Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897683 times)

Steph

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #6320 on: April 12, 2014, 10:04:31 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I m so glad that others noticed besides me. The Gamache is where all people are withdrawn from him.. I just cannot get into the book.. I will switch over to some lighter stuff in my TBR pile.. Something to make me laugh perhaps.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6321 on: April 12, 2014, 09:12:50 PM »
I agree. Penny and Barr have both gone off. It seems to happen to most series writers.

and me. haven't been able to get into the last 4 or 5 books library I've started. Don't know if it's me or the books.

I seem not to notice if a new page needs a heading. If someone catches me forgetting to put one in, I'd appreciate a quick nudge.

Steph

« Reply #6322 on: April 13, 2014, 10:07:54 AM »
One of the reasons I like Charlaine Harris,,, Sarah Shaber,,etc. They seem to stay steady.. I hate it in the Penney. I like the little town, do not understand or want to the politics involved in the police department..Boo.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #6323 on: April 13, 2014, 03:08:19 PM »
I so agree Steph - I loved it when it was just about Three Pines and the villagers, now it's all police politics and 'mystic meanings', she's trying to make it far too philosophical for me.

Rosemary

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #6324 on: April 13, 2014, 09:39:35 PM »
I've only read Penny's first and fifth books, so can't make any judgement about the violence, and do want to read the rest in the series.  I have enjoyed exploring her Facebook page and website.  Her latest -- How the Light Gets In -- has been nominated for both the Agatha and the Edgar awards, both to be announced in May.  Her tenth Three Pines book -- The Long Way Home -- is due out in August.

Someone mentioned Sarah Shaber.  I loved Louise's War and see that there is another of her books set in Washington D.C. during World War II.  I haven't read any of the Professor Simon series.  Does anyone prefer one over the other?

marjifay

« Reply #6325 on: April 13, 2014, 11:03:27 PM »
I've just returned to the library three DNF books which I would not recommend anyone wasting their time reading.

PRIVATE L.A. by James Patterson.  I tossed it after the first few pages which did not make any sense.  (I do like Patterson's Alex Cross series)

THE CHASE, first of a new series, by Janet Evanovich.  Supposed to be an "action-packed, exciting adventure", but  I kept falling asleep at this rediculous book, and when I starting reading the pancake breakfast commercial, that did it.  I like books that are at least somewhat believable, and humorous -- not silly.

THE HUSBAND'S SECRET by Liane Morarity.  Sent it back after a couple of boring chapters.  

I have Donna Andrews' Crouching Buzzard, Leaping Loon by Donna Andrews up next.  Hope it turns out better that the above.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #6326 on: April 14, 2014, 10:12:19 AM »
I love Donna Andrews. She is truly funny..  Decided to pick up a Craig Johnson.. Longmire is fun..

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #6327 on: April 14, 2014, 11:03:33 AM »
We like all the Longmire books.  I wish the TV series would come back.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #6328 on: April 14, 2014, 01:00:02 PM »
Marj, I haven't read too many Patterson or Evanovich books, but my f2f group read The Husband's Secret and most of the group liked it, although some thought it jumped around too much.  It's set in Australia, and what surprised me was that if the cities had not been mentioned by name, you might have thought you were in the US or UK -- guess we're globally homogenized.  At any rate, it offered a lot to talk about.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #6329 on: April 14, 2014, 01:04:38 PM »
I haven't read the Longmire books but enjoyed the TV series.

marjifay

« Reply #6330 on: April 14, 2014, 04:52:04 PM »
Pedln wrote "my f2f group read The Husband's Secret and most of the group liked it, although some thought it jumped around too much."

Wow, looking back at my post, I really put down those three books and was probably too harsh.  I was not feeling well yesterday, and it shows.  I'll have to give The Husband's Secret another try.  

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6331 on: April 14, 2014, 05:23:24 PM »
Aaack! According to FF, I'm missing two of  the Washington in WWII series. I was growing up in Washington then, but really relate to some of it, and like her writing. Haven't read the Professor Simon books.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/sarah-r-shaber/

It seems that I brought back nothing but DNFs from the library this time! I seem to alternate between really good hauls and really bad ones.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #6332 on: April 14, 2014, 06:01:54 PM »
I have taken back the last few Louise Penny book also. Same with a few other writers that I use to enjoy.
I am now wondering if they are being told that they have to write more books. not one a year or two. Then they were good. They also seem to be publishing  books now by people who should just not be writing. My library has shelves of some LP that I have never heard of. Some just awful. Use to be one or two who wrote "Amish " Books. Counted 6 different authors the other day. With all the Readers being bought by people now I am sure it will get worse.

nlhome

« Reply #6333 on: April 14, 2014, 07:50:48 PM »
I read an thoroughly enjoyed Louise's War. I'll have to look up the rest. Thanks.

