Author Topic: Non-Fiction  (Read 434424 times)

mabel1015j

Re: Non-Fiction
« Reply #1520 on: January 16, 2011, 11:58:20 AM »

TO NONFICTION BOOK TALK

What are you reading?  Autobiographies, biographies, history, politics?

Tell us about the book; the good and the bad of it. 

Let's talk books!

Discussion Leader: HaroldArnold

My favorite McCullough book was John Adams but, of course, he had endearing and interesting characters - the Adams - to work with. The book abt the building of tbe Brooklyn bridge bcm tedious after a while. I did also like Mornings on Horseback abt Theodore Roosevelt, it gave a great insight to how TR became TR and the same was true, for me, of Truman.

Jean

CubFan

« Reply #1521 on: January 16, 2011, 02:37:20 PM »
Greetings,
I have liked all the books of David McCullough but the two I enjoyed the most were the building of the Panama Canal ( The Path Between the Seas) and the Brooklyn bridge (The Great Bridge) because I learned so much from each of them. Every time I see the Brooklyn bridge I just stand there in awe. Of the books about people the two that impressed me the most were Truman (I changed my whole opinion of him) and John Adams. I've read several books about John Adams but I felt that this one really brought out his personality. I also enjoy listening to David talk about his books.

Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1522 on: January 17, 2011, 09:47:37 AM »
If you like history, American history, come on over to the EMPIRE OF THE RISING SUN by S.C. Gwynne, sign in, join us as we start the discussion February lst.

The book has been on the NYTimes nonfiction bestseller list for approximately five months, is well written.  It will be a good discussion.

serenesheila

« Reply #1523 on: January 26, 2011, 02:06:27 AM »
ELLA, and HAROLD, may I make a reccomendation for a future, non fiction discussion?  I hope so.  It is called:  "The Feminist Promise:  1792, to the Presant". by Christine Stansell.  I am finding it both interesting and facinating.  I would love to take part in a SL discussion of it.

During my education, there was almost no women's history available.  I find that sad.  I heard about Clara Barton, Betsy Ross, Jane Adams, and Elizabeth Cady.  No other women in my memory.  I was never taught about women's sufferage in France, at the time of their Revolution, in 1792.  Yet, my head is full of men's history.  I think that reading, and discussing this book, would help balance out my education.

Thanks for considering this.
Sheila

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1524 on: January 26, 2011, 09:00:51 AM »
YEs, we certainly will, Sheila. I'll look at it next visit to my library - is it a history of feminism or individuals who have made a difference?  Tell us more about it.

Did you notice, Sheila, that UNBROKEN by Laura Hillenbrand was at the top of the NYT Nonfiction list?  Such a good book.  I boght it and it is circulating among friends and I don't know who has it now, but I think I will recommend it to our condo book club.

serenesheila

« Reply #1525 on: January 27, 2011, 05:07:04 AM »
ELLA, I think it is about both.  The story of women's sufferage, around the world, is also the story of the women who worked for it.  I am not far enough into it, to be sure, yet.  I will post about it, periodically, as I read

Yes, I have noticed that "Unbroken" is at the top of the list.  So far, I have not begun reading it.  Am reading 4, other books, right now.  One of which is 'Empire of the Summer Moon."  It is really interesting!

Sheila

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #1526 on: February 02, 2011, 09:47:07 PM »
Speaking of women's history, I suggest reading a book that I am almost finished with and enjoying immensely.   Entitled "The Girl With the Gallery" by Lindsay Pollack, its a most interesting true story about the art world in NYC and elsewhere in the world over the 20th century and a very independent young lady who wanted to represent the American modern artists and to promote the Modern Art Market.  How she accomplished it, starting when she was 15 yrs old and met Alfred Steiglitz at his art dealership called "291"  is quite a story.
Edith Gregor Halpert was born in Odessa, Russia in 1900.  She was 6yrs old when the pograms against the Jews started.  Since her mother, Frances, was widowed and raising Edith and her sister, Sonia alone, she decided to take the girls and move to the U.S.  Frances had a brother living in NYC and she took an apartment in Harlem.

