Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897751 times)

marjifay

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #6440 on: May 21, 2014, 10:59:50 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reminding me, Steph, that I had only read part of George's JUST ONE EVIL ACT (to page 166) before I had to return to the library.  I think I'll buy it used cheap from Amazon to finish it, as it's 732 pages.  I agree with you it was way too long, as were others of her later work.

I do like Sgt. Barbaba Havers and her neighbor Mr. Azher and his little daughter Hadyyah.  Had to laugh when Barbara, while on vacation, stopped in to her office and upset her's and Insp Lynley's boss with her Tshirt that read "Jesus died for our sins -- let's not disappoint him!"

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

rosemarykaye

« Reply #6441 on: May 21, 2014, 12:17:11 PM »
Tomereader, the reviews, etc I write are usually on the Edinburgh Reporter website:

http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/

I hope that link works but if not maybe you could Google it.

The report I just wrote about the launch of Jane MacKenzie's book has not yet been posted by the editor, I'll send it to you when it has.  you might also be interested in the bit I wrote about Chris Short's talk on the Scottish Women's Hospitals in the First World War - she was an excellent speaker and her material was fascinating.  It's on the site somewhere, although Phyllis (editor) does seem to arrange them in strange places sometimes...

Thanks so much for your interest,

Rosemary

MaryPage

« Reply #6442 on: May 21, 2014, 09:00:30 PM »
I've said it before, but am not bashful about saying it again:  Elizabeth George lost me completely as a reader when she killed off Helen.  I loved Helen.  She should not have been killed off.  Beastly thing to do.  She (George) is not a bad writer.  Not a great writer, but not a bad one.  But her plots are tedious and tiresome now, and I think she has a negative turn of mind.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #6443 on: May 22, 2014, 04:55:49 AM »
Tomereader (& anyone else who's interested!) - this is what I wrote about the launch event for Jane MacKenzie's book, Daughter of Catalonia, which is set variously in the Spanish Civil War, the 1939-45 war in Vichy France, and 1958 (when Madeleine returns to France to find out what has happened to her father, who stayed behind as a member of the Resistance.):

http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2014/05/daughter-of-catalonia-jane-mackenzie-introduces-her-new-novel/

Thanks again for your interest - I have told MacKenzie's agent, Jenny Brown, that people in the US want to read it, on paper and on Kindle, so maybe she'll be able to make that happen.

Rosemary

Steph

« Reply #6444 on: May 22, 2014, 08:29:47 AM »
MarjiFay... the problem with the book is that Havers destroys any credibility in her search. breaks any number of laws thus far and is busy ruining every one else lives. She also believes her neighbor no matter what. This may be my last Elizabeth George book. I hate that Helen died.Authors love to kill off favorites and then bring down their main character. Linleys obsession with the drunken new chief is stupid. and now the vet, who is from a totally different world than he is. Bah
Stephanie and assorted corgi

MaryPage

« Reply #6445 on: May 22, 2014, 08:35:52 AM »
Wonderful, Rosemary!  Good on you!
I envy you the fun of writing and seeing your efforts in print!

Tomereader1

« Reply #6446 on: May 22, 2014, 01:14:50 PM »
Rosemary, you are a wonderful writer!  Glad you posted this for us!  Do you write this column every week?  Every month?

A strange question from an American who loves British novels:  What is a "council" house?  The term arises quite frequently and has always puzzled me.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

rosemarykaye

« Reply #6447 on: May 22, 2014, 05:33:22 PM »
Thank you so much!  I write it all the time - ie I choose which events to go to, then I write them up and submit them to the editor and she edits them and puts them on the website.  As I don't get paid I can choose how much or how little i do, but it takes up almost all my time because I love it so much.  However, I have only been doing it seriously this year, so time will tell.  I'm just back from a talk by Val McDermid, who was absolutely brilliant - so funny, so down to earth and such a good speaker.  Now I'll need to find time to write it up, which is always more difficult as the weekend approaches, as my family do not see this as a 'proper' job....

Tomereader - a council house is the old name for housing built and provided by the local authority (eg in Edinburgh it would be owned by the City of Edinburgh Council.)  The people who live in this housing pay a much lower rent than private landlords can charge.  Your eligibility for housing is based on need, but of course there has always been masses of controversy about the definition of 'need.'

