Author Topic: Classics Book Club, The  (Read 489911 times)

ginny

• Administrator
Re: The Classics Book Club
« Reply #1640 on: June 10, 2011, 10:25:34 PM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome to join in.

Now reading:

June 13-----Book  XVIII:  "He's very close."    

Schedule:
June 13: Book 18
June 18: Book 19
June 23: Book 20
June 28: Book 21
July 2:  Book 22
July 7: Book 23
July 12: Book 24

Odysseus destroys Iros
17th century etching
Theodor van Thulden (1606 - 1669)
Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco

Penelope brooding over her loom
Colour etching and aquatint
Max Klinger

Discussion Leaders:  Joan K & ginny  

Useful Links:

1. Critical Analysis: Free SparkNotes background and analysis  on the Odyssey
2. Translations Used in This Discussion So Far:
3. Initial Points to Watch For: submitted by JudeS
4. Maps:
Map of the  Voyages of Odysseus
Map of Voyages in order
Map of Stops Numbered
Our Map Showing Place Names in the Odyssey

Penelope is surrounded by the suitors - one of the men may be Telemachus. Odysseus, disguised as a beggar, enters through the door. In the background are other scenes from the Odyssey - the Song of the Sirens, and Circe's transformation of Odysseus' companions.
Pintoricchio
National Gallery, London

Iros is terrified by Odysseus' physique
Engraving and etching on paper
John Flaxman

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #1641 on: June 10, 2011, 10:27:28 PM »
Jude, that sounds like fun. But you a dollar SOMETHING comes up that applies to the Odyssey, want to bet? hhahaha

We'll miss you!

I will miss all of your clever remarks and yes Ginny, even the questions that we recalcitrant pupils keep refusing to answer.

Gosh, I hope there are no teachers or pupils here, I don't know what a recalcitrant pupil IS, I don't have any, myself.  :)  I think we're doing a spectacular job with the questions, we tore thru those on 16 in about a half a day. hahaha This is a pretty astute group!

I can't answer all of the  questions either but  that's what they get if they don't give answers, I feel it's fair game and  at least we can see what people are asking. I really hate to be in a conversation on something where I come out later on and the issues never even got raised.

On the pigs and dogs and belly I'd say that personally we're talking the basest of needs, human or animal and as far as estate the lowest of the low, in the swineherd and the pigs. He's fallen as low as he can go as a man, isn't that one of the items in the Epic hero's route? I mean he IS the King, right?

And so he enters his own home, his own former palace as a beggar, which...is a beggar below a slave? He's living with a swineherd, surrounded by a lot of people abusing hospitality (I picture them as a kind of ancient Angry  Birds game to which I am now totally addicted, I can extrapolate their grunting over their food like the pigs in the game)...hahasaa I actually  hear those pigs in my sleep.

Pretty much people are acting AS animals. Shows you what happens when law and order or in the case of O, the leader, leaves town: anarchy. Lots of modern books on THAT theme.

That's a good point Babi on Eumaeus' speech about  Zeus taking away half a person's  manhood, when captured or taken into slavery.   I hadn't actually thought about that concept: what constitutes a man.

I like that question, Joan K, I think the question of responsibility in the Odyssey is all over the place, do you all?  There's always SOMEBODY or SOMETHING being blamed. Mostly the gods. But I have a feeling it's going to shift to the suitors, there have been little hints.

I really loved that question on was Minerva (or Athene), the goddess of wisdom, wise? Reminds me of my childhood in old New Jersey where the tough girls went around asking "are you wise, or otherwise?" hahaha

IS she "wise?" She knows what's going to happen and she will make it happen but to me she's totally annoying. She's there, she disappears, she's in disguise, she's self congratulatory, she's a pain in the neck. Playing with the mortals. She must be very bored.

Dana, that sounds like a very good suggestion!

Deb and PatH, and Frybabe, thank you. I am glad you can see the script, I think it's quite pretty.

So what were you thinking when YOU read this chapter? What of Penelope? She's suddenly rounding on  the suitors, is she taking a big chance? Did that take courage? or?

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #1642 on: June 11, 2011, 04:43:15 AM »
Don't believe it took courage for Penelope to speak out -- who among the suitors would dare to harm her??
Ordered Orestia.

Babi

« Reply #1643 on: June 11, 2011, 08:44:22 AM »
I see van Thulden tactfully omits the pile of manure. I do appreciate that; it would
be so out of place on that lovely etching.

You know, based on what how Athena is traditionally described, Homer may be doing her
an injustice.  She was goddess of wisdom, justice,  war, the arts, industry, justice and skill.
(Her role in 'war' was that of strategy only.)
  The Greeks..and Romans...did have a way of ascribing to their gods and goddesses
their own character, flaws and foibles.  Perhaps Homer's use of Athena was simply more of
that tendency.  Call it poetic license.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #1644 on: June 11, 2011, 10:11:24 AM »
Do all the translations have "manure?" It's commonly thought a dog will not soil its own bedding or place  if it  can help it but sometimes they can't,  especially if aged. Our dogs were in their teens, most of them, when they died and anybody who's had a dog that long knows things can happen, particularly with  farm dogs. So for Argus (love that name, it says volumes) to be lying in a pile of it shows how low HE has gone also. Everything has gone to pot when the master is gone.

