Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897682 times)

rosemarykaye

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #6280 on: March 24, 2014, 08:29:25 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pedln - I went back to the Looking-Glass bookshop for another talk last week, looked for that Nicola white book and couldn't find it anywhere - either they sold all the copies that night or (more likely) I was just looking in the wrong place.  I'm there again this week so I'll investigate - it does sound interesting, doesn't it?

I'm still loving the Lenovo, and Madeleine has handed it over now that she has my old laptop up and running and my husband has transferred all my documents and photos to the new one.

Tomereader - I don't know much about Louise Doughty, but I did once read a book of hers purporting to tell you how to write a novel in a year.  It was culled from a column she had been given in one of the national newspapers, and basically she had set a task each week and numerous aspiring writers had set in their efforts for her to scrutinise.  I felt some of them were very good, but she was pretty universal in her criticism.  At the time she had hardly published anything else, so that irritated me a little, as she seemed to be setting herself up as some sort of expert (I hasten to add that I was NOT one of the people who bravely submitted their work...)  I've noticed more and more lately that every newspaper, publishing house, etc is running 'how to write...' courses, often hugely expensive, and taught by people you've never heard of and who seem to have written very little themselves.  Louise Doughty often features.  These courses make a lot of promises which, in this competitive world, are unlikely to be fulfilled.  So I am totally irrationally 'off' L Doughty, and your post has just confirmed my opinion!

Last week's event at the bookshop was about a Mongolian lady, Uuganaa Ramsay, who grew up in traditional Mongolian society, living in a yurt and having a nomadic way of life - her parents were professionals but still lived in this way and kept cattle.  She came to Scotland on a teacher training course and stayed - married a local and has 2 children.  Her third child, Billy, was born with Downs Syndrome, and she was horrified when she realised that this was still (unofficially) referred to as Mongolism in the UK, with 'mong' and 'mongol' being used by teenagers and others as insults (just as they persist in calling people 'gay' also as an insult.)  Her son died after only 3 months, but she wanted to keep his memory alive, and also to try to address misconceptions about Downs in our society, so she wrote a book called Mongol.  At the event, she read from it and talked about her childhood in Mongolia and her adult life here in Scotland.  She recently won a major non-fiction award for her book and has been on Good Morning Scotland.  It was very interesting and the shop was packed - I had been a bit worried that the audience would be sparse, but how wrong I was - people from the NHS, friends from the local Mongolian community, Downs Association people, children dressed up in Mongolian national costume - and, to my utter joy, none other than Ian Rankin, who does of course live nearby and has a son who has some sort of learning difficulties - might be autism, I can't remember.   There was a huge cake iced to look like the book, and Mogolian vodka!  

Here is the book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mongol-Uuganaa-Ramsay-ebook/dp/B00D0UXWWA/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1395663845&sr=1-1&keywords=Mongol

This week's event is to do with the Istanbul Review, a publication about which I know nothing, but I'm looking forward to finding out.

Rosemary

rosemarykaye

« Reply #6281 on: March 24, 2014, 08:35:45 AM »
PS - I meant to say, re Alzheimer's, Prunella Scales, the actress best known as Sibyl in Fawlty Towers, has recently gone public about her own mild Alzheimer's.  She and her husband, the actor Timothy West, have made a series of programmes about their travels on their narrowboat along the English canals - I've so far managed to miss it, but apparently they talk openly about the disease and how they are coping with it.  So far her main problem is memory loss and inability to concentrate, but she's as fit as a fiddle physically and apparently runs about the boat like a 30 year old (she's 80 I think.)

Rosemary

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6282 on: March 24, 2014, 04:56:49 PM »
found an author I like Charles Todd

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/t/charles-todd/

the book I read was about Bess Crawford, a nurse in WWI in England. There is another series about a veteran of the war.

nlhome

« Reply #6283 on: March 24, 2014, 10:51:02 PM »
I like Charles Todd's books, too.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #6284 on: March 27, 2014, 01:20:33 PM »
It does seem that more and more people are getting Alzheimer's than in years past.now saying it will be much higher in next 10 years. My friend had I and hs she had to go in nursing home I went an helped. Was amazed seeing that large prt of the people there had been prof. Dr. University professors .well educated. Now I have 3friends local whose husbands now have it. All at home. Hard to see them this way.
With all the millions collected for research. Still don't know what is causing it.
Same with MS now. Getting more every year. Can't say old age now because most are young or middle aged .