During Margaret Thatcher's era, the 'right to buy' was introduced - this meant that vast amounts of housing stock were sold off to residents at knock-down prices (you got a discount on the valuation of anything up to 60% depending on how long you'd lived there, and the valuations were in no way commercial ones to start with.)  This system was of course royally abused - lots of people paid for their aged parents to 'buy' their properties, so that as soon as the parent died they could sell it on at vast profit.  This happened especially in London, where any property within a 10 mile radius of the centre (as many of these flats were) is worth a small fortune.  Huge profits were made and the housing stock was almost totally depleted.  Belatedly, some councils are now stopping the right to buy scheme - Scotland as a whole is really putting the brakes on. 

In my youth, however, there was a huge amount of council housing around London - my mother was born in the council house that her mother died in.  Of course when my grandmother acquired the tenancy in the 1920s, there was real need - they were living in 2 rented rooms with a shared toilet and they already had 5 children and no reliable income, my grandfather having been gassed in WW1 and rendered unemployable for the rest of his life.  Apparently my grandmother went to the housing office and said she would sit there until they offered her something. People were supposed to be given the choice of three properties, but as soon as they gave her the keys to the first one she said she would take it, she didn't need to see anything else.  It was actually a nice, well-built house, much better than many commercial new-builds today.  The area was OK-ish and now, of course, is quite smart as it's only a few miles from central London, but after my unmarried aunt died the tenancy was given up.

Sorry, that's a bit of a lecture!

Rosemary

Tomereader1

« Reply #6448 on: May 22, 2014, 06:06:33 PM »
Don't mind at all.  That's what I wanted...a thorough explanation of "council house".
Can't wait to read your piece on Val McDermid!

You go girl!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

nlhome

« Reply #6449 on: May 23, 2014, 08:30:14 AM »
Rosemary, thank you for the link to the article and for your explanation of council houses - I had a vague idea before, so this is filling it out.

mabel1015j

« Reply #6450 on: May 23, 2014, 11:03:55 AM »
Don't get fooled into reading Janet Evanovich's Pros and Cons. It says "short story", but if so it's a really bad one. All it is is an introduction to the characters in her new series about an FBI agent. I've read the first two of the series and liked them, but this came up on Kindle's "free" list (and it definitly should be ) so i tried it. Forget it, you don't need to read it to understand the characters and the premise of the new series. What a disappointment!

Jean

Steph

« Reply #6451 on: May 27, 2014, 12:19:52 PM »
I like Val McDermott very much. Would be fun to hear her. Reading some essays from Dana stable now and Val is an old friend

rosemarykaye

« Reply #6452 on: May 27, 2014, 01:25:15 PM »
For any of you who might be interested, here is a link to my article about Val McDermid's event:

http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2014/05/val-mcdermid-on-top-form-at-the-central-library/

Rosemary

Tomereader1

« Reply #6453 on: May 27, 2014, 02:01:56 PM »
Another excellent article, rosemarykaye!  Keep on sending those links to us!

André Maurois

rosemarykaye

« Reply #6454 on: May 27, 2014, 02:08:04 PM »
Oh thank you so much!  we don't get much feedback on the website, so I never really know how it comes across.

Val was a dream to listen to and to write about.  I imagine some of these anecdotes are trotted out many times - and when some other authors do that I get a bit fed up - but she makes everything so funny and entertaining that you don't mind. 

Rosemary

rosemarykaye

« Reply #6455 on: May 27, 2014, 02:09:09 PM »
PS - has anyone read Val McDermid's Northanger Abbey 're-imaging'?  It has had a good reception and sounds like something I would enjoy, I think I'll see if the library has it.

Rosemary

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #6456 on: May 27, 2014, 03:53:26 PM »
RosemaryK
Your article was so informative that I didn't realize that Val McDermid had also authored "Wire in the Blood" and even appeared in it several times.  It was shown over here in the '90's or early 2000's.  So, I will look up her children's books and "Northhanger Abbey" just to see what else she has enjoyed offering her readers.

Because I can't ignore any link offered, I read "A Nation of Zombies" by  ????Mike Smith??? in the Ediburough
News from yesterday edition.  Pretty funny!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

marjifay

« Reply #6457 on: May 28, 2014, 12:25:12 PM »
I haven't read anything by Val McDermid.  But I don't think I'd start with Northanger Abby, her latest.  It gets only 3/5 stars from 35 Amazon readers so far. 