I have to say this, too. It's commonly thought that pigs are gluttons and also wallow in mud etc., but the pig, I believe, is one of the smartest animals alive, is that the case? I really don't want to get into the pigs knowing what's going to happen stories I've heard but we've got a dog who recognizes O and lots of slaughter of "lower" animals, pigs by the noble and loyal swineherd,  to feed what essentially more and more appears to be animalistic humans. This SO reminds me of the various Apocalypse novels, Blindness, Mad Max, the Stephen King novels where our society and the rules we hold fall apart with some catastrophic happening and what happens when anarchy rules.

Even 3000 years ago, I would think the audience, which is listening to this  portrayal of the  collapse of their society being shown in verse would be rooting on O and T and the swineherd, to restore order as they knew it.

There's a new book out now, Robopocalypse, by Daniel Wilson, already optioned by  Stephen Spielberg,  and another one where a mother notices a doll is entirely too advanced for its programming,  but the themes are the same: the end of civilization as we know it and what the good, the bad, and the ugly do then.

In this one we've got Athene on O's side. She doesn't seem to be taking the suitor's side, that's a good point on how Homer treats her and why, Babi!!!

Remember on the Orestia we'll need to vote first, but it's good to see things before I think.

Sally,  good point, who would dare hurt  Penelope? Of course T doesn't waste time telling her what to do.  I remember T telling her to go back to her room the first time,  and here in the first bit of 17 he's giving her more instructions. Go bathe and put on clean clothes (somewhere around line 50)...so we can vow formal sacrifice to the immortal gods that Zeus will grant us vengeance."

The foreshadowing here is relentless and heavy handed. As the mother of sons, myself, I am not sure I'd appreciate all these instructions, go here, go there, do this, do that, do you think she's glad to see some kind of manly leadership in him? It's a nice vignette there on the growing up of sons, actually.

The tone seems to have picked up a bit, we've got one prophesy that O is IN Ithaca and making his way there, we've got prayers for vengeance with a capital V, and we've got Men Acting Badly all over the place.

What did you make of Melanthius the...is he a goatherd? He meets O and party who are sort of nervous anyway on the way in and boy is HE hateful? Is there a Hateful Gas about or is all this in aid of stirring up the tension?

"Well, look at this, trash dragging along trash.
Birds of a feather, as usual.  Where
Are you taking this walking pile of s-----,
You miserable hog-tender, this diseased beggar
Who will slobber all over our feasts?"---Lombardo 217---_

Man you can't get less hospitable than that! What's this in here for?

And he KICKS him! I'm trying to keep track of the slings and arrows that O will suffer physically here in his own kingdom from the usurpers.

It's funny that everybody is calling on different gods, tho. Melanthius wants  Apollo to kill T.

I think all these incidents and people are here so that when revenge comes, as P once again iterates somewhere around
585:

"If Odysseus should ever come home,
He and his son would make them pay for this outrage."

And...

"That means death will surely come to the suitors,
One and all. Not a single man will escape."

So we have to date two blows from the lowest so far, a goat herd and Antinous,  "like black death itself" (542) and we've got endless prophesy of (1) the return of O, and (2) vengeance and not a man left alive.

Man talk about "rising action."

How would all this play out in 2011? We're about forgiveness in 2011, right? It's not like they've killed anybody? Are they going to even have a chance to say sorry, yes, do forgive us, we'll go home? If Athene says none will escape, forget the testing of the "decent" men, then if the gods support vengeance we're dealing with a totally different concept of society and gods than we know about now. IS this, as Joan K, says, men ascribing TO the gods their own foibles? Eye for an eye?

But the suitors are only eating and swilling about. Dante would know what to do with them. hahaaha But what does Homer do? They've not killed anybody yet.

This is good stuff, it's like You Are There into Greek history and culture and we've missed our Friday deadline to move on. What's your pleasure with starting or discussing 18?

Dana

• ::
« Reply #1645 on: June 11, 2011, 11:32:42 AM »
OK GInny, your comment about manure tempted me into looking up the original and doing a bit of translation--and its so graphic:

.....lying despised, his lord being gone, on a great dung pile of mules and oxen poared in heaps outside of the doors...........

I think he was lying there because he had been thrown there to die and couldn't move.........

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1646 on: June 11, 2011, 08:11:30 PM »
Dana, that makes perfect sense of something I'd wondered about. Why would a dog lie on a pile of dung he didn't even make?  But Argus had just been thrown out with the trash, and couldn't move.

Lombardo's translation is similar to yours:

"Now, his master gone, he lay neglected
In the dung of mules and cattle outside the doors,"

What a lovely approach to a great house--a big aromatic pile of .....

