Author Topic: Non-Fiction  (Read 423936 times)

Ella Gibbons

Re: Non-Fiction
« Reply #800 on: January 20, 2010, 09:35:18 AM »

TO NONFICTION BOOK TALK

What are you reading?  Autobiographies, biographies, history, politics?

Tell us about the book; the good and the bad of it. 

Let's talk books!

Discussion Leader: HaroldArnold

What a subject FDR is and has been for authors and it continues!  Not long ago we finished a month-long discussion of his Secretary of Labor, Frances Perkins, and now I have just read a very good book about Louis Howe, his life, his genius for strategic pollitical thinking; credited with putting FDR in the White House for which he has received little acclaim over the years.  Anyone who has read of FDR has seen his name in print, but to read of his life was very interesting. 

The author was Julie Fenster, who has written a book titled THE CASE OF ABRAHAN LINCOLN, which I think I will get at the library.  Another endless subject for authors.

Whatcha' all reading?

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #801 on: January 23, 2010, 02:48:07 PM »
Babi,
On finishing Poitier's book, I changed my opinion of this book.  I found him trying to maintain the moral lessons and wonderful upbringing that he had on Cat Island plus let us know his parents and their decision to send him to Nassau and then up to NYC.  He feels that this is the story of his spiritual journey thru life.  My mom always quoted Shakespeare's line to us as we grew up:  "To thy own self, be true."  I feel that this man was trying to do just that.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Babi

« Reply #802 on: January 24, 2010, 08:44:45 AM »
 Thank you, ANNIE.  That has always been my impression of the manl
I'm glad to hear that has come through in the book. I will search for a
copy of "Stand As A Man".
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #803 on: January 24, 2010, 10:55:07 AM »
Babi
The title is "The Measure of a Man".  I think you will enjoy it.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Babi

« Reply #804 on: January 25, 2010, 09:37:35 AM »
Oh, thanks, ANNIE.  I'd have had a hard time finding it under the wrong
title, wouldn't I.  ::)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

HaroldArnold

Re: Non-Fiction; My Recent Nonfiction Reading
« Reply #805 on: January 25, 2010, 05:19:30 PM »
Does anyone here read E books?  I have never been keen about reading from a computer screen.  I have frequently printed hard copies of 20 to 30 pages Adobe Reader reports that I frequently receive by E-mail from my broker to avoid reading them from the screne. None the less Books for reading on-line have been available for purchase from both Amazon.com and the B&N on line book store.  Now there will soon be another on-line bookstore resulting from today’s announcement by Apple of the soon to be Apple’s I-Bookstore and I-Pad Tablet.  Actually the I-Pad Tablet will do much more than just read books purchased from the I-Bookstore.  (See the 10 things to do with my Apple I pad link below)  The cost of the 10in screen instrument begins at $499.  Click the following links for more information on this new Apple product
Apple Launches iPad Tablet, iBooks Bookstore    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2358480,00.asp
10 things to do with my Apple I pad   http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2358187,00.asp

Yesterday I downloaded the B&N reader available free from B&N from http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks/index.asp .  You can download the reader for your I-Phone, Blackberry, Dos PC or Mac PC.  I downloaded it for my Dos PC.  Included were three free books Pride and Prejudice, Little Women, and a Merriam Webster Pocket Dictionary.  I found reading from the books on my 22” Monitor using my single vision computer glasses easier than I had thought it would be.  Also the software allows the user to easily highlight key sentences or paragraphs for future study.  I just might try an E-book read of my next Seniorlearn discussion.  I don’t think I would find reading a book from the little I-Phone or Blackberry screens either practable or enjoyable.

Frybabe

« Reply #806 on: January 25, 2010, 07:13:14 PM »
Thanks for the synopsis, Harold. I vaguely remember reading an article, years ago, that sounds very much like this expedition.

Babi

« Reply #807 on: January 26, 2010, 08:29:16 AM »
That's fascinating, HAROLD. As a Texan, you would think I knew about the French expedition to the Texas Coast. I don't remember that from my Texas history schoolbooks.  I have always associated the French explorations with Louisiana and the Mississippi. I suppose Fort Louis had to brief a life to get much attention in the history books. Sadly, the
Karankawas did not survive European settlement.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #808 on: January 26, 2010, 08:35:58 AM »
I have just watched a program about Winston Churchill and a new book about him.  The title escapes me but the author said that Churchill main talents were his writings plus his painting.  He was a born writer and much the interview took place in his library where the first book that he wrote is ensconced in a place of honor.  This might be something that the non fiction DL's would be interested in for this spring.  Looking up the title, I found, :
"Churchill" by Paul Johnson, only 192 pages..  I think I will try for a library copy and see what its all about.
If anyone is interested, here's a link to Churchill's writings:
http://www.churchillbooks.com/guide.cfm

I did not know that Churchill wrote a novel,too.  "Savorala" circa 1900.