MaryPage

« Reply #6285 on: March 28, 2014, 10:08:15 AM »
This book is not a mystery, but I want to tell everyone I can reach to get a copy of Jimmy Carter's latest book (he has written 28, I think it is!) and read it and pass it around.  It is the book I have hoped and prayed someone would write and publish before I leave this old world.

A CALL TO ACTION, Women, Religion, Violence, and Power   by Jimmy Carter

mabel1015j

« Reply #6286 on: March 31, 2014, 02:11:17 PM »
I'm really enjoying the second of the new Evanovich series with Kate O'Hare and Nick Fox. Evanovich must love food, she's brought Stephanie Plum's obsession with junk food to Kate O'Hare. I just listened to a piece where she's in a food court where she's placing french fries in"straight lines on top of her pizza," and then put pieces of pretzels between the fries. LOL

My only problem with audio books is that sometimes the reader isn't giving a line the read i would have given it in my head if i was reading a book. Inflections of speech give us an analysis of the personality/character of the person speaking. I never thought of that until i started listening to books and realized "that's not the way i think (Stephanie/Kate/Nick, or whomever) would say that, it makes her/him sound weak/whiney/casual,uninterested, etc."

In any case, i will get the actual hard copy books as often as i can and will read the O'Hare/Fox series.

Jean

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #6287 on: March 31, 2014, 05:22:50 PM »
Jean...is the new heroine, Kate, more likeable?  I'm probably the only one here who simply couldn't stomach Stephanie.  I tried to read one of the books, and I got so sick of her I couldn't finish it. 

jane

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #6288 on: March 31, 2014, 05:24:21 PM »
jane, I didn't like the Evanovich "number" series, either.  I'm the only one in our large family/friends group who didn't.  Oh, well.....
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #6289 on: March 31, 2014, 10:51:56 PM »
Hurrah... I'm glad I'm not the only one. ;D

mabel1015j

« Reply #6290 on: April 01, 2014, 12:33:42 AM »
Yes, i think Kate is more likable then Stephanie Plum. She appears to be older, or at least more mature. She was in one of the "ops" teams of one of the branches of the military - that was mentioned in the first book and i've forgotten the details - and is now an FBI agent. Therefore she has more sense and more skills then SP. She's single, but has no love interest, altho she is appreciative of Nick Fox' physical qualities  :D. She has a similar sarcastic sense of humor as SP, but not as often.

Her father is retired military and assists in Kate and Nick's scams to con the people who have conned or stolen from others. The cast of characters are not as daffy as SP's community. They do take some outlandish risks, as many characters in adventure stories do. As i said earlier, if you remember Robt Wagner's To Catch a Thief, the stories remind me a lot of that. Nick Fox is sort of a James Bond kind of character.

salan

« Reply #6291 on: April 01, 2014, 08:00:26 AM »
I just finished Ripper by Isabelle Allende.  It was very well written & a good mystery!
Sally

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #6292 on: April 01, 2014, 09:59:39 AM »
Thanks, Jean.  I'll have to see when our Library has a copy available.

jeriron

« Reply #6293 on: April 02, 2014, 09:48:04 AM »
Donna Leon's new book just came out. Iv'e just started reading it but am sure I'll like it.
It started out with complaints about the big Cruise ships docking in Venice. I thought the ships looked so beautiful when we were in Venice but I'm sure residents have a different "view".

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #6294 on: April 02, 2014, 02:32:36 PM »
Jeriron, I'm really looking forward to reading this latest Donna Leon book.  I'm on the library reserve list so it will be a while yet, I'm afraid.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6295 on: April 03, 2014, 04:34:26 PM »
Is the newest Donna Leon book "By its Cover"? She has another one listed as coming out in May: "Lagoon"?