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1647 on: June 11, 2011, 09:12:59 PM »
GINNY: " we've missed our Friday deadline to move on. What's your pleasure with starting or discussing 18?"

I thought we are moving every 5 days. Since we started Chapter 17 on the 8th, we should move on to Chapter 18 on the 13th, Monday.

Babi

« Reply #1648 on: June 12, 2011, 08:47:05 AM »
 Pigs do have a reputation for intelligence.  And I once read that all the wallowing
in mud is simply to cool off. Those hides are pretty thick. A woman who kept a shed
with tile flooring for her pigs, and hosed it down frequently for dampness, had none
of the wallowing in mud going on.

It appears to me Melanthius had decided it would be prudent to side with the suitors.
It does seem they must come out on top here and he wants to be considered a friend of
the winners. He takes his cue on behavior from them.

Forgiveness for all?? At a personal level, perhaps, and depending on one's own beliefs
and character.  Forgiveness for crimes?  No way.  While I deplore the idea of vengeance, justice is another thing entirely.   We should reap what we sow.  (I do leave room for amends.  One
can realize the wrong, and go back and pull up those weeds as far as possible.  :( It's called atonement. )
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1649 on: June 12, 2011, 07:03:58 PM »
On we go tomorrow. And PatH is arriving tomorrow to visit me for a week, so we may both be posting from my JoanK account.

roshanarose

« Reply #1650 on: June 12, 2011, 09:45:14 PM »
Babi said: "You know, based on what how Athena is traditionally described, Homer may be doing her
an injustice.  She was goddess of wisdom, justice,  war, the arts, industry, justice and skill.
  The Greeks..and Romans...did have a way of ascribing to their gods and goddesses
their own character, flaws and foibles.  Perhaps Homer's use of Athena was simply more of
that tendency.  Call it poetic license."

Probably one of the most intelligent and perceptive takes I have read about Athena.  Personally, I love her and to prove it I have worn golden coin ring (tetradrachm) with her face on it since I first visited Greece in 1982.  To my mind Athena and Athens are inseparable in their allure.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #1651 on: June 13, 2011, 03:13:19 AM »
It seems odd that O hadn't left guards to protect Penelope and T when he left for Troy.  Suppose all these suitors would have been armed.  Or was O counting on some of these suitors to protect her?  I had imagined that the suitors were living in the palace, but they go home at night.  Guess she couldn't lock the palace doors.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #1652 on: June 13, 2011, 07:23:31 AM »
Babi  and RoshanaRose, haha well we can take sides about Athene, she sure was big to the Greeks and Romans, I guess it's Ok to say in 2011 she annoys me to death, with her games, playing about. If she's that powerful, just do it.  :) Quit the games and playing about and just do it. To me, she's just amusing herself.

OR being attributed by men (which is something completely different) as being at the core of it, as Babi said.

"You know, based on what how Athena is traditionally described, Homer may be doing her
an injustice.  She was goddess of wisdom, justice,  war, the arts, industry, justice and skill.

Especially interesting when you consider the fact that Homer and Hesiod are credited with sort of inventing her.

Sally, what a brilliant thing to say, that never occurred to me and I wonder why: It seems odd that O hadn't left guards to protect Penelope and T when he left for Troy.  Suppose all these suitors would have been armed.  Or was O counting on some of these suitors to protect her?  I had imagined that the suitors were living in the palace, but they go home at night.  Guess she couldn't lock the palace doors.

Now that is really a statement! He, the wily always thinking crafty Odysseus, backed up by the all seeing  Athene, would have left guards had he figured they would have been needed. A journey to Troy would hardly be like flying to NYC, there would be no guarantee of return flight.

But maybe since they were all operating on a pact to support each other, after all it's Menelaus's wife Helen they are going after, he never dreamed this situation would arise. Maybe there's  a message here we should heed. One would think Athene would have foreseen it, but then again, she couldn't play if it did.

And now why couldn't she lock the palace doors? O is about to. Perhaps they would all siege the palace physically? What a great Reality Check you've thrown us.

Dana, and Pat H, yes that makes sense too on the dog.

Babi I was shocked in looking up the smartest animals to see which IS the smartest, and the pig was listed as #6, and I think it was the only domesticated animal of the bunch. Very interesting list. One would never have included the rat. Hopefully nobody here keeps rats as domestic animals (or any other way): http://animal.discovery.com/tv/a-list/creature-countdowns/smartest/smartest.html

I also liked your take on reaping what we sow, so in that we've not changed too much from 3000 years ago. Yet the press is full of incidents of forgiveness for the most heinous crimes. (I can't look at that word without hearing it pronounced as "hi EEEN ous" in My Cousin Vinny. hahahaa Revenge seems to be sanctioned here, too, by the gods, I mean LOOK at Poseidon, for heaven's sake.  This is getting quite interesting!

