Author Topic: Non-Fiction  (Read 416641 times)

HaroldArnold

Re: Non-Fiction
« Reply #880 on: February 23, 2010, 01:03:10 PM »

TO NONFICTION BOOK TALK

What are you reading?  Autobiographies, biographies, history, politics?

Tell us about the book; the good and the bad of it.  

Let's talk books!

Discussion Leader: HaroldArnold

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding our proposed April discussion mentioned by Ella in Message #876 above of Troublesome Young Men The Rebels Who Brought Churchill to Power by Lynne Olson click the following links for detailed reviews published in leading periodicals

From the Guardian by Tristram Hunt http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2007/apr/28/featuresreviews.guardianreview4

And/or from the MY Times review by Jon Mecham   Click http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/books/review/Meacham.t.html

A heading formally announcing this discussion and soliciting the sign-up of participants will soon appear.  All of you are invited to join this discussion.

serenesheila

« Reply #881 on: February 24, 2010, 07:00:26 AM »
Ella, I was captivated by the program about the death of virtue.  I am so glad that I got it recorded.  Think I will order it for my kindle.  However, 800 pages is daunting.

Sheila

Babi

« Reply #882 on: February 24, 2010, 09:19:40 AM »
Wow!, ANNIE. Is the book that popular? #259?? I need to find out more
about it.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #883 on: February 24, 2010, 12:04:22 PM »

Babi,
A friend of mine said she saw the author interviewed on TV but didn't know if it was on network TV or CSPAN's Book TV. You might look it up on CSPAN's net site and see if its there.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

bookad

« Reply #884 on: February 24, 2010, 12:40:58 PM »
hello there
thank you to JoanK for introducing me to this site. 
I am an avid nonfiction reader presently in Brownsville, Texas where they have 2 great lending libraries, though a handicap is they allow only 7 books out per cardholder at a time.  Being Canadian we summer at home in central-Ontario where the libraries have no restrictions on the amount of books one can take home.
Have been keeping track of the books I have read since 1980; and since 2001 keeping track of them in an online database 'readersopinions.com'.  Have read a number of books about WW2 and periphery circumstances, but 2 books about the actual work of sabotage during the war particularly captivated me; 'Bodyguard of Lies' by Anthony Cave Brown & 'Intrepid' by William Stevenson.  The first book was very lengthy & detailed amazing undercover workings of the war.
Hoping to acquire a copy of the April group read, though we will be in transit homeward bound & may not be able to access the internet.
Looking forward to the group discussions.

Take care
Deb
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wildflower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #885 on: February 24, 2010, 12:56:04 PM »
HELLO DEB!

We are so happy to welcome a nonfiction reader and thanks for telling us of two WWII books you have read.  Books about sabotage.  Sound fascinating.

I hope you get back to Canada in time to join us in April!  When do you leave Texas? 

marjifay

« Reply #886 on: February 24, 2010, 07:25:02 PM »
Hi Deb!

Very nice to have another reader of nonfiction aboard.  The two books on WW2 you mentioned sound very interesting.  Have you read THE BITTER ROAD TO FREEDOM by William I. Hitchcock?  Very interesting book that tells the story of the DDay invasion from the point of view of those French people and other Europeans who were liberated and how they were dealt with by the allies after the Germans were defeated.

Marj

"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Babi

« Reply #887 on: February 25, 2010, 01:30:14 PM »
I'm not sure if we get CSPan, ANNIE. I rather think we don't, but I'll
check.

Welcome, DEB! Since my library checks out books for only two weeks at
a time, I couldn't handle seven books at a time, anyway. And since I'm
there once a week as a volunteer, I can always pick up another one or two if I need them.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #888 on: February 28, 2010, 05:18:19 PM »
If you were in America's Prophet discussion, please go in and say goodbye and read the message from our author, Bruce Feiler.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #889 on: March 01, 2010, 08:26:52 PM »
Two authors on BookTV were remarkable to listen to this weekend.  James M. Morris has written PULITZER: A Life in Politics and Michael Wolff's book is THE MAN WHO OWNS THE NEWS and is about Rupert Mudoch, a man we are all familar with who controls an empire. 

The press, in many diverse ways, plays such an important role in our lives.