I was lucky enough to tour where he was born while in England and there found a room dedicated to his letters to his parents from his boarding school.  He was nine years old and already writing prolifically!  Amazing to read and I was so engrossed by his words that I almost missed the bus to return to our hotel.  Our day was dedicated to Churchill so we toured the cemetery where he was interned before touring the mansion where he was born.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #809 on: January 26, 2010, 08:53:11 AM »
Just a small addition here.  When I searched for this book at my library and found it, there was already a waiting line of 3 people.  And there are nine copies at the library. Maybe the fact that it is short, I can look forward to reading it in February.  Well, that won't do as we are discussing "America's Prophet" starting on Monday.  Well, do join us then.

HaroldArnold

Re: Non-Fiction: Wionston Churchill
« Reply #810 on: January 26, 2010, 09:42:32 AM »
I remember Winston Churchill particularly from his WW II speeches.  He was the last of the old school orators.  Yet his speeches were always concise and to the point delivered in a clear well articulated voice that blended well with the occasional burst of static coming from my shortwave radio on which I sometimes first hear them.  One of his biographies would make a good discussion..    

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #811 on: January 26, 2010, 11:43:57 AM »
Well, there we have it!

Several nonfiction books to look up at the library.  Churchill and what a subject he is!  We have, no doubt, discussed WWII in length in other books, but not on Churchill's life.  And Clementine, I wonder if there is a book about her life?  Did they have a happy marriage? 

The French and the Spanish in Texas, HAROLD!  And the LaSalle book sounds great!  I must look it up in the Library when I get there. 

Do you have a copy Harold?  Do you think it would make a good discussion? 

I was just reading in TIME about the Spanish and the French in Haiti.  The Spanish held the island utnil 1697 when they ceded it to France.  It wasn't until 1804 that Haiti became independent; although the U.S. under Woodrow Wilson tried to unite the forces in Haiti (1915-1934)

Those early French and Spanish explorers attempted to gain land everywhere.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #812 on: January 26, 2010, 12:33:53 PM »

HaroldArnold

Re: Non-Fiction-Churchil in the U.S.
« Reply #813 on: January 26, 2010, 04:27:20 PM »
I must mention than one of our North San Antonio local high schools built in the 1960's is named after Winston Churchill.  He was well liked in the United States and I am sure other local schools etc carry his name today.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #814 on: January 27, 2010, 06:34:39 AM »
Even if we don't discuss "Lone Survivor", I would think it most interesting.  The synopsis is well done.

HaroldArnold

« Reply #815 on: January 27, 2010, 11:24:39 AM »
Ella in Message #811 wrote:

> I was just reading in TIME about the Spanish and the French in Haiti.  The Spanish held the island until 1697 when they    ceded it to France.  It wasn't until 1804 that Haiti became independent; although the U.S. under Woodrow Wilson tried to unite the forces in Haiti (1915-1934)

In September 1684 the La Salle Expedition made its first new world land fall on Hispaniola (Saint Dominguez).  At that time the island was already French.   Today the country of Haiti shares this island with the Dominican Republic (See map at http://www.lonelyplanet.com/maps/caribbean/haiti/  ).  At that time there was a French colonial administration but it was very weak and assorted pirates pretty well controlled the eastern part of the Island.    One of La Salle’s 4 ships had been separated from the fleet.  As it approached the Haitian port, it was captured by pirates and lost.  The Spanish got their first information on the pending French colony a few months later from prisoners capture after a pirate raid on the coast of Mexico.

At the time health condition on the Island were deplorable.  Many of French crew and would be settlers became ill with various diseases; many died.  La Salle came down with a fever and for many days lingered on the verge of death.  He recovered but the illness may have been a factor effecting his later decisions.  The effect of other linger diseases such as syphilis most certainly affected the ability of the colonists to function in the wilderness environment.  The fleet departed Haiti heading North on Nov 30, 1684

