Author Topic: Mystery Corner  (Read 158202 times)

Alexan

Re: Mystery Corner
« Reply #320 on: March 14, 2009, 11:34:25 PM »
I am Scottish born and bred - I live in Canada though - The Scots are also keen on "a wee cup of tea".    I don't make mine "fierce" - I also prefer lemon, but it always surprised my mother who lived all her life in Scotland and only visited Canada about twice, that I would not take milk in my tea.   

People tend to think of the British Isles as being "England" - I always make sure that it is known that I am from Scotland.   There are subtle cultural differences between the English and the Scots.

I didn't know Elizabeth George wasn't English, but she spends her time between the States and London.    Her books certainly have the flavour of an English writer.    I always look for the spelling of such words as flavour, honour etc.    These are currently being marked as being in error as I type them. 

Alexan

« Reply #321 on: March 14, 2009, 11:49:05 PM »
P.S.
I found it interesting the mention of "class" conscience.

Yes, The English are very "class" conscious.    It is also prevalent in Scotland to a lesser extent.    Our famous Scottish poet Rabbie (Robert) Burns was very much against class distinction.   His poem "A man's a man for all that" shows his disregard for social standing and his strong feelings to the real character of people as being more important.    His lines from another of his works says "If we could see ourselves as others see us it would from many a blunder free us".    These are lines from his poem "To a louse" - if you are interested you can google it and  read the whole poem.   There is some translation needed for some Scottish words.

Steph

« Reply #322 on: March 15, 2009, 09:19:55 AM »
Just finished a truly unusual book.. Sort of a mystery, a ghost story and a lovely narrative about certain types of people. Jennifer McMahon.. "Promise not to tell". I liked it. I think it was her first since she was not really accomplished in transitions, but the story was worth while. Anyone else tried it??
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Sandy

« Reply #323 on: March 15, 2009, 09:51:04 AM »
I like most English mystery writers, not all, but most of them. Its actually hard to remember that E. George is not English. She really has the people down to a science. We have english friends and it is always surprising to me that they have a certain attitude about certain classes in England. And... of course the famous thing years ago, when I first met them. I was invited to have a cup of t ea.. She offered me milk, which startled me and I said, no just lemon and then out of the pot came a snarling black stuff.. Whew.. She laughed and said she loved fierce tea.. From then on.. it was milk in it and lots of it.

Thanks to all the comments about Elizabeth George I cannot wait to read  some of her books. I am partial to British ( and apparently British -appearing books). I'd welcome any others that readers might recommend. I am sorry my favorite British series all seem to be finished on TV.
Am I missing any good ones still running?

Babi

« Reply #324 on: March 15, 2009, 11:16:37 AM »
"Subtle cultural differences", ALEXAN?  You surprise me. I have always thought of the Scots, the English and the Irish as all quite unique people and cultures.  And I'm familiar with both the lines you quoted from Robbie (Rabbie?) Burns. I've always enjoyed his poems.

I like ghost stories, too, STEPH, though it's been a long time since I read a good one. I'll check out McMahon. Thank you.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Alexan

« Reply #325 on: March 15, 2009, 12:25:32 PM »
Babi - Yes, they are unique as you say - however a great many people consider England as being the whole of the British Isle.    In this day and age the differences are "subtle" and not so apparent as in bye-gone days.  I am amused that they have made a movie called "The stone of Destiny" - I remember when it was stolen many years ago.   This was a great bone of contention between England and Scotland.

Sandy - My favourite British author of mysteries is Ian Rankin.    His detective character called Rebus is located in Edinburgh.   His mysteries show the Scottish heritage and culture.    You may enjoy his books - some of which have been televised.

The last one I read was called "Exit Music".   I'd start with one of his earlier books - Knots and crosses.

http://www.ianrankin.net/

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #326 on: March 15, 2009, 02:58:09 PM »
"Promise Not to Tell" sounds good. I'll put it on my impossibly long list of books to read.

Another very different author who tries to give the flavor of Edinburgh is Alexander McCall Smith in his series that are not "The Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency". These are mysteries, but the mystery is so slight, you might not even notice it. His Edenburgh is very different from Rankin's, as most of his characters are upper class intellectuals. They have a different voce than "Ladies" and are an aquired taste -- I didn't like them at first, but now I do.

