed away yesterday.  He was 87.  A number of his books were made into movies, including Get Shorty.  I haven't read him, but he was very popular.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #5577 on: August 21, 2013, 08:55:42 PM »
I've only read one Elmore Leonard -- Killshot -- and that was because part of the film was shot here  in my town some years back.  I still have yet to see the film.  But when I come across something about Leonard I'm always reminded about a very nice older couple from my church.  Years agoI would run into them occasionally at the library and the husband and I would talk about the mysteries we'd read and liked.  He was an Elmore Leonard fan, and I'll never forget  him speaking of his wife, "of course, I wouldn't want Dorothy to read him."  A true gentleman of the old school.

Steph

« Reply #5578 on: August 22, 2013, 08:40:11 AM »
Joyce Maynard, yes she was either his mistress or married him. Dont remember which.She has written some interesting stuff..I will look for her new one in paper.. Good writer, but something of a celebrity hunter.

MaryPage

« Reply #5579 on: August 22, 2013, 09:59:05 AM »
Oh, I am enjoying BROADCHURCH on BBC America so very much.  The acting is superb.  Wednesday nights at ten o'clock here on the East Coast.  I dreamed about it last night.  Dreamed old smart mouth me ran after the (swoon) detective and told him who did it.  They were upset with me because the show had weeks to go yet.  Crazy things, dreams, yes?
I, also of course, cannot stand to wait until the end.  I like to know who did it all the way through.  So I Googled spoiler for Broadchurch and found out.  Now I am content to just adore the show and not sweat it.

Frybabe

« Reply #5580 on: August 22, 2013, 11:26:13 AM »
I don't think they are running it on my PBS station, MaryPage. They ran two Novas last night. I don't recall seeing Broadchurch on the schedule. Will look again.

Tomereader1

« Reply #5581 on: August 22, 2013, 12:01:59 PM »
BBC America, Frybabe.  I don't think PBS is running it at all.

André Maurois

Frybabe

« Reply #5582 on: August 22, 2013, 12:13:56 PM »
Well that explains it. I cut back on my cable service to save some money now that I don't work. BBC America was one of the channels got dropped. I also lost the Science Channel, FBN, and SciFy. Except for FBN, I don't miss the rest because they have turned into marathons of programs like paranormal, alien sighting, and reality shows that I just do not care to watch once let alone over and over again. Even the channels I still get run the darn things ad nauseam.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #5583 on: August 22, 2013, 05:48:54 PM »
I would have to up my TV package to get BBCA.  :(  I did watch the 1st episode on the BBCA website and really enjoyed it.  I'm hoping Netflix will pick it up later so I can see the whole series.

Frybabe

« Reply #5584 on: August 22, 2013, 09:25:08 PM »
Oh, thanks for the suggestion Jean. I didn't think to check the website.

JudeS

« Reply #5585 on: August 23, 2013, 01:05:47 AM »
FlaJean
Thanks from me as well. Missed the first episode and was dumped into the second with no real understanding of what had happened. I like David Tennent so enjoyed watching him anyway. Won't be home for the next two episodes but will record them on my DVR. A machine worth its weight in gold since you can fast forward through all the commercials and record any
of your favorite shows when you are not home or just not available to view the show when its on.

Any of you heard of A.D.Scott ,"Beneath the Abbey Wall"? Scotland in the 1950s.A newspaper staff probes the murder of one of their own.

salan

« Reply #5586 on: August 23, 2013, 07:14:06 AM »
I am currently reading Gone Girl.  It's my ftf book club suggestion for September.  I am about half way through and am not really enjoying it.  I will finish it since it is a selection, but it's so easy to put down and hard to pick up again.  I find myself losing patience with the characters & I think I have figured it out.  Have any of you read it?
Sally

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5587 on: August 23, 2013, 08:33:03 AM »
Yes! I loved it.   Hahaha

Steph

« Reply #5588 on: August 23, 2013, 08:49:16 AM »
Sally, I read it all the way through and hated it.. Not one singlecharacter, I would enjoy as a human.. But it is a popular book.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5589 on: August 23, 2013, 09:23:15 AM »
I finished and enjoyed Her Royal Spyness,  it's light, you can't deny that,  and kind of unbelievable, but it's great fun and I enjoyed it.  (Of course I  never guessed  hu dun it, but I never do, so that's nothing new). I'm going to try another of hers which I hope to get today.  It's a good thing to read before going to sleep.

For sheer light reading pleasure with just enough hints and a good mystery, so far she's right  on target.  