JoanK and PatH, the Dynamic Duo of Twins discussing and posting together! Wish I could be a fly on the wall, let's march on! I've downloaded the Fitzgerald for my trip and I must say I like it, very much, very readable and free too on the iphone.

All right, we have our schedule, on the 13th (tell me this is not Monday the 13th, a more devastating day than any Friday the 13th), we'll do 18 and on the 18th which is Saturday, we'll do Book 19.

Can everybody catch up? Just read 18 for today and jump in and make up the rest later. I love these short contained little "books," they are almost as if intended as units.

Go right ahead this morning into 18!!

I'll read the 18th, see if there are any illustrations to fit it,  and be right back. I hope it's dark and O and P finally meet. If they don't,  is Homer really stringing us along  suspensefully? I bet at this point in the recitation  nobody left the camp fire!

BRB

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #1653 on: June 13, 2011, 07:59:42 AM »
Oh man I love 18! It's a drum-roll unceasing for what's about to happen. Character after character comes forward and reiterates over and over what's going to happen shortly. O is coming or here and there will be revenge.

Good heavens what strange allusions tho!

LOTS and lots about the belly. In fact Irus and O fight BECAUSE of the "belly," FOR a prize. Ol Antinous really set the stakes high and poor Irus has a lot to lose: Echetus the Maimer! Golly moses. If you needed no more hint that this, that we're 3,000 years ago here and a totally different culture, this is it.

Athene here makes not only O but P look much better.

But now what do you make of the following:

1. Amphinomus, who seems kind and is addressed kindly by O,

...goes away through the hall with his head bowed
And his heard heavy with a sense of foreboding.
He would not escape death, though. Pallas Athena
Had him pinned, and he would be killed outright...

Sigh sigh. So why is this speech in here? I see all of these speeches as being for a purpose.

2. Lots and lots of philosophy here and it's not all strange to us:

Our outlook changes with the kind of day
Zeus our Father decides to give us.  (somewhere around 145).

We have the philosophy man tries to apply amidst the  constant drum-roll of the gods in the lives of men, echoed by almost every character and ending the Book.

We have inevitability where despite the will of man the gods will get their way: (Amphinomus)

We have being two faced:

Overbearing men who speak politely to his face
And plan all the while to hurt him later

We have Penelope appearing before the suitors (is this the first time, it sure looks like it?) wanting her maids with her as suitable and covering her face?

Did you catch that? What does that mean for the culture of the Greeks and what does that say about her to date?

Do you think she really was asking for gifts?

Then we have T making a quote very much like one Homer could never have heard:

T says:

"I used to think as a child, but not any more (somewhere around 348), which echoes

I Cor. xiii. 11. ...

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. ...

I don't think there's such a thing as coincidence, and I wonder about the provenance of both these thoughts.

What did you think of O's parting words to P? Has she done what he asked? Why or why not?

Oh man and check out Melantho! No doubt whose side she's on, (or at, literally).

And another footstool is thrown, but O cleverly places himself away from it, tho it appears it was thrown anyway, what did you make of that? He must have moved fast, so why throw it at all?

What do you think of T in this section?

In short, what do you think? I love 18, am not sure why!

A drachma (answer on a trivia contest yesterday) for your thoughts!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #1654 on: June 13, 2011, 08:34:07 AM »
I've put up a schedule for the rest of the book, and am somewhat shocked to see that we're almost at the end. Somehow I thought we could read this on and on, one tiny chapter at a time, forever. I'm going to actually miss this experience, there aren't many books you can do this with.

Good idea, Joan K, to get us on schedule tho. Looks like I will only miss (and I'll be here electronically) the last chapter. The joy of the internet.

I also hope I can be forgiven for adding back Penelope, now that she's reappeared. We know she is no longer at her loom but I (1) wanted some color (2) like the Klinger where she's contemplating what she tried to do and failed (3) love art of the that time period  and liked what the artist threw in there as a summary. Check out the thigh muscles on the Thulden, right in accord with the book (or my book anyway). :)

Babi

« Reply #1655 on: June 13, 2011, 09:46:23 AM »
 Thank you for the kind words, ROSHANA.

Ah, yes, Thulden was quite good with muscles,..esp. buttocks...and apparently chose to feature
them in most of his works we've seen here.  He is unquestionably very good at it.

I have the impression, tho' I couldn't say from where, that Grecian women of that time tended
to stay mostly in their part of the house.  It was considered immodest to join the men.  We have
seen, of course, that feasts were excepted, and the Lady of the house joined her husband to
act as hostess.  I don't think any of them would have appeared socially if the husband was not
present.  And if a lady wished to speak to the assembled men, she would have dressed modestly
and had other women with her.  I don't know if Penelope's veil was from modesty, or because she did not want to stir up lusts, or simply a sign of grieving over her missing husband.
   All the above, of course, is sort of like Wikipedia....unproven.  :-\

Dana

« Reply #1656 on: June 13, 2011, 11:33:47 AM »
Its interesting to see how these etchings, paintings, follow the fashions of their time--as we always do, I guess.  I can imagine a movie of the Odyssey made today with Helen and Penelope and Athena with puffed up lips and tangled hair........