An unbelievably biased press is described in our PROPOSED DISCUSSION - TROUBLESOME YOUNG MEN, by Lynne Olson - a book about the decade of English life before WWII developed.   I hope you will join us; just post here:

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=1187.0

bookad

nice to be here
« Reply #890 on: March 02, 2010, 07:21:21 AM »
Hello there

Thanks for the warm welcome
I quite enjoy reading books that encompass the periphery of an event i.e. an Englishwoman who just prior to WW2, married a German  and in  doing so was required to give up her English citizenship…and therefore spent the war in Germany ….how she lived in Germany, coped with shortages, meshed with those around her …fascinating read

Another book about a German family & their life in Germany prior & during the war…the book is written by the granddaughter.  Her Grandfather was involved in the military plot to assassinate Hitler,  & consequently hung. … I found this book particularly interesting with how families raised their children prior to the war, and their deep deep patriotism displays

I have been keeping track of the books I have read since 1980, and from 2002 have been entering them into an online database at www.readersopinions.com

We do not leave Texas till April.  I was able to get a copy of ‘The Book Thief’ from the Brownsville library.  

Looks like a  good read.

Deb
And Eternity in an hour.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #891 on: March 02, 2010, 01:13:35 PM »
Well, that's interesting link.  Since 1980?? Oh, you have put all your books that you have read on that link.  I wish I had known about it long ago.  So many books that I have forgotten. I do have a list of books that my f2f group has read for the last 2 or 3 yrs. but that's my only list.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #892 on: March 02, 2010, 02:44:15 PM »
BOOKAD: WELCOME, WELCOME!

Those two books you mentioned sound fascinating. Could you give us their names?

bookad

« Reply #893 on: March 03, 2010, 06:38:15 AM »

for some reason can't seem to find the book about the Englishwoman who spent the war years in Germany married to a German--at home in Ontario I have a hard copy with my notes and possibly can access the title there

'My Father's Country' by Wibke Bruhns--a German family aristocracy & involvement in the failed plot to overthrow Hitler

'The Bielski Brothers' by Peter Duffy--another interesting read of a group of people who were able to remain hidden in a German forest during the war years(an ever expanding group) and the brothers who were responsible for their safety

unfortunately for me the Brownsville library does not seem to have a copy of the April read, Barrie library in Ontario seems to have a copy but we don't arrive home till May
{computers & the internet are so wonderful!}--if the book is not too current a publishing-- hope to be able to get a reasonably priced copy on Amazon or someplace

must have surfed into the fiction seniorslearn booksite with my last post listing 'The Book Thief'--hopefully will get the hang of posting appropriately ...so exciting to find people with mutual interests in reading

Deb
And Eternity in an hour.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #894 on: March 03, 2010, 07:06:47 AM »
The titles and subject matter sound tempting.  Especially "The Bielski Brothers" by Peter Duffy. That one looks like it has a Polish title name, an Irish author and its written about Germans during WWII. Hahaha!  I will look at my library in downtown Gahanna!  Thanks, Deb.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #895 on: March 03, 2010, 08:47:50 AM »
OH, YOU WILL GET THE HANG OF IT, DEB!

Click on DISCUSSION INDEX in blue at the top of the page and you will see our full menu.  

Then cllick on what you want - read, post, enjoy, we are so happy to have you!

And I do hope you can find a copy of TROUBLESOME YOUNG MEN by Lynne Olson.  Let me do some scouring around online to see what I can find.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #896 on: March 03, 2010, 08:54:17 AM »
DEB, go to Amazon.com, you will find plenty of copies for sale there and in paperback!  I was surprised and there are a few copies starting at $3.08 I think it said, although I might suggest you go for the $10 copy!!