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/l/donna-leon/

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #6296 on: April 03, 2014, 06:00:48 PM »
Yes, it is "By Its Cover".  The book coming out in May is a nonfiction book.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6297 on: April 04, 2014, 03:58:01 PM »
Found an interesting series by Michael Robertson

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/r/michael-robertson/

The first in the series is "the baker Street Letters" I picked up a later one in the library, and will go back and read the earlier ones.

the premise is that a barrister (trial lawyer) in modern day London has his offices at the building at 220 Baker Street (in reality, there is no 221b). A condition of his lease is that he answer all letters addressed to Sherlock Holmes, including those who think Sherlock is a real person. This leads him into solving mysteries.

I fond it very enjoyable. The one quibble, the book I read (the Baker Street Translation) contained a lot of spoilers about the first two books. So try to read them in order!

Frybabe

« Reply #6298 on: April 05, 2014, 07:16:10 AM »
Oh my, Donna Leon has 23 Guido Brunetti novels racked up.

I see that Michael Robertson's creation has been optioned for TV. I'd watch it.

Both books are now on my hunt them down list - not that I need more books to read.  :D

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #6299 on: April 05, 2014, 12:49:38 PM »
I've never read anything by Michael Robertson.  I'll check my library for him.  There must be a lot of mystery readers in our area as our library has a large mystery section in regular print and large print.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #6300 on: April 05, 2014, 03:30:20 PM »
I just started another Louise Penny book today.  "How The Light Gets In" with Inspector Gamache. 
I read the "The Beautiful Mystery" by Penny last month.  Its a very good mystery about an abbey out in the middle of nowhere and where a murder has occurred.  The description the abbey and monks matches the one in the Trappist abbey in Conyers, GA and LMH's visit.  His monks sang in Plainsong and in Penny's book, they sang Gregorian chant. In fact the Gregorian chant and someone's huge ego brings the case to a close. Faced each other in the church the same.  Tried to remain silent.

Thomas Merton was a Trappist monk.  Remember Seven Story Mountain?? 
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Frybabe

« Reply #6301 on: April 05, 2014, 04:44:26 PM »
I just downloaded something about Thomas Merton a few weeks ago, something about Thomas Merton and the movies. Looked interesting. I did some checking. Merton wrote something like 56 books.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6302 on: April 05, 2014, 05:07:39 PM »
I'm reading the first Robertson book now (The Baker Street Letters). It occurs partly in the US (LA) and definitely has some anti-American bias in it. If I'd read it first, don't know if I would have recommended it.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6303 on: April 05, 2014, 05:14:18 PM »
I've always wanted to read Thomas Merton. Not sure which of the 56 books, but the name you always hear is "The Seven Story Mountain", so I got a sample on kindle. It is the 50th edition, so I guess a few other people have read it too.

In Blue Highways, Least Heat Moon describes a visit to a Trappist monastery.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #6304 on: April 06, 2014, 10:47:15 AM »
I have a copy of "No Man Is An Island" which I've read and another book written about Merton entitled  "The Seven Mountains Of Thomas Merton"  by Michael Mott.  Also, a very interesting book. 
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

mabel1015j

« Reply #6305 on: April 06, 2014, 11:42:26 AM »
My first two Brad Meltzer books - reading The Millionaires and listening to The Inner Circle. Both are interesting settings - a financial institution, the national archives - where the "little guy" gets caught up in the "big fish" and powerful people conspiracies......... Did the President hide a book that appears to have belonged to Geo Washington in a chair in a reading room he uses in the Archives? Did someone else put it there for him? ....... Did some members of the Secret Service set up two brothers in the financial institution to appear to have stolen either 3 million, or 300 million, dollars?

They are both quite good.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6306 on: April 06, 2014, 02:44:53 PM »
The Inner Circle especially sounds fascinating:
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/brad-meltzer/inner-circle.htm

Another book for my TBR pile on kindle.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #6307 on: April 06, 2014, 04:51:47 PM »
I remember The Inner Circle.  It was fascinating and interesting.

Annie, I just finished Louise Penny's first in the Armand Gamache series -- Still Life, and plan to read many more.  Her tenth in that series is coming out  in August.  The one you just finished, How the Light Gets in has been nominated for this year's Agatha and this year's Edgar awards, both to be announced in May. Many of her books have received various awards.  Penny herself was recently awarded The Order of Canada, Canada's highest civilian award. Check out her Facebook page.