The author is a journalist for Bloomberg News.  She also writes for ARTNews, Art & Auction and the Art Newspaper.  She has also worked for Sotheby's auction house. She knows the world of art!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Babi

« Reply #1527 on: February 03, 2011, 08:17:06 AM »
 Any relation to Jackson Pollack, I wonder??
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Gumtree

« Reply #1528 on: February 03, 2011, 11:21:28 AM »
Good Question !
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #1529 on: February 03, 2011, 12:02:47 PM »

As to the Gallery authors's last name of Pollack, I thought that maybe she was related to Jackson also but couldn't find any reference to that idea on "Google".
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1530 on: February 03, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »
That sounds like a really interesting book.  Will check with my library.

joyous

« Reply #1531 on: February 03, 2011, 01:50:29 PM »

Unbroken has a wait-list of 21 at my library. That tells me that it is worth
waiting for.
JOY

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #1532 on: February 03, 2011, 06:26:13 PM »
Only 21?? I am in line for the large print because its only 56 waiting through.  The regular print is 276 long!  Uggggg!

Babi

« Reply #1533 on: February 04, 2011, 08:45:55 AM »
 You can probably buy the book second-hand before you come up on
that list, ANNIE.  :D
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #1534 on: February 04, 2011, 01:53:34 PM »
Ella has offered me her copy of "Unbroken"!!  Should I say 'yes'?  That doesn't take much thought!  Thanks, Ella. 

serenesheila

« Reply #1535 on: February 10, 2011, 05:38:47 AM »
I would like to suggest two, non fiction books, for our discussion.  How can I do that?  One is:  "The Feminist Promise: 1792 to the Present", by Christine Stansell.  The other is:  "American Ceasars", by Nigel Hamilton.

Sheila

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1536 on: February 14, 2011, 08:09:34 AM »
Thank you all for your suggestions.

I have a question.  It is my turn at my condo book club to suggest our next book.  I am thinking of WEST WITH THE NIGHT by Beryl Markham - what do you think?

As much older book, but wonderful to read!  Our library doesn't have many copies but I can buy one or two very good used ones for $3.50 each.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1537 on: February 14, 2011, 12:53:01 PM »
Thomas Fleming, historian and fiction writer has an interesting article in the History Network News where he is " channeling Geo Washington", sending his valentine to the ladies, a fun and informative article. 

http://hnn.us/articles/136241.html

I was just talking w/a friend abt The Feminist Promise, she's going to loan me her copy. I'd love to read and discuss it w/ this group. Jean

Frybabe

« Reply #1538 on: February 14, 2011, 01:36:40 PM »
West with the Night is on my radar, but I haven't bought it yet. Trying to catch up on my giant stack before buying more. There seems to be some controversy as to whether she wrote the book or  whether her 3rd husband did.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #1539 on: February 15, 2011, 12:35:16 PM »
Hey Mabel,
What a treat to read that interview!  Just delightful!  And I noticed that one can continue to read "Channeling George Washington" articles by clicking on a link provided.  That's what I will be doing for today!  Wait, company is coming tomorrow!  Must finish up the house cleaning!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1540 on: February 19, 2011, 04:13:00 PM »
I enjoyed "Channeling george". Those stories are told in greater detail in "Founding Mothers" which we discussed a while ago. Although I don't remember the story of spy 355.

Benedict Arnold's wife was also a spy. She had so fooled the American generals, that even after Arnold was detected, they assumed she was innocent until further information came to light. She managed to escape to England. But Washington definately wouldn't be sending a valentine to her: he was one of those fooled by her!

roshanarose

« Reply #1541 on: February 19, 2011, 11:03:18 PM »
I have "adopted" an American Lady!!  She was born 1732 and died 1769.  I took a rubbing of her grave stone which I found in Town Hill Cemetery, Lincoln, Middlesex County, Massachussetts, when I was in Boston.  I don't remember how I got to this graveyard, but it was on a hill along with many other old gravestones.  I brought the rubbing back to Australia and told myself that one day I would do a search for her.  So I did...