Steph

« Reply #6334 on: April 15, 2014, 11:22:07 AM »
I loved Louise's war and the Simon books are wonderful..Funny, sad and very perceptive.. I want the WWII books, but boy are they hard to find.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6335 on: April 15, 2014, 03:42:41 PM »
I got a sample of the first Professor Simon Mystery: "Simon Said" on my kindle. It's only $2.99. But the next WWII mystery, "Louise's Dilemma" is $15.99. Guess I'll wait til the library has it!

Steph

« Reply #6336 on: April 16, 2014, 10:02:33 AM »
Simon and the small town are wonderful..The college is very funny as well.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #6337 on: April 16, 2014, 12:42:22 PM »
I don't know if any of you read John Connolly - he's an Irish writer but sets his books in Maine.  The detective in his main series is Charlie Parker, though he's written others.  I haven't yet read any of his books, but last night I attended a launch for his latest novel, 'The Wolf in Winter'  It was such am enjoyable evening - he was hilarious, and seemed very nice too.

Connolly started off the evening by pointing out that he has smartened up his clothes since turning 40 - this includes taking to wearing waistcoats, 'the middle-aged man's gastric band.'  He carried on in this vein, which was very funny, but he also explained that although the received wisdom is that crime novels are based on plot, he thinks character is far more important.  He asked us to think back to the last 3 crime books we'd read and see if we could remember the plots - and for me at least, he'd got a point.  He said that readers get very attached to characters in a series, so he tries to allow his to develop rather than churning out the same old book every year - that's why Parker ages, for example.  

Connolly also discussed the fact that some of his more recent novels include a small element of fantasy - he said that the received wisdom is that crime writing must be based solely in facts, so that logic can solve the puzzle - but a new generation of readers is coming through who are much more open to experimentation - they've grown up with graphic novels and are happy with mixed genres.  He feels that crime writing will only advance by people experimenting on the margins.  He thinks the greatest living crime writer is James Lee Burke, and he also admires Ed McBain and Lee Child.

I'm going to try one of his books now - has anyone read any of them?

Tomereader1

« Reply #6338 on: April 16, 2014, 12:55:21 PM »
I think I've read all of them, except maybe the last one (before The Wolf inWinter).  He's very good.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6339 on: April 16, 2014, 03:23:15 PM »
I haven't, and I'll give him a try. The firt in the series is "Every Dead Thing."

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/john-connolly/

Steph

« Reply #6340 on: April 17, 2014, 09:32:08 AM »
James Lee.. I am with him. I love James, but oh my, not fond of his buddy at all..But I love the Louisiana setting, but not the western ones as much. James daughter ,Alafair also writes well.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #6341 on: April 17, 2014, 10:19:21 AM »
Just finished "Acceptable Loss" by Anne Perry.  Pretty good!
Am trying a new to me author, Qiu Xiaolong" with "Don't Cry Tai Lake".  He was born in Shanghai and uses lots of poetry that carries the story along.  Different!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Tomereader1

« Reply #6342 on: April 17, 2014, 12:03:30 PM »
Let me make my apologies...I had John Connolly confused with Michael Connelly, thus I haven't read all of John's book, but I have read a good deal of them (per FF).  He seems to recommend a great many other books and authors that look interesting. (as if I don't have enough to read already!)
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

rosemarykaye

« Reply #6343 on: April 17, 2014, 06:18:24 PM »
Don't worry Tomereader - I kept telling people I'd just been to see Joseph Connolly (whoever he may be.....)  ;D

Here's my review of the event for anyone who would like to know a bit more:

http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2014/04/john-connolly-presents-the-wolf-in-winter/

Rosemary

Zulema

« Reply #6344 on: April 17, 2014, 11:14:13 PM »
Oh, dearest friends!  I have been too long away from here, and had to pickup the website from Google.  Shame on me!  I was on a long translation and editing project, pro bono no less, though I kept reading, especially mysteries.  So let me put in two cents about Louise Penny's Three Pines books.  I have read all of hers.  I think everyone fell in love with the first one, as I did, and then I wasn't too keen on the ones that followed, but I keep reading her.  I didn't like the police politics (and worse), but I am really bothered by what Rosemary called "Mystic meanings."  I have trouble remembering the book titles, but the one where Gamache goes North to visit the native tribes for enlightenment is full of that and so many obscure thoughts and hints that we are supposed to understand?  But they are well written.  I liked The Beautiful Mystery because it was really about an obsession and the one where Gamache is in Quebec City involving the search for Champlain and the relations between the French and the English speakers, though I've heard many people didn't like that one.  And How the Light Gets In, all I can say is I'm glad the police secrets are over.

One author who I think is far superior to Louise Penny is Deborah Crombie.  Her mysteries are set in England, mostly in London, the main characters being two police officers who don't go in for mystical philosophy, but are very compassionate human beings.  It would be better to start at the beginning with her books because they have a growing family (through the years) and other characters who appear frequently.  They do not go in for hints and obscure philosophical wanderings.  They face real problems and conduct their life and their work accordingly.