HaroldArnold

Re: Non-Fiction-E-Book Reading on line
« Reply #816 on: January 27, 2010, 04:40:17 PM »
Does anyone here read E books?  I have never been keen about reading from a computer screen.  I have frequently printed hard copies of 20 to 30 pages Adobe Reader reports that I frequently receive by E-mail from my broker to avoid reading them from the screne. None the less Books for reading on-line have been available for purchase from both Amazon.com and the B&N on line book store.  Now there will soon be another on-line bookstore resulting from today’s announcement by Apple of the soon to be Apple’s I-Bookstore and I-Pad Tablet.  Actually the I-Pad Tablet will do much more than just read books purchased from the I-Bookstore.  (See the 10 things to do with my Apple I pad link below)  The cost of the 10in screen instrument begins at $499.  Click the following links for more information on this new Apple product
Apple Launches iPad Tablet, iBooks Bookstore    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2358480,00.asp     
10 things to do with my Apple I pad   http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2358187,00.asp

Yesterday I downloaded the B&N reader available free from B&N from http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks/index.asp.  You can download the reader for your I-Phone, Blackberry, Dos PC or Mac PC.  I downloaded it for my Dos PC.  Included were three free books Pride and Prejudice, Little Women, and a Merriam Webster Pocket Dictionary.  I found reading from the books on my 22” Monitor using my single vision computer glasses easier than I had thought it would be.  Also the software allows the user to easily highlight key sentences or paragraphs for future study.  I just might try an E-book read of my next Seniorlearn discussion.  I don’t think I would find reading a book from the little I-Phone or Blackberry screens either practical or enjoyable.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #817 on: January 27, 2010, 06:13:25 PM »
HAROLD, my daughter has a Kindle which she uses when she travels; easier to pack than 2-3 books.  I have looked at it and although it would be easier to read in bed (which I do), still I prefer the printed page.  She tells me that many books are free but they are ones that most of us have read before, etc., etc.

What you are saying (????) and what I read from that site you posted from B&N is that one can read a book from your computer screen? 

Is that correct?  What do you pay for the privilege of reading a book of your choice? 

I don't think I want to sit in front of my computer screen to read a book if that is what is offered?

I did get the book LONE SURVIVOR at the library, but my daughter stopped in and took it right away - she promises to bring it back.  It does look good, ANN.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #818 on: January 27, 2010, 06:16:04 PM »
HAROLD AND OTHERS?

I am looking for a good book on China, yesterday and today, tomorrow?

I brought home one from the library, but it is more like a textbook.

Don't you think it would make an excellent subject to discuss, explore?  Need I say how much the country is topical?

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #819 on: January 27, 2010, 06:59:26 PM »
Ella, I would recommend "China Road" by Rob Gifford.  Here's a link to NPR that says something about it.  We loved it - and learned a lot.  http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10474172

Harold, I have a Kindle and love it.  My prime reason for getting it is that it allows me to read larger books without the weight.  My hands just won't let me hold regular books comfortably.  There are a number of others on SeniorLearn who have Kindles, too.  I don't know if anybody has one of the other e-readers.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

marjifay

« Reply #820 on: January 27, 2010, 08:42:46 PM »
I agree with MaryZ that CHINA ROAD by Bob Gifford is a great read, one of my best of 2009.  Gifford, a PBS Correspondent, decided to travel on China's new highway from Shanhai, 3000 miles across China, along their old Silk Road, and through the Gobi Desert, to the border of one of the "-stan" countries.  He speaks good Chinese, and talked with people in all the towns where he stopped, and told some of the history of the different areas.  Very interesting to hear the people's comments on their country.  Some of the Muslim/Chinese people in the west and the Tibetan people are sad to see their way of life gradually disappearing, as their children are being taught the Chinese language and culture.  Fascinating book.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

marjifay

« Reply #821 on: January 27, 2010, 09:02:44 PM »
Ella, a couple of other books on China on my TBR list that look interesting to me and have gotten very good reviews:

RIVER TOWN; TWO YEARS ON THE YANGTZE by Peter Hessler

ORACLE BONES; A JOURNEY BETWEEN CHINA'S PAST AND PRESENT by
Peter Hessler

POSTCARDS FROM TOMORROW SQUARE; REPORTS FROM CHINA by James M. Fallows

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #822 on: January 28, 2010, 01:19:26 AM »
Going back to Haiti for a minute.. there is a book
named Toussaint of Haiti which looks very interesting.  It is about Toussaint L'Ouverture.  It is available at Amazon and is available on Kindle.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

Emily

« Reply #823 on: January 28, 2010, 11:22:39 PM »
The library in the small town near me has e-book and audio-book for download on the computer or other devices. It is called R.E.A.D.S. (Regional Ebook & Audiobook Download System).

Each ebook can be downloaded for fourteen days, and fifteen items can be selected at one time.

All the local libraries have the ebook and audiobook available for download to one's computer or other device in this area which is rural with small towns. Since I regularly order books from other libraries, this will mean, 'no waiting'.