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

mrssherlock

« Reply #6458 on: May 29, 2014, 04:12:39 PM »
When I started reading The Outsmarting of Criminals, Steve Rigolosi, I wasn't sure whether i would finish it.  I'm glad I did read it all.  It has all the elements of a cozy as the heroine reminds herself though she doesn't use that category.  For instance she notes that most Outsmarters have a four-legged companion, usually feline.  She becomes mistress of a dog, however, noting that some do have a dog.  This after she has purchased the requisite cottage in the standard bucolic village.  All the usual characters/suspects live in the village or just outside it, i.e. the Manor. As each new scene or character is introduced she checks them off her mental list.  First in a series, I'm eager to read the next one.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6459 on: May 29, 2014, 05:06:41 PM »
Jackie: That sounds delightful! I've ordered it on my kindle, but couldn't find him on FF..

Started a writer that, so far, I find really funny: Michael Kahn
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/k/michael-a-kahn/

A (woman) Legal Beagle. I'm reading "The Flinch Factor". Warning:some four letter words and mildly crude humor, lots of Yiddish terms, which I enjoy, but could get old by book 10. But so far, so good!

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #6460 on: May 30, 2014, 10:48:04 AM »
My number finally came up on the library reserve list for Albert's new China Bayles series "Death Come Quickly".  Will finish "Death in the Garden" by Elizabeth Ironside first.  I'm halfway through and must finish this interesting book.

mrssherlock

« Reply #6461 on: May 31, 2014, 11:37:25 AM »
Tony Hillerman was on my TBR immediately list.  C J Box likewise.  A TV series which is a meld of the two authors' voice starts its new  season Monday on A&E.  Longmire.  I've been watching reruns lately and the second viewing is as good as the first.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

salan

« Reply #6462 on: May 31, 2014, 12:22:26 PM »
MrsSherlock, I enjoy the tv series Longmire, too.  I have been re-watching season 1 and am eagerly looking forward to the new one on Monday.
Sally

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6463 on: May 31, 2014, 06:04:12 PM »
Jackie: a meld of Hillerman and Box? They both love the land, but a very different land. (Well, maybe not so different.) What land is the background for Longmire? Maybe I have to get A&E -- I've always begrudged the expense.

Tomereader1

« Reply #6464 on: May 31, 2014, 08:14:05 PM »
Longmire is in Wyoming. 

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #6465 on: June 01, 2014, 07:58:38 AM »
I have watched a few Longmire and have found two of his books. Like the books better.

mabel1015j

« Reply #6466 on: June 01, 2014, 11:18:23 AM »
I just finished the first book by "Richard Castle" in his "Nikki Heat" series. I thoroughly enjoyed it and will read more in the series. It is very weird though, no one seems to know who "Richard Castle" really is. I actually found the book more charming and witty than the tv series. There is a lot of pop culture and literature references, which i found kind of fun.

He has a second series about some one named Storm, an ex-CIA agent. Each title has the word Storm in it.

Jean

mrssherlock

« Reply #6467 on: June 01, 2014, 01:24:41 PM »
Joan:  Yes, Hillerman and Box Love the land. It is that love of the land that most resonates in Longmire, love of the land and the reverence for all life.  Little things, visual, silent - he caresses the face of a sadly mistreated wild horse before he and the horse go their separate ways.

If you grew up when I did, before TV, voices and the spoken word loomed large.  Many times I can identify actors by their voices when I don't know the faces.  But authors sometimes treat the visual and the spoken.  For instance when an actor is listening to a foreign language lesson but then pronounces a word as it's written instead, it is mentally jarring.   Also jarring, the response to a question which should be 'yes' but is written 'yeah' instead.  Excuse me, I woke up a curmudgeon today instead of my usual angelic self.    

I haven't read Nikki Heat.  Storm was disappointing.   I love Castle and watch the reruns with as much enjoyment as the first runs.  Not many shows as good these days.

Welcome home, Steph.  Traveling with family is so rewarding many times, none of that awkwardness one finds when getting acquainted with strangers.
Jackie

marjifay

« Reply #6468 on: June 01, 2014, 01:53:03 PM »
Thanks, JoanK, for recommending the author Michael Kahn.  I'd not heard of him.

I just finished David Baldacci's THE TARGET.  If you like thrillers, this is a terrific one.  I especially liked the part about the woman who was sent to a North Korean concentration camp as a child.  (If an adult is sent to a camp, his/her entire family is sent there also.)  It tells about the awful camp life and some of what it's like to live in that horrible country.  Baldacci does a great job not only of writing, but of research.  

