Author Topic: Mystery Corner  (Read 158204 times)

mabel1015j

Re: Mystery Corner
« Reply #280 on: March 07, 2009, 01:55:58 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

Loved the Gillian Robts' book "The Bluest Blood" - will be reading more of hers. Part of the attraction is that i live 12 mi from Center City PHila and recognize many of the details, including her comment in this book that it was "first Friday" which is a night when the restaurants, galleries and shops have something special going on and it's fun to stroll the streets of Center City to see what's happening.....................her characters also include bits and pieces of history or trivia about the city and its environs..........in this book she commented about Fairmount Park and the fact that it was named by Ben Franklin's comment that "this was a fair mount for a park." I think it is the largest open space park in any city in the country - another one of things we have to thank Ben for..........jean

hats

« Reply #281 on: March 07, 2009, 01:56:24 PM »
I am enjoying "A Free Man of Color" by Barbara Hambly. The story takes place in New Orleans. The main character is Benjamin January. He is a doctor and a musician.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/barbara-hambly/free-man-of-color.htm

These are the other books in the series.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/search/?searchfor=book&keywords=benjamin+january

Steph

« Reply #282 on: March 07, 2009, 01:57:01 PM »
I love Elizabeth George except  for the last one excusing the boy who killled Helen.. That was not a fun book and never finished it. Otherwise, I have read them all. I was way too fond of Helen to want her dead..
Louise Penny.. new author , must look her up.
Still working away at the Lauri King.. The man helps in the child abuse network, rescuing women and children from abusers.. Very difficult to read, but worth it.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

hats

« Reply #283 on: March 07, 2009, 02:00:59 PM »
I want to read the Elizabeth George series. I try to avoid reading what happens in the last book. Everybody talks about that book forgetting some of us haven't begun the series yet.

mabel1015j

« Reply #284 on: March 07, 2009, 02:13:31 PM »
Hats - that series sounds interesting, are the time-frames historical or contemporary?...................jean

hats

« Reply #285 on: March 07, 2009, 02:14:41 PM »
Mabel,

They are Historical mysteries. The Free Man of Color takes place during the 1830's.

mabel1015j

« Reply #286 on: March 07, 2009, 02:19:04 PM »
thanks, i'll check those out at the library.............jean

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #287 on: March 07, 2009, 04:27:45 PM »
Yes, here again is the link to the Agatha Award for Best mysteries without explicit sex, excessive gore, or gratuitous violence

http://www.bookawardsonline.com/agathas.html
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Golden State Poppy

• Connie
« Reply #288 on: March 07, 2009, 04:45:26 PM »
I am currently reading a book by Michael Connelly, who is an author who I always enjoy.  "Angels Flight" is a tram system in Los Angeles with two trams that go up and down a hill.  It is also about the fear of race riots after the Rodney King riots.  A lawyer, who has sued the LA police many times is about to do it again when he is killed on Angels Flight.  It is feared that a cop did it and threatens to set the rioting off again.  Hieronymus Bosch is the hero who is afraid he is losing his wife because of his police work.  Well worth a read, IMO.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #289 on: March 07, 2009, 06:14:15 PM »
There is another series about a free man of color in New Orleans before the civil War, but I can't remember the author or the titles. Does anyone else? It's a fascinating background, with freed slaves, Creoles, french, Westerners, and Southerners mingling. The freed slaves were constantly in danger of being (illegally) returned to slavery, but in the meanwhile were able to acheive amazing things.

I berlieve the Agatha is awarded by "Sisters in Crime". A friend and I once tried to attend their convention, but were told it was sold out: that you had to register a year in advance.

The tea shop series sounds interesting. So does "Angel Flight". Not asy reading, but interesting.

Steph

« Reply #290 on: March 08, 2009, 09:11:19 AM »
Barbara Hambly wrote a series about a free man of color. Quite interesting. I have read most of them. Actually Anne Rice wrote way way back a really good book on people of color and their lives.. Now to remember the name. I read it quite a long time ago.