I prefer a book in my hands, and do not read too much online, but the audiobooks on the small netbook by the bed is a winner.

The R.E.A.D.S. program has been available for a few months, and when I went in to pick up a book I had ordered recently, I saw their brochure and the rest is history.

Check your local library, the speed of technology changing daily is amazing.

Emily

winsummm

« Reply #824 on: January 29, 2010, 01:12:35 AM »
THE CUKOOES EGG  me too.  it seems a long time ago though. the cyber world has grown since.
Claire
thimk

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #825 on: January 29, 2010, 08:21:03 AM »
Ella,
Didn't I bring you a audio book titled "The Man Who Loved China"?  Did you get a chance to listen to it?  

The Cuckoo's Egg was just a really good book.  There is another old book about computers titled "The Soul of a New Machine" by Tracy Kidder.   I read that one in 1982, I think.  Was hooked immediately.

I watched Stephen Jobs present his "magical" new iPad.  Its got everything but a camera.  Sort of a combination of an iPhone and the iPod plus many other things.  Amazing!

winsummm

« Reply #826 on: January 29, 2010, 02:32:13 PM »
the ipod is really redundant. my sansum celll phone which came at a huge discount from my provider has all that and a camera as well. no touch screen but I like to feel the buttons and can text ffast as needed. upgrade HELL as I think of it.  I do love this new cyber world as a setting for thrillers and mysteries.

claire
thimk

marjifay

« Reply #827 on: January 29, 2010, 06:00:17 PM »
Thanks, Adoannie, for the link to the Chartwell Book Store's list of Churchill's books.  I can remember hearing him speak -- such a wonderful speaker.

Ella, I found a biography of Churchill's wife in my library:  MY DARLING CLEMENTINE; THE STORY OF LADY CHURCHILL by Jack Fishman (481 pp, 1963).  I have not read it.

There is a book about Churchill I've had on my TBR list for some time that sounds interesting:  TROUBLESOME YOUNG MEN; THE REBELS WHO BROUGHT CHURCHILL TO POWER AND HELPED SAVE ENGLAND by Lynn Olson (448 pp, 2007)

Marj

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #828 on: January 30, 2010, 09:32:01 AM »
THANK YOU ALL FOR THOSE SUGGESTIONS.  Now to get to the library.  I reserved Oracle Bones and Troublesome Young Men (2007).  The first paragraph of the Churchill book reads as follows:

"They were schooled at Eton and Harrow, Cambridge and Oxford. They lived in Belgravia and Mayfair and spent their weekends at sprawling country houses in Kent, Sussex, and Oxfordshire. They were part of the small, clubby network that dominated English society. And now, in May 1940, these Tory members of Parliament were doing the unthinkable: trying to topple Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain, the leader of their own party, from power."

Meanwhile I just finished a wonderful book titled THE BOOKSELLER OF KABUL by Anne Seierstad, a book that has been translated into 13 languages.  It is the story of one family in Afghanistan and after reading it, one wonders how the country can ever be brought into the 21st century.  They seem to be stuck in the 18th!  

A few unexpected insights in the book:

"The Russian troops withdrew in 1989.  A few months later the Berlin Wall fell, an event for which Rabbani (ex president of the country) takes credit, in addition to the breakup of the Soviet Union.  Had it not been for jihad, the whole world would still be in the Communist grip.  The Berlin Wall fell because of the wounds that we inflicted on the Soviet Union and the inspiration we gave all oppressed people.  We broke the Soviet Union up into fifteen parts.  We liberated people from Communism.  Jihad led to a freer world.  We saved the world because Communism met its grave here in Afghanistan."

There may be a grain of truth in that???

What do you think?

I'll look up that war and see how many Russian troops died there and a few more facts about it.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #829 on: January 30, 2010, 09:38:31 AM »
One paragraph of interest:

"The Soviet war in Afghanistan badly affected the rule of Communist Party. Many thought that the war was against Islam. This created strong feelings among the Muslim population of Central Asian Soviet Republics. The Soviet army was really in very low spirits or "morale" because they were unable to control the people and were treated only as invaders everywhere they went. Andrei Sakharov openly said the action of Soviet Army in Afghanistan was wrong.

Over 15,000 Soviet troops got killed in Afghanistan from 1979 until 1989. In the war, the Soviet Army also lost hundreds of aircraft, and billions worth of other military machines. Around a million Afghan men, women and children died in the war."

from:   http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_war_in_Afghanistan

marjifay

« Reply #830 on: January 30, 2010, 03:25:03 PM »
What book are you quoting from, Ella?