But the drawings of Iros are just plain wrong, he was FAT and slobby....a fat beggar, nice joke there....

Also I think the drawings of Odysseus' house are plain wrong too.  I imagine a much scruffier place--a wall around a courtyard and then the entrance to the megaron from the courtyard, and the rest of the house beyond.  The dungheap outside the wall, flies everywhere and smoke from the cooking fires, which seem to have been in the hall, or courtyard maybe.  Strong smells of dung and cooking meat....animals in the courtyard waiting to be slaughtered and dismembered....and being slaughtered and dismembered.... and the attendant smells....

This chapter seems to be ramping up the violence, maybe to prepare us for the coming deaths

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #1657 on: June 13, 2011, 12:35:36 PM »
I agree the art reflects the time period, I love seeing how the different centuries reflect it.

I also agree Thulden in the 1600's made some mistakes, the beggar was definitely fat!

It's funny the reactions we get to art, Thulden is much enjoyed  in some of the Latin classes, he's something else. I would personally kill to have those etchings, lucky whoever lives in  San Fransisco and can see them.

But on the house? I am not sure I agree:

Eumaeus, this beautiful house must be Odysseus'.
It would stand out anywhere. Look at all the rooms
And stories, and the court built with wall and coping,
And the well-fenced double gates. No one could scorn it.
And I can tell there are many men feasting inside
From the savor or meat wafting out from it,
And the sound of the lyre, which rounds out a feast.

17/290ff

I keep thinking of Knossos and how impressive it was even in ruin, and I guess I had extrapolated that over the service quarters of Hampton Court, I doubt there would be a dung heap outside the main door. However, my book doesn't say where they actually entered. I figured  they entered by the service area,  I mean the Romans had them, which would naturally be dung and whatever filled, they see the dog (while passing that area) and "Eumaeus entered the great house." (350) and the hall filled with insolent suitors.

Maybe I have confused Knossos, Pearl Buck and Odysseus's house. hahahaa I assumed they entered by the service areas and made their way TO the great hall. I'm still thinking this is quite the palace, what do the rest of your translations say? I imagine Homer would expect his audience to know about how a beggar went in, but I'm not sure we (or should I say I)  do in 2011.

Murray refers to it as a "stately palace," (17  275),  and says the outside  had "deep dung of mules and cattle, which lay in heaps before the doors, till the slaves of Odysseus would take it away to manure his wide lands."

17, 296). That's standard practice outside farms in the livestock areas,  even today, except they put it not by the door but  in a pit or a manure spreader. I am thinking this is the stock area or the service area, but wait...well if the dung is outside, does that mean the mules and cows are inside the stately halls?

How DO you all see or picture O's house? Great point, Dana!

Babi,  great  thoughts on women in Greece and modesty. I had just read something somewhere about their lives, it sounded quite "Not Without My Daughter" ish, very restricted, but I'll have to read it again and get back to you all.

Dana

« Reply #1658 on: June 13, 2011, 03:41:15 PM »
I never thought there might be a back entrance but my translation gives no indication of it.  There was one piece that surprised me when I read it--its in XVII where the suitors have been competing at the discus throw, and then the "beasts are being driven from the fields to slaugher" and the suitors go back to the "gracious, timbered hall."  (210-230 in Fitzgerald)

..........................................................There, first,
they dropped their cloaks on chairs; then came their ritual:
putting great rams and fat goats to the knife--
pigs, and a cow too.

................................................So they made their feast.

It sounds like the animals were in the hall, (or maybe courtyard?)

It made me modify my impression of the house!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1659 on: June 13, 2011, 09:32:40 PM »
DANA: I got that impression, too. Maybe it was BOTH grand AND had dung outside and animals in the co7urtyard. After all, standards were different then. They didn't (did they?) have nice flush toilets and sewer systems to carry smells away: smells must have been part of life, so what's a little dung?

roshanarose

« Reply #1660 on: June 13, 2011, 09:49:20 PM »
JoanK - I know that Knossos on Crete had a very sophisticated sewerage system.  The terracotta pipes used are identical to those used in relatively modern times.  See Knossos before you die!
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

sandyrose

« Reply #1661 on: June 13, 2011, 09:59:51 PM »
I hope I am not repeating something already mentioned here, but I thought I read all the posts and did not see it so here goes.  In my Rieu translation I noticed Homer saying quite a few times...And you, Eumaeus, the swineherd, said in reply, .......  I looked back through Book 14 and found a footnote I overlooked--

Footnote I. Homer really loved Eumaeus, this character he had created, and here, instead of writing about him, he felt impelled to speak to him directly as if reminding him of the story.

This continued in Books 16 and 17.  Sometimes it is And you, Eumaeus, and sometimes Then you, Eumaeus.  Lombardo uses it also, but not as often.

roshanarose--Interesting about the man buying the purple fabric.