JudeS

« Reply #291 on: March 08, 2009, 02:53:49 PM »
BarbaraStAubrey

Thanks for the website of the Agatha Award.  I wrote down some of the winning titles and plan to use my gift certificate to Barnes and Noble to acquire them.  Received it in Dec.Couldn't decide what to spend it on.
I was happy to see that Anne Perry is a nominee for the prize.  She wrote a five book series on WW 1 which was just amazing.  My library carries those books but not her mysteries.
The five book series, though not a mystery, is an depth look at the lives of four adult siblings and their different experiences during this war. It is really an in depth and exciting look at how war changes people.

Jude

Steph

« Reply #292 on: March 09, 2009, 07:50:40 AM »
Time for a light break.. Soo am reading a Denise Swanson. I like this series. Her heroine is funny and mother ridden and altogether a neat character.. Murder of a Chocolate Covered Cherry.. which seems to be the latest.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #293 on: March 09, 2009, 03:37:09 PM »
I don't know the series. It sounds good.

Alexan

« Reply #294 on: March 09, 2009, 09:09:28 PM »
I am reading Elizabeth George - In pursuit of the proper sinner - it's an old one - I don't think I wanted to know that Helen was killed off later.    As was said not all of us have read the latest books.   

I haven't read much of George - this one was a large print edition which has been on my shelf since 2004.    I am going over some of the stuff on my shelves - like the P.D. James George has been on my shelves for quite a while and I'm just getting round to them.   

Steph

« Reply #295 on: March 10, 2009, 01:40:02 PM »
Sorry Alexan. We spent a lot of time discussing Elizabeth George in the old senior net and I had honestly forgotten that someone might not have read that one. Enjoy her anyway.She is an excellent writer.
I just started something that someone here mentioned. It is a mystery set in Storyville.. the old red light section of New Orleans. Absolutely fascinating. Mystery... historical... and a complicate social argument.. all wrapped in one. Excellent.

marjifay

« Reply #296 on: March 10, 2009, 05:04:28 PM »
Yes, Elizabeth George's mysteries are very good -- especially the ones with Sgt. Barbara Havers and her boss, Insp. Thomas Lynley.  Havers is a real kick--I love her!  This is the only series of which I've read every one.  And I do think it's best to read them in order if you can.
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #297 on: March 11, 2009, 08:03:58 AM »
I agree that Elizabeth George is one of those,, read in order authors. People change and grow in her books. I love Havers as well. She keeps shooting herself in the foot though in social activities..
I am reading David Fulmer.... Chsing the Devils Tail.. A perfectly wonderful book about Storyville in its jazz heyday.. A mystery among other things.

hats

« Reply #298 on: March 11, 2009, 12:08:00 PM »
I finished "Free Man of Color" by Barbara Hambly. I really enjoyed it. I feel as though I've just come back from Mardi Gras. No, I've never really been to Mardi Gras. Anyway, the mystery plot and the setting are wonderful.

JudeS

« Reply #299 on: March 11, 2009, 01:03:33 PM »
There is a PBS series with Inspector Lynley and Barbara Havers.
In my opinion it's not as good as the books.  The actress who plays Barbara is excellent but the Lynley character is good only in the first episodes and then seems to falter.  Still, fun to watch.

I bought three books by (mystery) award winning authors , whom I haven't read, for a trip we are taking in ten days. Won't read them till then:
Murder with Peacocks by Donna Andrews
The Cruelest Month by Louise Penny 
Traitors Gate by Anne Perry (Read her non- mystery novels)

Jude

Alexan

« Reply #300 on: March 11, 2009, 03:03:48 PM »
I have found that usually movies and TV series are not as good as the books.   

I receive a e-mail newsletter from Bantam -Dell people called "Blood on the Page" - it's quite interesting with the latest mysteries.

This current newsletter features Barry Eisler "Fault Line" - Excerpt from Chapter one:

"The last thing Richard Hilzoy thought before the bullet entered his brain was, ‘Things are really looking up.’”