(A few unexpected insights in the book:

"The Russian troops withdrew in 1989.  A rew months later the Berlin Wall fell, an event for which Rabbani (ex president of the country) takes credit, in addition to the breakup of the Soviet Union.  Had it not been for jihad, the whole world would still be in the Communist grip.  The Berlin Wall fell because of the wounds that we inflicted on the Soviet Union and the inspiration we gave all oppressed people.  We broke the Soviet Union up into fifteen parts.  We liberated people from Communism.  Jihad led to a freer world.  We saved the world because Communism met its grave here in Afghanistan.")

Marj

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #831 on: January 31, 2010, 08:28:14 AM »
I was rambling, MARJ!

That paragraph was from the THE BOOKSELLER OF KABUL by Anne Seierstad,

A very good book, translated into 15 languages.

Frybabe

« Reply #832 on: January 31, 2010, 09:44:47 AM »
I agree with Ella, The Bookseller of Kabul is very good. My copy has since disappeared. I have a sneaky suspicion I lent it to someone and it never came back. Don't remember who.
Oh, well.

Another one you might consider is The Places In Between by Rory Stewart. Mr. Stewart walked, yes walked, from Iran to Kabul shortly after the Russians left Afghanistan.

Babi

« Reply #833 on: January 31, 2010, 10:27:17 AM »
 I read "The Bookseller of Kabul", ELLA, and found the family interaction
so upsetting it spoiled my enjoyment of the book. The treatment of the
women was infuriating, yet the women contributed to it by the way they
raised their sons. I had similar reactions to other books set in that
milieu. I suspect it will take a very special book to seduce me to read
another of that genre.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #834 on: January 31, 2010, 05:29:39 PM »
BABI, I agree with you, the book was upsetting and I don't think I want to read another that deals with families or women in the Muslim world. 

There but for the grace of God, go I.

I think the same thoughts when I see the terrible TV pics of Haiti.

marjifay

« Reply #835 on: January 31, 2010, 08:17:51 PM »
I'm reading a fascinating book that delves into the fundamentalist Islamic culture and has my eyes popping out -- A GOD WHO HATES by Dr. Wafa Sultan, a Muslim female physician who grew up in Syria, but now lives in the U.S.  She tells some very surprising and devastating stories of how these people think and act, but most interesting is her explanation of how Islam came into being and why it continues to be so harmful.  A very revealing book.

Marj

CubFan

« Reply #836 on: February 01, 2010, 11:00:25 AM »
Greetings -

A new biography I just heard about on C-SPAN last night

Pops: A life of Louis Armstrong  by Terry Teachout

from a review:
Wall Street Journal arts columnist Terry Teachout has drawn on a cache of important new sources unavailable to previous Armstrong biographers, including hundreds of private recordings of backstage and after-hours conversations that Armstrong made throughout the second half of his life, to craft a sweeping new narrative biography of this towering figure that shares full, accurate versions of such storied events as Armstrong's decision to break up his big band and his quarrel with President Eisenhower for the first time. Certain to be the definitive word on Armstrong for our generation.

I will place on my TBR shelf.  Looks like a good one.

Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #837 on: February 01, 2010, 12:46:29 PM »
I read "The Bookseller of Kabul" and was very glad I did.  It was well written and apparently an honest depiction of most family life in Afghanistan.  However, in "Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson, which many of you have read, the author tells of one of the tribesmen and his wife and the strong bond between them.  So, as in any culture, everyone is not identical in their actions.  If everyone was the same, Mortenson would not receive so much help from the Afghanistan men in building his schools for girls.

Mary, I heard Brian Lamb's Q & A with the author of "Pops: A life of Louis Armstrong" last night and it sure was interesting.

Babi

« Reply #838 on: February 02, 2010, 08:56:57 AM »
 I found "Three Cups of Tea" a very welcome alternative picture of Afghanistan.  Where the "Bookseller of Kabul" left a bad taste in my
mouth, the "Three Cups of Tea" was a refreshing restorative.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #839 on: February 02, 2010, 09:06:06 AM »
I watched Booknotes with Thomas Fleming and all about his new title  "The Intimate Lives of the Founding Fathers" and it also looks quite good.  The interviewer was a college history professor who really asked some interesting questions as did the audience participators.  Fleming gives top honors to Dolly Madison and Abigail Adams for helping to save the country, each in their own way.

I have reserved a copy of "The God Who Hates".

We covered Afghanistan and the treatment of women in "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by the same author of "The Kite Runner".  What always amazes me is the women's seemingly acceptance of their treatment.  As if that's just the way it is.