marjifay

« Reply #897 on: March 03, 2010, 10:20:27 AM »
Yes, I got a lovely hardback used, but like new, copy of TROUBLESOME YOUNG MEN at Amazon from Hamilton Books in CT. for $1.95.   I see they still have one (or more) at the same price.  Must have bought up a bunch.  Mine arrived in very good time -- about 4 days.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

mrssherlock

« Reply #898 on: March 03, 2010, 11:32:45 AM »
Deb:  Thanks for The Bielski Brothers.  Sounds like a good read.  When you open the SL site look for the "Show new replies to your posts" then look for the little blue "New" flag - that'll take you to the exact location where you were last.  When you find a discussion you want to return to simply post "Mark" in the reply window.  That ensures you can return when you look for new replies to your last post.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

bookad

thanks for the info
« Reply #899 on: March 04, 2010, 09:58:52 PM »
thank you for the info

finally found the button for alerting me to the unread posts
I have been using my fav & rebookmarking each time & each group with a page ref noted
will try the system with seniorlearn

I am now off to 'amazon' to get a copy of the book ...we will be in transit the month of April arriving home the first of May, but I anticipate having use of internet off & on thru our trip

take care
Deb
And Eternity in an hour.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #900 on: March 05, 2010, 05:46:21 AM »
Deb,
The reserve of "The Belski Brothers" has arrived at my library.  That was fast!  Glad you are learning your way around on this site.  It just takes getting used to it.

bookad

Belinski Brothers
« Reply #901 on: March 08, 2010, 06:11:56 AM »
glad were able to get the book
real life within historic times & events can be just as interesting or more interesting than fiction I find
It is so interesting to come across situations describing people living during a well known time & their lives parallel to the event

thou I recently read a book (fiction) about an island off the coast of France that belongs to England &  it had Germans holding it for the duration of the second world war
'The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer'
the book is fiction, written in letter format, & a wonderful read
Deb

And Eternity in an hour.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #902 on: March 08, 2010, 08:15:22 AM »
Good Morning Deb.
Yes the Geurnsey book was read and discussed on this board.  Everyone who read it seemed to really enjoy it.  I did not ever read it though. That Island is a place that I always wanted to visit.
Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

HaroldArnold

« Reply #903 on: March 08, 2010, 11:44:53 AM »
We now appear to have about 10 readers plus Ella and I signed up for participation in our  discussion of Lynne Olson’s” Troublesome Young Men” beginning April 1st.  This is a decent number but there is certainly room for more.  Any additional readers are  welcome.  Just go http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=1187.0 for details

The book should be available at most large and many middle sized library.  Also there is still time to order it paperback or hard cover from your favorite book store.  The Amazon and Barnes and Noble purchase links are given below.

Barnes & Noble:  http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Troublesome-Young-Men/Lynne-Olson/e/9780374531331/?itm=1

Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Troublesome-Young-Men-Brought-Churchill/dp/0374531331/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268064135&sr=1-1

joyous

« Reply #904 on: March 08, 2010, 12:04:10 PM »

The Bielski Brothers is being transferred from one local library branch to mine at the present
time.
JOY

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #905 on: March 09, 2010, 06:03:22 AM »
Harold,
Looks like you have a very good number for discussing the April offering.  I have my book ready but haven't read it yet.  Got it at the library.[/color]

mabel1015j

« Reply #906 on: March 10, 2010, 03:21:46 PM »
On which site was there the talk about the Guinevere book? I tho't it was here, but no, and it wasn't on The Library. Anyway, it's non-fiction, so i'll comment here.

I just started the first chapter last night. Two people  had mentioned that it was hard going, but they loved the 2nd chapter. I actually enjoyed the first chapter - but, it is another book w/out footnotes, which frustrates me, as i said in the Am'n Prophet discussion. At one point she makes a statement something to the effect that Arthur has more literary references, or issuings than any one else. It's not clear as to what time period she is speaking for, but i tho't "REally? More than Lincoln or Napoleon?"

I remember sometime ago reading/seeing something that was deciding if Arthur was a real person, or how many persons might have been culled together to make the fictional Arthur. She appears to be sure that there was an Arthur, Guinevere and Lancelot as they stand. She mentions gravesites, etc. Huuuummmm. Looking forward to reading some more of the book............................jean

Babi

« Reply #907 on: March 11, 2010, 08:05:12 AM »
 One does tend to lift an eyebrow at broad claims, ELLA.  Still, there is no doubt in my mind that
there have been many more movies about Arthur, et al, than about Lincoln or Napoleon.
Arthur, after all, is much more romantic and was personally involved in any 'daring-do'.