Her name was Kezia nee Conant Adams and before she married she came from Concord.  She was a descendant of one Roger Conant who was christened in England in 1592.  He had been a "salter" but wanted to seek his fortune in America.  He arrived in New England, Plymouth and then moved to Nantasket. (I don't have a date, but possibly he would have been between 20 and 30.)  He was offered a position as Governor at Cape Ann.  After that I couldn't find any more about him, but I am pretty sure that he was related to my Kezia.  I wonder what he and Kezia would have thought if they knew that a rubbing of her gravestone was now lovingly kept by an Australian woman.  Australia wasn't even thought of in 1592.  Living history fascinates me as does ancient, as most of you know.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

mabel1015j

« Reply #1542 on: February 19, 2011, 11:52:33 PM »
I saw on one of the "history'mystery" type show on the History Channel - i'm not sure if that is the title of the show or not, might be- but it was about spies in the Am Rev'n and ended w/a long segment on spy 355.

I grew up in Shippensburg, Pa. and it had a stationary shop called The Peggy Shippen Shoppe. I'm sure the owner thot that was a cute feminine name related to the town. PS was a niece of our founder, and i'm sure the owner knew nothing else abt her, or she probably  wouldn't have put that name on her shop or have wanted her shop associated w/ Benedict Arnold or the REAL Peggy Shippen!

mabel1015j

« Reply #1543 on: February 22, 2011, 04:21:32 PM »
The History Channel is showing their usual stories abt the presidents this presidents day week. They have a very interesting docu on Jackson, a man of dichotomy.    Jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1544 on: February 24, 2011, 03:38:52 PM »
PBS had an interesting film on Jimmy Carter. But I wish they had spent more time on his activities after his presidency.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1545 on: February 24, 2011, 04:25:52 PM »
A friend just loaned me herbook "First Family" by Joseph Ellis about John and Abigail Adams. Has anybody read it? I'll be curious to compare it to MCCullogh's John Adams. ....... Jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1546 on: February 25, 2011, 07:51:28 PM »
No, I enjoyed MCCullogh's John Adams a lot. Let me know how it is.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1547 on: February 27, 2011, 01:34:23 PM »
Have, any of you seen any of the broadcasts of college and university classrooms presentations on CSPAN's American History TV channel? What a brilliant idea! To give everybody a chance to hear these experts in their field, to put us "in" the class rooms of our great universities.............I'm in heaven,  and have sent CSPAN an email thanking them for giving me this privilege. I'm watching a seminar in Women and the Civil War from Purdue, given by Caroline Janney. It's nice to know college students are learning some women's history....... Jean

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1548 on: February 27, 2011, 01:41:09 PM »
I love all CSpan channels!  We only get three in the package we subscribe to, but I'm so glad to have those. 
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Babi

« Reply #1549 on: February 28, 2011, 08:32:29 AM »
What a great idea, JEAN. I'm not certain what CSPAN channels we have,
if any.  I'll need to check on that.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1550 on: February 28, 2011, 09:49:09 AM »
I have all three C-Span channels, Jean.
When do they show these classroom presentations?  Is there a website that you can look at to see when one might care to tune in?

I didn't watch BookTV at all this weekend, I hope I didn't miss a good one, did I?

I did watch the Oscars, and I thought it was the worst in years!  Why do I watch those stupid shows?  I agreed with them that Colin Firth was great in THE KING'S SPEECH.  The remark between Helen Mirren and Colin was funny (she having been Queen Elizabeth and Colin her father)- about the only humorous thing the whole night!

You need a good MC to anchor the show and the young generation cannot produce one, it seems to me.