You can google if you want to subscribe to this newsletter.

Golden State Poppy

• Connie
« Reply #301 on: March 11, 2009, 05:42:56 PM »
I just finished "The Big Picture" by Douglas Kennedy.  It is part of a four book edition of Reader's Digest Condensed books.  It is written by the murderer who kills someone by accident and then the rest of the book is about the cover-up.  It is one of the few time I have found myself rooting for the killer.  It has a satisfactory ending, however.  He is punished in a different way than I would have thought.

Tomereader1

« Reply #302 on: March 11, 2009, 07:09:24 PM »
Poppy, what year of Reader's Digest Condensed Books?  Is it recent?  I have many older ones, but no newer ones.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #303 on: March 11, 2009, 07:28:14 PM »
JUDE: you managed to pick up three of my favorite authors. Let us know how you like them.

POPPY:They still makr Readers Digest condensed books? I used to devour them when I was a kid.

Speaking of poppies, I posted some pictures of California poppies in poetry, and the Easterners were astonished at their beauty. I never saw a poppy till I moved to California. I didn't even know what they were.

Steph

« Reply #304 on: March 12, 2009, 08:04:04 AM »
Donna Andrews is truly a funny write. Know you will enjoy the Peacocks one. I have read it.
Barbara Hambly wrote quite a lot of books with this continuing character. Some are more fun than others. Finished the one I have been reading.  David Fulmer writes of New Orleans and Storyville and people of color..Interesting writer.

Babi

« Reply #305 on: March 12, 2009, 09:00:27 AM »
JUDE, I haven't read the first two, but you'll find the Anne Perry book excellent, IMO.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mabel1015j

« Reply #306 on: March 12, 2009, 02:27:14 PM »
Holy Cow! Our library has 92 publications by Anne Perry. However, they have none by Louise Perry. I've put Andrews on my TBR list, need a laugh.......................jean

JudeS

« Reply #307 on: March 12, 2009, 03:59:41 PM »
Mabel
Your Library hasn't got Louise PERRY because her name is Louise PENNY as in  "A Penny for your thoughts"'.

However Anne Perry may so rich and famous by now that she might throw a penny our way if we asked nicely and if our thoughts about her were really, really nice.

mabel1015j

« Reply #308 on: March 12, 2009, 05:15:27 PM »
hahaha - yes, of course, i just went from Anne to Louise and didn't pay attention..........thanks for catching my wondering/wandering brain..............jean

Golden State Poppy

• Connie
« Reply #309 on: March 12, 2009, 06:25:04 PM »
http://www.marciamuller.com/

I am reading one of her Sharon McCone mysteries, "Leave a Message for Willie".  I am not sure of I read her books years ago or not, but this one was published in 1984.  I find it most interesting.  It is set in San Francisco where she works as a PI.  Her web site says her hobby is building miniature buildings so she has built one of the All Sould Legal Clinic and her home which she describes in her books.   She is happily married and now lives in Sonoma County.

Steph

« Reply #310 on: March 13, 2009, 07:50:02 AM »
I like Sharon much more than Kinsey of the detectives in California. Marcia Muller is married to another mystery writer.. I like her mysteries a lot. They have a nice atmosphere to them.. Sharon grows up and changes throughout the series.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #311 on: March 13, 2009, 02:44:52 PM »
Marcia Muller really has the title of "Founding Mother" of the "tough gal" mysteries -- she did it first, and everyone else, including Grafton, imitated her. I really like the early ones, but lately It seems to me she has lost her way. She had to abandon that 60's-70's atmosphere -- it's dated now, but when she did the charm of the books went with it IMO.

Golden State Poppy

• Connie
« Reply #312 on: March 13, 2009, 04:58:32 PM »
The Readers Digest book was published in 1997, volume 6.  It contains four books, "Pretend you don't see her" by Mary Higgins Clark, "A place to call home" by Deborah Smith, "Chromosone 6" by Rob in Cook, "The Big Picture" by douglas Kennedy.  I ordered it from Amazon for $.01 since I only order used books and then pay $3.99 for the shipping so I assume that bookstore they farm it out to makes their money.