mabel1015j

« Reply #908 on: March 11, 2010, 01:18:16 PM »
Maybe movies, because of Camelot,  but not literature or non-fiction was my thinking......jean

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #909 on: March 11, 2010, 10:02:30 PM »
Mabel, the Guinevere discussion is going on in Fiction.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #910 on: March 12, 2010, 12:23:17 AM »
Just ordered THE BITTER ROAD TO FREEDOM by William I. Hitchcock to read on my Kindle.  It sounds fascinating.
Joag Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

serenesheila

« Reply #911 on: March 12, 2010, 02:47:11 AM »
Hi, Joan G.  Congratulations, on your granddaughter's admission to med school!  That is a wonderful accomplishment.

What is the theme of the book you just mentioned?

Sheila

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #912 on: March 12, 2010, 08:08:26 AM »
I was quite taken with the Arthur myths and have a few books of fiction and claimed non fiction about that time in England.

donnamo

« Reply #913 on: March 15, 2010, 11:42:37 PM »
I think I will be visiting the non-fiction room quite often, as that is mainly what I read.  I only began reading novels a few years ago; I guess I was a bit prejudiced thinking that fiction could never be as valuable as something that was true.  Yeah, well don't I feel silly now, haha. 

Biographies, memoirs, travel essays, and Christian theology are some of my favorites to read.  Some that I have read and really enjoyed in the recent past are:

The Invisible Wall
Jesus Land
Martha's Place
Kabul 24
Here If You Need Me
What Else But Home
The Soloist
The Book That Changed My Life
Heart in the Right Place
Into The Wild
Into Thin Air
'Tis

Just to name a few!  I'm really looking forward to reading the sequel to The Invisible Wall - The Dream - and also Troublesome Young Men.  My college library actually has it, so I put a request in for it. 

Is anyone else here a slow reader?  I have many friends that go through books so fast and it just amazes me.  I read the same pace silently as I do out loud.  I've tried reading faster, but when I do I am not able to paint the mental pictures in my head as I always do when I read.  I'm convinced that is the reason I can remember books in such vivid detail long after I have read them.  I may not remember the character's names, but I sure can recall most everything else.  It's not beyond me to sit at the bookstore or in a coffee shop and watch someone read, then ask them how they read.  I've gotten some very interesting answers! 

Frybabe

« Reply #914 on: March 16, 2010, 01:10:28 AM »
Donnamo, you are not alone. Why back in high school I took a remedial reading class. In reading comprehension I was ahead of my class by several years, however, I was reading at about half the national average. I doubt that that has changed much. I am especially slow with my Latin studies.

Babi

« Reply #915 on: March 16, 2010, 08:30:23 AM »
 Glad to meet you, DONNAMO.  On thinking about it, I believe you are right about reading and
remembering.  When I read, I am very much 'in the moment'.  Which means much of it does
not stick with me for very long.  :-\

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #916 on: March 16, 2010, 09:48:23 AM »
Donnamo,
Another slow reader has joined us.  I don't just read, I chew up and digest every word and therefore, I am a slow reader.  I remember lots of interesting books that I have read over the years just because I read slow.  Like you, I don't read any faster than if I was reading out loud.
Your list of non-fiction looks quite interesting.  I think we read and discussed "Into Thin Air" or another of your titles and I know that I have also read "'Tis"and maybe "Into the Wild". 
I wish you had been here last month when we read "America's Prophet" by Bruce Feiler. We have discussed three of his books and truly enjoyed each one.  "Abraham" and "Walking the Bible" were others.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #917 on: March 16, 2010, 03:18:28 PM »
I'm reading "Troublesome Young Men".  An interesting book.  Just finished "imperial Life in the Emerald City (Inside Iraq's Green Zone)".  Very interesting but also kind of disheartening.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #918 on: March 16, 2010, 05:10:05 PM »
Why disheartening, FLAJEAN?

I've heard of that book, shall I read it?

And keep TROUBLESOME YOUNG MEN ON HAND, we will be discussing it starting April lst and need your input.  We'll take just a few chapters a week.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #919 on: March 17, 2010, 11:42:04 AM »
Disheartening because of all the unnecessary (some just plain stupid) mistakes that were made during the first few years of the war.