As for the dog, I think Argus knew O recognized him....from Rieu...There, full of vermin, lay Argus, the hound.  But directly he became aware of Odysseus' presence, he wagged his tail and dropped his ears, though he lacked the strength now to come nearer to his master.  Odysseus turned his eyes away, and, making sure Eumaeus did not notice, brushed away a tear,....

I think Argus saw the tear and was content to let the black hand of death descend on him knowing O will be okay.

Sorry to digress, now I will read 18.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #1662 on: June 14, 2011, 08:23:56 AM »
Sandy, we did mention that "you" originally but we lacked this footnote: Footnote I. Homer really loved Eumaeus, this character he had created, and here, instead of writing about him, he felt impelled to speak to him directly as if reminding him of the story.

This continued in Books 16 and 17.  Sometimes it is And you, Eumaeus, and sometimes Then you, Eumaeus.  Lombardo uses it also, but not as often.
and I completely did not see it at ALL in 17, so I appreciate learning it's being repeated!

I sort of think the dog died happy too, the shock of seeing or smelling I guess O was too much for his old heart and he died, tho he did signal his recognition. Looks like the dog is smarter than the others as he knows who he's dealing with.

Dana, RR, JoanK,  great points, all. I was startled to see that in August of last year they thought they discovere4d O's palace, all three stories of it, but the Telegraph says perhaps it's best left to memory. I suppose we could write Dr. Hexter or Dr. Lombardo, do we want to do that?

Here are the two articles:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/7964507/Odysseuss-palace-is-best-left-to-imagination.html

As you can see the above is titled Odysseus's Palace is Best Left to the Imagination

and the discovery, one of many:

http://en.rian.ru/culture/20100824/160323715.html

What struck YOU in 18?

Babi

« Reply #1663 on: June 14, 2011, 09:13:00 AM »
 Good point, GINNY. A beggar 'guest' would reasonably be brought into
the kitchen, and that entry court would be the natural place to find
the dung heaps and the dogs.
  I believe the slaughters took place in the courtyards.   (No way are
we going to allow it in the great  hall!)  With all those animals being brought in each day, of course there are going to be dung heaps..no doubt quickly removed to the back of the house each day by the servants, for later use in the fields.  And JOANK is right, of course. The
odors they must have been accustomed to in those days .... Eew~

Dana

« Reply #1664 on: June 14, 2011, 09:42:43 AM »
somewhere in Hechter or the intro to Fitzgerald there's a paragraph about the house and how many have tried to depict it based on Homer's vague descriptions, and basically how they can't.  I thought there was a drawing, however I can't find it.  Maybe I saw it in another book.......

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #1665 on: June 14, 2011, 10:55:32 AM »
Interestingly enough, Lombardo has it, and it's before the Introduction. It even has the dung heap, across the road in front of the Gate to the Portico of the Courtyard. It says it's "after J. Lazenby."

Rather than risk copyright infringement by reproducing it, here it is, as you can see it's a long rectangular structure:

The Palace of Odysseus

The dung heap with a question mark as stated,  is at the bottom, across the road then the Gate to the Portico of the Courtyard.  This is sort of like a peristyle effect  around a large courtyard with a round house in it, the Altar of Zeus, the "Outer Porch" the wine store to the left and then a  Wooden  Threshold in the back, followed by an Inner Porch and rooms for arms on the left and Penelope's rooms on the upper floor,. Then there's a Stone Threshold with the Great hall, a Hearth, pillars and a "Back Door." There are lots of side rooms which are labeled on the right  Quarters for Women? And two "alleys" between them.

Frybabe

« Reply #1666 on: June 14, 2011, 11:21:49 AM »
Read the articles with interest. I was especially interested in some of the comments below the Telegraph article. Thanks.

Thanks, too, for the palace layout, Ginny. When I get a few minutes I may just print it out. George just got here. Gotta go.

Dana

« Reply #1667 on: June 14, 2011, 08:24:06 PM »
Ginny, that is a super layout of the house--don't know if that's the one I previously saw; as I don'thave a Lombardo, probably not !   I spent about a month in the jungle/savanah in Senegal many years ago and we lived in grass huts in considerable comfort I would say and our bread was baked daily in brick or stone ovens heated by fire, it was delicious-as Senegalwas a frenchterritory the bread was baugettes.  however, going back to ancient greece, there must have been a back kitchen where the bread was cooked, because we know there was always bread.  i expect it was flat bread like naan or chapattis or whatever.  and there must have been a place where they prepared the "savouries" whatever they may have been.  so there has to have been a back kitchen.  i hope they did theirbarbecuing in the open courtyard.(for the sake of the furniture, if not their lungs.) But can you imagine the smells--like one of these medieval castles with mud everywhere and no plumbing.  i don't think they were as up on plumbimg as the Romans-but they did have a bath place, I'm assuming that didn't happen in the great hall....I expect they carried in the water though, and heated it over fires....