Has anyone heard recently how Steph is doing?

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #6308 on: April 06, 2014, 05:00:39 PM »
Pedln, I've just heard from her - her recovery is coming slowly, but steadily.  She has her dogs back with her, and her home-health-care nurse says her wound is slowly healing.  Hopefully, she'll be back with us soon. 
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6309 on: April 07, 2014, 04:17:50 PM »
MARYZ: That's great news! Maybe you could post that in the Library.

Steph

« Reply #6310 on: April 09, 2014, 12:05:59 PM »
I am reading God of the Hive by Lauri King.. What a complicated plot that has run now into two books..But it is good.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #6311 on: April 09, 2014, 01:42:25 PM »
Steph, it is so good to see you posting again.  We missed you and glad you are doing so much better.

I like Lauri King will look for God of the Hive.  Is there another book that should be read first that goes with that one?

Tomereader1

« Reply #6312 on: April 09, 2014, 01:47:34 PM »
Steph, it is so great to see you back, able to post.  Wishing you a speedy recovery from what must have been a horrific experience.  I have never heard of the ailment you had, and for the docs to probe it and make it explode, my Gosh.
Bet the pups were so glad to see you, and it is good you had folks around to sit with you and tend your everyday needs.  Wonderful that you had the home health care.

Take care of yourself, don't overdo and let the healing begin!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #6313 on: April 10, 2014, 09:40:03 AM »
Ther Language of Bees was the first book and then Hive is the second one.Excellent, but a very very complicated plot and am finished and not quite sure I understand the underlying motives  even now.. A brand new character who is charming however.. He makes you want to head for the deep woods in order to meet him.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6314 on: April 10, 2014, 03:29:06 PM »
STEPH: great to see you up and reading again!

Have to look up the Laurie King. I read the early ones, then somehow she lost me in the desert somewhere.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6315 on: April 10, 2014, 03:36:54 PM »
Found some "Legal Beagles" I really like by David Rosenfelt

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/r/david-rosenfelt/

I usually don't read two books by the same author in a row, but these have me hooked - I'm on my third. Wise cracking lawyer (but very concerned for the underdog -- literally, he winds up involved with a dog shelter in book 2) in Patterson, New Jersey.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #6316 on: April 10, 2014, 06:31:31 PM »
Hi Steph, good to see you back.  Your are reading one of my favorite authors books and when I looked to see the list of her Mary Russell/Sherlock books, I found some titles that were unfamiliar so will go to the library today and see if reading about the plot in those books will ring a bell with me.

I am deep into another Anna Pigeon book by Nevada Barr.  This one is all about the research program for studying the wolves on Isle Royal. The program is 50 years old and famous for its discoveries about the wolves.  The one that I am reading about is actually called The Wolfe/Moose Program.  Its January and the cold kinda creeps into my bones while reading.  I also find in looking up Nevada Barr that she has always been very interested the natural settings of the National Park System in the U.S.  I do like her writing.

Steph

« Reply #6317 on: April 11, 2014, 09:57:32 AM »
I used to Love Nevada Barr, but then she got more and more violent and I have a fairly current book of hers that I have not started.. Why oh why do authors assume they must get darker and more violent. I have started the last Louise Penney twice and just stop with all of the darkness. Boo.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #6318 on: April 11, 2014, 10:13:35 AM »
I fear I may incite hate mail for daring to say this, but I feel Louise Penny has gone off, and I haven't enjoyed the last couple of books much.  However, she seems to have achieved authorly saintdom, and I appreciate that I would not have a hope of writing as well as she does, so I should probably keep quiet... :o

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #6319 on: April 11, 2014, 06:49:02 PM »
Well, I thought it was me, Steph, but as much as I like the way she writes there is certainly too much graphic violence in "Winter Study".  Whew!  Am I getting too old for violence plus graphic?  Well, sometimes I just skip whole paragraphs to avoid that violence because I want to know who did what to who and why!  Then, I don't pick this author for awhile.  Maybe she will notice??  :D

And Rosemary, the last two Gamache left me with the inspector having retired and his wife saying that he will be detecting once more after getting bored with nothin' to do.  So, I will take a look at the following title and see if he is still at it.