Sandy

« Reply #327 on: March 15, 2009, 05:02:38 PM »
Babi - Yes, they are unique as you say - however a great many people consider England as being the whole of the British Isle.    In this day and age the differences are "subtle" and not so apparent as in bye-gone days.  I am amused that they have made a movie called "The stone of Destiny" - I remember when it was stolen many years ago.   This was a great bone of contention between England and Scotland.

Sandy - My favourite British author of mysteries is Ian Rankin.    His detective character called Rebus is located in Edinburgh.   His mysteries show the Scottish heritage and culture.    You may enjoy his books - some of which have been televised.

The last one I read was called "Exit Music".   I'd start with one of his earlier books - Knots and crosses.

http://www.ianrankin.net/

Golden State Poppy

• Connie
« Reply #328 on: March 15, 2009, 05:38:49 PM »
I read the link about Ian Rankin.  I plan to read one of his books in the future.  I hope that Amazon has them among used books.

I read the last of the four books in the readers digest book, "A Place to Call Home" by Deborah Smith.  I had put off reading it because I thought it would be just another romance.  To my surprise, it moved me to tears.  It is about an Irish family that settled in Georgia.  The narrator, Claire, fell in love with Roan Sullivan but when she was age 10 and he was 15.  He left due to circumstance beyond her control but because her parents didn't approve of him.

To quote:  "I planned to be the kind of southern lady who talked to her tomato plants and brought sweaters for her cats.  I'd be deliberately peculiar.  I'd wear bright red lipstick and tell embarrassing true stories about my family, and people would say, 'I heard she was a litttle funny, if you know what I mean.'".

Anyway, after two decades of being apart, they met again when she was in the hospital recovering after an accident.  She thought she had halucinated since he wasn't there when she woke up and no one else saw him. 

"Roanie Sullivan has never had a home.  Claire Maloney has always had one...a home rooted in the Georgia Mountairns, nourished by a large and caring family.  Yet when their paths crass as children, their friendship is instant.  And the ties that bind then are strong enough to last a lifetime."

Needless to say, I plan to read more of her books.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #329 on: March 15, 2009, 10:25:19 PM »
Another British writer whose books escape genre labels is Joann Harris, author of Chocolat, Coastlines, and Five Quarters of the Orange.  While they may all be touched with problems, you probably would not call them mysteries.  But the one I'm reading now, Gentlemen and Players, is a mystery of sorts -- set in a contempory day school for well-heeled boys. A main character has come from out of the past, bent on seeking revenge and destroying the school in secret and subtle ways, no matter what the consequences may be.  But no one knows who this person is, and neither do we.

Alexan

« Reply #330 on: March 15, 2009, 11:24:17 PM »
Ran out of reading material late on Sunday - Finished Elizabeth George's "In Pursuit of the Proper Sinner".   Can't remember who it was that said she liked the one in which Barbara got into trouble on the North Sea by saving her neighbour's child's life.   This is the book following that one.   Barbara gets demoted unjustifiably for her actions and the story surrounds that event.    I enjoyed it.

Having nothing to read I went to our in-house library which is very limited - I've picked up a book by Stuart Woods called "The short forever".   It's very light reading - quite entertaining, but not up to Eliz. George and definitely not up to Ian Rankin.

Alexan

« Reply #331 on: March 15, 2009, 11:30:27 PM »
Sandy - Just been informed by a friend that the TVO (TV Ontario Canada) is starting an Ian Rankin mystery on Monday - The Falls.  You were asking about British series on TV.

http://www.tvo.org/TVO/WebObjects/TVO.woa?schedule?1237197600000

Also on BBCC (BBC Canada) they are doing Dalziel and Pascoe it is on a 11 p.m. on a Sunday.   Don't know if you can get that TV Channel.

Steph

« Reply #332 on: March 16, 2009, 07:56:33 AM »
I never liked the African ones of Alexander McCall Smith, but the Edinburgh are sort of neat. Takes a while to get into the mood, but then they grow on you.
Since quite a few years ago, I was in the tourist business ( owned a shop outside of Disney), I will tell you that most shop owners feel they can tell the difference in the Brits ( generic in Disney for all English). I can spot an English to this day. Not sure just why, but I am about 90% right.. My favorite customers were Scots.. They have a lovely accent and the small town ones are gentle and kind.. Only person I ever heard use the term "wee thing" was a lovely older Scot gentleman. He was watching a little girl in our store who was on the wooden rocking horse. She loved it and since he was her Grandpa.. She got it.. I did laugh.