Now I want to read the nonfiction book, DEAR LEADER; POET, SPY, ESCAPEE, A LOOK INSIDE NORTH KOREA by Jang Jim-sung.  The book description says, "In this rare insider’s view into contemporary North Korea, a high-ranking counterintelligence agent describes his life as a former poet laureate to Kim Jong-il and his breathtaking escape to freedom.  Never before has a member of the elite described the inner workings of this totalitarian state and its propaganda machine. An astonishing exposé told through the heart-stopping story of Jang Jin-sung’s escape to South Korea, Dear Leader is a rare and unprecedented insight into the world’s most secretive and repressive regime."

Marj

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6469 on: June 01, 2014, 01:56:50 PM »
Ah. Here is the Longmire series, by Craig Johnson.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/j/craig-johnson/

Great! If I like them, there are enough books to keep me busy for a long time!

mrssherlock

« Reply #6470 on: June 01, 2014, 06:47:19 PM »
Marjifay:  How timely these books on North Korea are.  These sound like good nominations for discussion. 
Jackie

Zulema

« Reply #6471 on: June 01, 2014, 08:45:41 PM »
Steph and I think Marjifay also:  I feel the same way about this last book by Elizabeth George.  Havers went off her rocker and gets rescued by her alcoholic boss.  Linley now is involved with another unsuitable love interest, and though it seems Haddiya (sp.?) is being taken back to Pakistan, I think they will stay in Switzerland until it is safe to come back to England.  But what's the point of all that? And over 730 pages.  I took a cart to the library to get the book.

I just re-read M. C. Beaton's Death of Yesterday (2013), a Hamish Macbeth book.  She writes the Agatha Raisin books also, which I don't care for.  But I've always liked the Macbeth ones.  There are more than 20 of them, set in the remote Highlands.  This last one has so many people killed you might think they are gruesome but these are light and humorous, and very light reading indeed.  She wrote a stand alone whose title I can't remember, of course, about a woman moving into a cottage and finding a skeleton in a wall.  I really liked that one, and I cannot tell you more about it, so why am I even mentioning it?

Also just read Camilleri's Treasure Hunt.  His are always enjoyable, take place in Sicily.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #6472 on: June 01, 2014, 09:40:20 PM »
I love the Hamish books.  Have you seen the BBC series based on the books?  There are 3 seasons (I think), and available from Netflix.  Very good.  We've been fortunate enough to visit the town where the series was filmed.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Steph

« Reply #6473 on: June 02, 2014, 08:27:16 AM »
I like Hamish, but dislike Agatha quite a lot. Still plugging on the Elizabeth George, but the way it is going, this will be the last book of hers, I will try. She has destroyed her main characters as far as I can see.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #6474 on: June 02, 2014, 09:18:04 AM »
I couldn't locate A Good Death so got Elizabeth Ironside's  Death in the Garden instead.  It's a thoughtful and interesting book about a beautiful, bohemian woman at her 30th birthday party and her grand-niece 60 years later.  According to the jacket cover Elizabeth Ironside is the pseudonym of Lady Catherine Manning.  I'll continue to look for the other book as she is a good writer.

mrssherlock

« Reply #6475 on: June 02, 2014, 12:04:03 PM »
I gave up on Elizabeth George after the last one before this.  Reading her now is like trying to put breath in a wax museum exhibit.

Ironside's Good Death isn't in my library so I, too, have Death in the Garden but haven't opened it yet.  I'm reading several now, did I read here about Ann Purser?  It is appropriate accompaniment to Last Tango in Halifax, at least in that the ages of the principals are similar.

Haven't caught the bug after several exposures.
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #6476 on: June 03, 2014, 08:46:07 AM »
I do like Elizabeth Ironsides very much and have read both of the books. Also Charles Finch, who writes about a different era, but the two writers for some reason remind me of each other.

MaryPage

« Reply #6477 on: June 03, 2014, 01:08:12 PM »
I found out about Charles Finch in this forum, I think from you, Steph, and ordered all of his books from Thriftbooks and B&N.  I am now enjoying the 4th one, Stranger In Mayfair.  I just love, love, love all of Lenox's friends and assistants, and really soak up his love for Lady Jane.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6478 on: June 03, 2014, 03:08:58 PM »
Read the latest Laura Levine last night, "Killing Cupid" (Yes, it's a quick read). Pure fluff, and forget any sense of reality, but funny. She's the one with parents who send her loopy e-mails about their crazy shenanigans while she's trying to solve a murder by running around and asking all the suspects if they did it.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/l/laura-levine/

mrssherlock

« Reply #6479 on: June 03, 2014, 10:10:05 PM »
D**N!  Another must-read author!  Have you read Lisa Lutz?  Funny, slapstick stories about a family PI firm.  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/l/lisa-lutz/
Jackie