Babi

« Reply #1668 on: June 15, 2011, 08:43:02 AM »
 Interesting conception of Odysseus house.  Is it based on findings of old
homes in ancient Greek ruins, I wonder?  Did you notice the altar to Zeus
placed right up front?  That was a nice touch.
  The placement of the women's rooms seems just right.  I was a bit
surprised to see Telemachos' room was outside the main house.  That
seems to have the custom in other cultures as well, tho', to place a young
man where he could have some privacy.
  Back to the story,  I love the biting description of the suitors from Penelope. “How galling, too, to see newfangled manners in my suitors!  Others who go to court a gentlewoman, daughter of a rich house, if they are rivals, bring their own beeves and sheep along;  her friends ought to be feasted, gifts are due to her;  would any dare to live at her expense?”     
  Of course, we are forced to believe that Athena has been prompting all
Penelope's actions and behaviors as this tale approaches it's climax.  I
would have preferred to think Penelope acted on her own.

roshanarose

« Reply #1669 on: June 15, 2011, 10:10:24 PM »
The gods and goddesses remind me of puppeteers.  They have all the mortals who matter on strings, doing their bidding.

The floor plan for Odysseus' palace is interesting.  I have included a link for one of the Palaces of Knossos.  Is is generally thought that the floor plan resembles a labryinth, and that is where the myth of the Minotaur comes from.  It's good that a key to the rooms, areas, altars etc. id included in this floor plan.  Two goddesses mentioned, pre Hesiod and Homer, and at least one exclusive to the Minoan civilization, ie the Snake Goddess, the other Goddess of the Doves, and the Goddess of the Animals may all have been incorporated into the Snake Goddess.  Her altar is relatively small compared to Odysseus' Zeus altar.  Knossos is roughly contemporaneous with Troy and the Odyssey.  Maybe someone can supply the dates in order to compare.

No altars to male deities were found.  After the Mycenaens occupied Knossos the lifestyle of the Minoans changed  radically.  Anyway, here's the link.  Enjoy!

www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/Cities/PlanOfThePalaceOfKnossos

Babi

« Reply #1670 on: June 16, 2011, 08:32:53 AM »
 Drat, we're still having trouble with the internet connections.  I can get
in, obviously, but attempts to use links are usually a failure.  We thought
this problem was fixed. It went haywire again after the ITT people came
and 'fixed' the TV problem.  There is undoubtedly a connection.

Frybabe

« Reply #1671 on: June 16, 2011, 09:48:23 AM »
Sorry Roshannarose, when I try our link it tells me it can't be found.

Dana

« Reply #1672 on: June 16, 2011, 11:45:09 AM »
With regard to my last post about the house layout--just read the next chapter and it would appear Odysseus got his feet/legs washed in the great hall....wot....no bath house... ?!

BTW--I can open Rosanna's link to Knossos--google directs to a differnt address

www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/Cities/PlanOfThePalaceOfKnossos.html

Frybabe

« Reply #1673 on: June 16, 2011, 01:45:32 PM »
Thanks, Dana. I can see that one. What an operation that must have been. I wonder how many were in the household staff. The bath is #17 on the diagram. The throne room and the ante room to the throne room seem rather small. I would have thought they would be much larger. What is the tank for in the throne room? I don't see sleeping cubicles depicted on the diagram, so do the King and Queen only use the palace for formal functions and live at the villa otherwise?  The royal villa is not depicted.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #1674 on: June 16, 2011, 02:16:51 PM »
Sorry for the interruption but you will want to know...

This is Anna's son-in-law, Mick Carrier. By now, many of you may already know of her death the past Tuesday at St.Francis Nursing Center. I just gained access to her address book on her email account and wanted to get a message out to her many friends.

A memorial service is planned for Sunday at Bobby's church (First Baptist). The obituary will be published in the Daily Press (www.dailypress.com Friday. For another tribute, go to www.vgreene.com which you may know as Roberta's website. On behalf of the family, we want to express our appreciation for your friendship over the years. I recognized many of the names in her addressbook as I was preparing this notification and was glad to know she had ongoing contact wit many of you.

Sincerely,

Mick
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #1675 on: June 16, 2011, 05:10:56 PM »
Oh I am so sorry to hear about Anna's passing, Barbara, thank you for putting that here. She will be missed.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #1676 on: June 16, 2011, 05:39:44 PM »
Those are great diagrams of Knossos, thank you. I don't know a lot about Arthur Evans and this site (assuming one can read it, I had quite a time) gives information which was all new to me.
http://www.agiapelagia-crete.com/Culture-Knossos-Crete-agia-pelagia.html

Apparently Knossos was full of bathrooms:

Evans had some problems with bathrooms at Knossos. In the Throne Room, Evans could not accept that the sunken area was a bathroom as it was located only four metres from the throne so he decided it was a place of ritual purification. But here, in his royal apartments he was quite happy to interpret the lustral basin as an ordinary bathroom. Since there are a number of lustral basins dotted about Knossos, it seems rather likely that they were all used for the same purpose, which would exclude the use of this particular lustral basin as the queen's bathroom.