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #5590 on: August 23, 2013, 10:24:40 AM »
The city fathers and powers that be here in Southeast MO are hoping and praying that the Gone Girl film will be in part filmed here in river city. Rumors are flying and the daily rag printed a "Gone Girl Guide" in today's publication.  There was a casting call (?) last weekend that brought out about 1400 hopefuls.  THe book is on my TBR list, so someday.

MaryPage

« Reply #5591 on: August 23, 2013, 10:27:17 AM »
I hated Gone Girl.  Really, honestly and truly hated it.  Ghastly stuff about people you would most earnestly hope you would never meet or even pass in the night.
Only you well might.  Urrrrrrrgh!
My next door neighbor loved it, so I gave her my copy to pass on, as I most certainly did not want to pass it to any of my kin.
Recently I watched the movie Beasts of the Southern Wild with that adorable little Quvenzhané Wallis.  I had been sooooo certain it was my kind of movie and I would love it.
Hated it.  It made me absolutely miserable.
My son Chip said:  Mom, I think you just don't get it. 
It being that they were happy in their homes and way of living.
And I explained patiently that I indeed got it.
And I understood.  No one knows MORE than do I the power of the thought of HOME.  Oh yes, I understood that movie.
But my empathetic heart burst open and almost did me in.  It is more than I can bear emotionally to think there are people like those in Gone Girl and those in Beasts of the Southern Wild living the lives they are living in the places they are living them.
Put me back in Grandma's kitchen with a plate of bacon and her buckwheat cakes and a copy of one of L.M. Montgomery's books.  Home and happy and safe in my expectations of normal.

mabel1015j

« Reply #5592 on: August 23, 2013, 11:04:44 AM »
Unfortunately, i'm with you MaryPage. At this stage i generally don't want to read about misery. In my present mood i probably would not read Lord of the Flies or Animal Farm today, maybe not even some more popular classics. I can be miserable enough with what real people are doing intheir real lives today. That's probably why "cozy mysteries" are so popular, there are a lot of us out there now. Maybe it's the aging of the population, we've been through so much and are now just looking for entertainment.

MaryPage

« Reply #5593 on: August 23, 2013, 11:40:39 AM »
From my perspective of 84+ years, and believing as I do that we only have this one life to live, I agonize over any story, real or otherwise, of a live misspent, a life without love, a brain boiling over with the wiring gone haywire, cruelty, wanton or otherwise, misery and poverty, and all the rest.  I want to scream at these people that they are SO wasting the resources of their years.
It wears me out.  Yes, give me a cozy.  Or a beautiful.

Winchesterlady

« Reply #5594 on: August 23, 2013, 12:09:38 PM »
I loved Gone Girl.....Thought it was an interesting way to write a novel.
~ Carol ~

Tomereader1

« Reply #5595 on: August 23, 2013, 12:17:48 PM »
I have to go along with MaryPage, I hated the book and could not figure what all the hullabaloo was award-wise.  The silly thing is still on the NYT list. I just barely finished it, because I'm one of those that when I start something, I feel I must finish it.  There have been a few that I have not finished, but I kept going on Gone Girl because I thought there might be something "redeeming" about it, and maybe I would see what the literary gurus saw in it.
Blah!   

André Maurois

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5596 on: August 23, 2013, 07:26:57 PM »
Well, so much for the local Barnes & Noble. There was not one Rhys Bowen Royal Spyness book in the whole store. I really am disappointed. And she's written so many.

Isn't it interesting the violent difference in opinion on the Gone Girl  book?

marjifay

« Reply #5597 on: August 24, 2013, 08:00:00 AM »
I really liked Gillian Flynn's GONE GIRL.  What an imagination the author has. Of course I didn't like either character, altho' I sympathized at first with the husband, but I found this book about them fascinating.  I now want to read some of her other books -- SHARP OBJECTS (2007) and DARK PLACES (2010).

Marj (who is not a fan of "cozy" mysteries)

Steph

« Reply #5598 on: August 24, 2013, 09:43:11 AM »
i really liked the Rhys Bowen book on the royalty.. I have sent away for the first and third in the series on my swap club. Hooray for them, they tend to come through withno problems on cozies.  More obscure, not always. I would not go to see the Movie Gone Girl, either.. Bah, a horrid book.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5599 on: August 24, 2013, 09:57:38 AM »
I know I'm stepping on eggs, here, but I can't help but wonder (and have been ever since I saw the various remarks here on Gone Girl), what we're really looking for in a book?

We all have things we have violent reactions to or that we won't read, I think. But looking at some of the comments makes me think that some of you need to "like" the character you're reading about? Or identify with that character? I think it's fascinating, why one reads, what one is looking for when one reads. Would make a good poll. hahahahaa