I find that I am panicked when I don't have anything to read so I am relieved to get two in the mail today.  I am finishing up the one by Marcia Muller, "Leave a message for Willie".

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #313 on: March 13, 2009, 05:37:43 PM »
Alexan, I just finished an older P.D. James – Original Sin, all about the goings-on at the Peverell House Publishing.  The film version was on PBS several years ago.  I enjoyed it, but haven’t read much of her works.

I used to really like Elizabeth George and had read all her books up until ---- the disaster hit.  I can’t remember the titles of all of them, but I especially enjoyed the one where Havers went to the seashore and got involved with her little neighbor girl.   At one time I had hopes for the PBS productions of her books, but now I think they are sooooooooooo bad.

Do you all miss Colin Dexter – and Inspector Morse, along with John Thaw?  There’s something about the British mystery writers (I know – E. George is not British) that seems to give their books a bit more depth. 

have found that usually movies and TV series are not as good as the books.
   from Alexan

That’s often the case, but I’ve never been disappointed with an Inspector Morse film that was based on the book.

JoanK,  had not heard of Gillian Roberts before, but I’m a sucker for school teacher mysteries, so will sure have to give her a try.  And our library has several.

EvelynMC

« Reply #314 on: March 13, 2009, 09:56:50 PM »
I am listening to P.D. James, "Private Patient" on audio books.  It is very entertaining.  I put the regular book on hold Jan 5, and am to No. 6 on the list. Then the other day I walked into the library and saw the audio book on the shelf.

The book is 15hours long.  It is really good.  I like P.D. James.

Alexan

« Reply #315 on: March 13, 2009, 10:02:47 PM »
Pedln: I saw the Morse series on TV - He wasn't my favourite character for some reason - couldn't really take to him at all.    I was really depressed with the last one I saw a long time ago in which Morse has a heart attack and dies.  It was very drawn out and boring.   (Sorry, I know I had been agreeing with the statement that I hadn't really wanted to know that Helen had died and there I go saying that Morse died.   Hope nobody was upset.)

Of the TV series I have seen my favourite is "A touch of Frost".   I really like that character.  Author R.D.Wingfield.

I haven't finished the Elizabeth George I am reading - I am enjoying that one - "In pursuit of the proper sinner".

I am going to get another Steven Berry from the library after I've finished this one.   I mentioned I had read "The third secret" .  

Frybabe

« Reply #316 on: March 13, 2009, 11:06:53 PM »
Alexan, funny you should mention The Third Secret. I just started reading it today. :)

Babi

« Reply #317 on: March 14, 2009, 10:17:11 AM »
I found a notice in "Bookpage" that Walter Mosley is launching a new series. The first one, "The Long Fall is scheduled to be out in March. The new series is set in N.Y., and stars a boxer-turned-PI.  Well, he should certainly be able to defend himself well in a fight.  ::)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #318 on: March 14, 2009, 02:10:46 PM »
I like most English mystery writers, not all, but most of them. Its actually hard to remember that E. George is not English. She really has the people down to a science. We have english friends and it is always surprising to me that they have a certain attitude about certain classes in England. And... of course the famous thing years ago, when I first met them. I was invited to have a cup of t ea.. She offered me milk, which startled me and I said, no just lemon and then out of the pot came a snarling black stuff.. Whew.. She laughed and said she loved fierce tea.. From then on.. it was milk in it and lots of it.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #319 on: March 14, 2009, 06:18:05 PM »
I didn't even realize that George wasn't British until recently. Probably a Brit could tell at once?

Steph: ha ha on the tea. (I love "snarling black stuff"). But we yanks get our revenge. Here, if you ask for cream in your tea, you're likely to get both tea AND lemon. Nicely curdled.