I heard a remark from some critic on TV that movies used to be for family, particularly for women.  Now they are all for men, war, fighting, science fiction, action, action.  

Do you find that to be true?

marjifay

« Reply #1551 on: February 28, 2011, 10:58:01 AM »
Ella said "I heard a remark from some critic on TV that movies used to be for family, particularly for women.  Now they are all for men, war, fighting, science fiction, action, action.  Do you find that to be true?"

Yes, I think too many of them are for young men and involve IMO too much of the technical stuff they use now to make the movies exciting, but to me are just boring.  But guess who buys all the tickets for the theater while most of us watch Netflix?

And they can't seem to write really good humor for the program's hosts, just same old trite stuff.  They showed a scene from when Bob Hope hosted the Awards way back when, and he was funny.

However, there were some excellent films nominated this year, and some with excellent roles for women, including Melissa Leo who was fantastic as the mother in The Fighter, Winter's Bone, Black Swan, and a few I haven't seen yet. 

Speaking of films for the family, I've heard that Toy Story 3 is a wonderful film.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

marjifay

« Reply #1552 on: February 28, 2011, 11:14:21 AM »
I didn't know CSpan had a classroom.  Which CSpan channel is it?

Ella, you do know, do you not, that you can read the BookTV schedule online at BookTV.org.  And you can also watch a lot of the programs you miss by going to that website. I get a lot of great recommendations for nonfiction books from that website, as I often don't have time to watch the program.  I did watch the debate this weekend on what to do with illegal aliens, and just got my innards in an uproar doing so.  Those who want to grant them all amnesty can come up with some really dumb names for them, IMO, like "irregular persons" I think one academic philosophy professor likes to call them.  

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1553 on: February 28, 2011, 11:45:36 AM »
marj, Toy Store 3 is great - definitely will get you emotionally involved.  Also see Up and Despicable Me. 
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

mabel1015j

« Reply #1554 on: February 28, 2011, 01:26:23 PM »
The programs i was talking abt, viewing history lectures from college classrooms, is on CSPAN's American history tv channel, CSPAN 3. Yes, you can see the schedule on either CSPAN.org, which shows the schedules for all 3 channels, or Americanhistorytv.org. Yes, i think all their programs, especially the history prigrams are in their archives...... Jean

marjifay

« Reply #1555 on: February 28, 2011, 05:30:49 PM »
Jean said, "The programs i was talking abt, viewing history lectures from college classrooms, is on CSPAN's American history tv channel, CSPAN 3. Yes, you can see the schedule on either CSPAN.org, which shows the schedules for all 3 channels, or Americanhistorytv.org. Yes, i think all their programs, especially the history prigrams are in their archives"

Thanks, Jean.  I have CSpan 3 -- will look for the classroom schedule.

Marj

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1556 on: March 01, 2011, 01:53:13 AM »
I think I don't have CSPAN3. And I should. It's supposed to be free.

AMICAH

« Reply #1557 on: March 02, 2011, 10:10:36 AM »
I have found many classes and courses from Yale, Harvard etc [17 in all ] originally I started at Harvard's JUSTICE  with prof Sandel. You can find it on u tube and search from there for other courses available. It's a wonderful advantage. I think you can practically get a 2 yr. liberal arts education.
AMICAH

mabel1015j

« Reply #1558 on: March 02, 2011, 11:40:28 AM »
Youtube and hulu also provide video of college classes, or other educational scources. Here is a site that talks abt them and gives links to them.

http://m.lifehacker.com/5185679/youtube-edu-brings-free-education-to-the-masses

mabel1015j

« Reply #1559 on: March 02, 2011, 11:52:27 AM »
If you go to youtube/education, the first screen up today is alot of junky things abt Gharlie Sheen, etc. Put a subject in the search line to see lectures that interest you......

Itunes also has a "U", here's a link to learn abt it

http://www.apple.com/education/itunes-u/whats-on.html

Jean