And I have recently discovered a new author, Charles Todd, who writes with his mother but they use his name.  They are co-authors who do not even live in the same state.  They have a series that features an Inspector Rutledge, of Scotland Yard, in the period after the first World War, sometimes going back a bit for our enlightenment.  They are extremely well written and there are many of these books.  I think they are a delight to read.

Otherwise, I read Scandinavian mystery authors, but not all. I think Indridasson, from Iceland, is an excellent writer.  So is Camilla Lackberg, Swedish.  It is not light reading but it is very satisfying and generally deals with serious concerns.  I will not read authors who seem to enjoy showing graphic violence, most of it gratuitous, and really piling it on.

Steph

« Reply #6345 on: April 18, 2014, 09:34:20 AM »
I read one of Camille Lackburg's books and loved it, but am not sure if any others have been translated.

Frybabe

« Reply #6346 on: April 18, 2014, 10:44:03 AM »
Hi Zulema. Good to see you back up again.

Zulema

« Reply #6347 on: April 18, 2014, 02:06:56 PM »
Hi, and glad to be back.  Lackberg's first translated was The Ice Maiden. I've now read The Preacher, The Stranger, and The Stonecutter all in English, from the library.  I like them all, though I think a little too much padding is added talking about the main character's post partum depression.  But now so many mystery novels spend time on their sleuth's family problems and such, I am getting used to that, and some are more relevant than others. I love Donna Leon's Comissario Brunetti and his family.  He is another very compassionate policeman.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6348 on: April 18, 2014, 04:06:27 PM »
ZULEMA: WELCOME BACK! We've missed you.

I love all the authors you mentioned, except I don't THINK I've read Charles Todd.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/t/charles-todd/

I see from the link above that in addition to the series you mentioned, he has a second one featuring Bess Crawford, an ex-WWI nurse. That sounds familiar.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6349 on: April 18, 2014, 04:12:18 PM »
Oh, goody! the first Ian Rutledge book (A test of Wills) is only $1.99 on Kindle! Instant gratification!

nlhome

« Reply #6350 on: April 18, 2014, 07:28:49 PM »
I've really liked the Charles Todd books, both series that you mentioned.

Right now I'm reading Colin Cotterill's The Woman Who Wouldn't Die. I like that series.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #6351 on: April 18, 2014, 10:31:34 PM »
Well, Zulema, you are back!  How nice to hear from you!  I have bookmarked this whole discussion about authors and titles that I no recollection of reading.   Thanks a bunch to all here who added to Zulema's list.

I am still reading "Don't Cry, Tai Lake" by Qiu Xiaolong who was born in China but now lives with his family in St Louis.  He is a poet and an author and this book is one of a series about Inspector Chen.  Easy read and so far, not bad.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Steph

« Reply #6352 on: April 19, 2014, 09:38:26 AM »
Charles Todd sounds familiar, but don't remember any of the books. Must check out my TBR pile.. plus lackburgs translations.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6353 on: April 19, 2014, 05:56:57 PM »
I've read several if Qui's books. I like them, but they repeat a bit.

I see I have a sample of the first Charles Todd Beth Crawford book on my kindle. That means I got a later one from the library and liked it.

Steph

« Reply #6354 on: April 20, 2014, 10:28:50 AM »
I am reading one of my hoarded Charles Finch. He and Lady Jane have married, he is in parliament and the smallest details are wonderful.. I love this author and he is hard to get.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #6355 on: April 20, 2014, 12:43:34 PM »
I have just found two Charles Finch books on our library catalogue, so thanks for the recommendation Steph.  They are A Beautiful Blue Death and The September Society.

Rosemary

Tomereader1

« Reply #6356 on: April 20, 2014, 02:07:54 PM »
Aoife's Chariot is an eBook which I got "free" on Kindle.  Do you have Kindle?  Anyway, it is set in Scotland, and I am really enjoying the mystery portion of it.  The author narrates more, with not a lot of dialogue between characters, but some places there's dialogue.  Mention is made of Lothian and all the other larger cities.  The main character is trying to finish up a "family tree" and of course, there's one person missing from the actual tree.  Not a bad book for a freebie!
Don't know if it's still free.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6357 on: April 20, 2014, 03:31:42 PM »
Tomereader: I can't find it on FF. Is Aoife the right spelling?

Turns out I have the first five of the Professor Simon series by Susan Shaber in my kindle archives. I started to reread one, and of course remembered it.

MaryPage

« Reply #6358 on: April 20, 2014, 07:22:46 PM »
Yes, Steph, I too have read four (4) of Camilla Lackberg's books in translation, and I believe I read that at least one movie has been made or is in the process of being made.  I need to check on it again and try to buy it if available on DVD with subtitles.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #6359 on: April 21, 2014, 02:59:29 AM »
Hi Tomereader - I do have Kindle, and I looked up the book - it sounds fun - I did find it but it isn't free, at least on UK Amazon, which doesn't have the same deals as the US one.  I'll check back from time to time as these things do of course change frequently.

Thanks,

Rosemary