Dana, the foot washing was part of the ritual of hospitality, it would not take place in a bathroom, I am thinking but could be wrong.

Hexter is on the ball with some things here: Iros  is apparently a play on words, his real name was Arnaios, but the suitors dubbed him Iros and Hexter says it's a take on Iris, the female messenger of the gods because Iros was always being sent on errands by the suitors: a gofer. And there's another pun on his name later on as well.

One question Hexter himself asks and does not answer is: does Penelope have a suspicion that O is the stranger? Is that why she appears and makes the speech she does? He says endless reams of paper have been written on Penelope's appearance, and how unusual it is and then cites O's  parting words that when the shadow of a beard is on T, then she can choose a new husband and move on. Or is that what she has come to do? It adds a lot of urgency to O's need to return home,  time's a wasting.

Lots of suspense here in 18!! And we move to 19 on Saturday, is everybody up with us?

I agree, RoshanaRose, that Athena is acting as puppeteer and I thought that was a good point, Babi, about who is really the driving force, Athena or Penelope?  Hexter says that the business about the worthy suitor also going to be killed may be in there (note the may) because Homer wanted to make it clear that the mortals here really have no choice in mercy: the gods will all the suitors dead. (Tho there is some speculation about Amphinomous's being too weak to remove himself, as some sort of tragic flaw, but it's not developed. It would make no difference, apparently.

Babi:
Interesting conception of Odysseus house.  Is it based on findings of old
homes in ancient Greek ruins, I wonder?  Did you notice the altar to Zeus
placed right up front?  That was a nice touch.

I don't know, I'm not finding a lot about J Lazenby other than an astonishing bit of his writings  on ancient Greeks, but who or what he was I have no idea nor why he did that design. The lararium, (if this is of interest) or altar in the house was often in the atrium or prominent public room in  Roman times. Looking at the structure of the Odysseus Palace does remind me of one of the Greek temples at Paestum, tho.

So it's interesting to speculate on what's motivating Penelope at this point.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #1677 on: June 16, 2011, 05:56:24 PM »
I've finally found a bit about the life of women among the Greeks. The OCCL says "Homer and the Greek tragedians depict their female characters-- Penelope......and others---as enjoying a moderately free social life, but naturally the heroines' behavior is governed by literary convention and need not be taken to be completely realistic. "

It appears that the women of the 7th c BC, however,  enjoyed some measure of independence and considerable social freedom within her own social circle.

"In democratic Athens women had severely limited rights. They had no political rights whatsoever and could take no part in the running of the city....A woman was allowed very little room by law for independent action. Her marriage was arranged by her father or nearest male relation. She could not inherit or own  property or enter into any transaction that involved more than the value of a bushel of grain. Any business that concerned her had to be dealt with on her behalf by husband, father or guardian. If she had no brothers to inherit her father's property, she as heiress 'went with the property' (the literal meaning of the Greek word), i.e., the male next of kin who took the property had to marry her, divorcing his previous wife if he had one, unless he renounced his inheritance. The heiress herself might have to divorce her husband in order to comply.

Women were kept in seclusion in the home...The women at Athens had their separate quarters in the house.....They seldom left the house, and if they did were always accompanied by a slave...."

I guess that's where I got the "not without my daughter" idea. There's more.  Athens as a Democracy was established in 508 BC.

I don't know how much of this would have been handed down after the "dark ages," or what, that's what makes the Odyssey so fascinating, we're literally peering into the past. Kind of exciting, especially to see so many common emotions surfacing.

Dana

« Reply #1678 on: June 16, 2011, 08:34:55 PM »
I was translating recently "The training of a Greek housewife" by Xenophon, a dialogue between himself and Socrates--in which Xenophon describes how he "trained" his young wife (15) to run his household.  Of which she was 100% in charge, slaves and all.  The interesting thing is , how patronising he is, and how on the other hand she makes fun of him, which he freely reports.  There is another book which I have for translation but have not started on yet, called "On the Murder of Eratosthenes" by Lysias (445 bc or so) which is supposed to be about the dysfunctional greek family of the time, as contrasted with the former ideal depiction. Can't wait!  Whatever the circumstances, women (and everyone else I suppose) make the best of their situation I guess.  If they've got the nous  anyway.
I remember reading Simone de Beauvoir when I was a teenager and admiring her attitude and thinKing it ought to be emulated, her attitude to being cheated on by men.....which was, women have to be strong enough to take it in their stride.  Now I think its crap.  But apparently its still an attitude in France. So perhaps we have moved on, in some places, to some extent.  Does anyone remember "The Second Sex"?

mabel1015j

« Reply #1679 on: June 16, 2011, 09:08:16 PM »
Oh, yes! Read The Second Sex in the 70's! A must read at the time.

You might like to look at this site about women in Greece.

http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/greekwomen/p/022900ArchGkwom.htm

Jean