Babi

« Reply #333 on: March 16, 2009, 10:03:05 AM »
 When my Dad was a young man, he had Scots friend who traveled with him during the depression, working harvests.  Dad said the workers would sit around a campfire at night, while John told stories in his rich Scots brogue, entrancing them all.  Unfortunately, John's visitors permit had run out, and the immigration people showed up one day looking for him.  Dad told John to go hide in the field (he was small enough to hide in the corn and not be seen), while he tried to convince immigration that John was long gone.  They decided to take Dad in for further questioning, but when John saw them taking Dad away he thought they were arresting him.  He came bursting out of the field hollering, "It's me you want". 
  Epilogue...many years later, Dad got a call from a Houston paper, wanting to know if he knew a John Clark.  They had a letter from John, wanting to know if they could help him find his "tall Texas friend".  Happy ending!
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

maeve

« Reply #334 on: March 16, 2009, 03:30:43 PM »
My father's cousin married a Scotsman.  Loved to hear that man talk.

I've tried watching one of the mysteries on TV that is from Scotland but I can't understand what they are saying.  It's a combination of my not so good hearing and the accent.  I am going to try and find one of Rankin's books.  I think I'll like it.

MaryE

EvelynMC

« Reply #335 on: March 16, 2009, 04:00:18 PM »
Maeve, You sign your name as MaryE.  If you don't mind my asking, does the E stand for Evelyn and is your name Mary Evelyn?

I'm asking because my name is Evelyn Mary, and I thought it might be a nice coincidence.

Evelyn

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #336 on: March 16, 2009, 07:40:33 PM »
BABI: what a lovely story.

MAEVE: I have the same trouble with some of the British shows on PBS.

mabel1015j

« Reply #337 on: March 16, 2009, 09:51:05 PM »
I love watching Craig Ferguson on the Late, Late Show on CBS. And i love his Scottish accent, plus the fact that he's funny and natural. I never watch David Letterman any more, he's so scripted and does the same bits over and over. Craig is so relaxed and i usually don't like silliness, but he does funny silliness. ........ maybe it's just the accent ;D ....................jean

marjifay

« Reply #338 on: March 16, 2009, 11:05:29 PM »
Jean, I like Craig Ferguson too.  I keep meaning to get his book,
THE BRIDGE AND THE RIVER, which looks like an offbeat, but funny novel.  Readers at Amazon give it good reviews.
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

maeve

« Reply #339 on: March 17, 2009, 07:34:55 AM »
Evelyn, that's right.  My name is Mary Evelyn.  It was my mother's name also but she went by Evelyn and all my relatives used both of my names so we didn't get mixed up.

It is a nice coincidence.

MaryE

Steph

« Reply #340 on: March 17, 2009, 07:47:24 AM »
I have a friend who is Maeve, but that is her name, not a nickname..

winsummm

« Reply #341 on: March 17, 2009, 04:24:06 PM »
well I just bought the ART THIEF for my Kindle which is the first book I had done so with and it ran out of battery while playing chapter three.  There has been about twelve hours of learning time, some spent with the techi so it isn't strange.

it is costing me ten dollars. That is more than I would normally spend since I like used paperbacks, but I didn't have to go get it anywhere or find space on a shelf. so now it is charging and I well tend to business elsewhere.

it is a strange life with this thing. It takes longer to read a book and it costs more but it is also a case of INSTANT GRATIFICATION in acquiring it immediately after reading a sample.

this book has a lot of french in it and I don't speak French but  how Do you  say comsi comsa.
thimk

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #342 on: March 17, 2009, 05:00:31 PM »
winsum, you can read with the Kindle plugged in and charging.  And, it's comme ci, comme ca - but we understood what you meant.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #343 on: March 17, 2009, 07:53:06 PM »
Claire: let us know how the kindle goes as you continue to use it.

winsummm

« Reply #344 on: March 17, 2009, 11:46:00 PM »
mary thanks for correcting my unfrench.  It was just a guess here anyway and . . . I love this book. it is a lesson in art history. did you suggest it or  whoever did I owe you and it is worth the ten bucks but I think I'll use the kindle to sample books I can order for less. Ten bucks is pretty standard there although  there are some for less. I read seven chapters and there are nineteen I think of this book.

still learning to use it had to get help today from the techie at amazon. but it's nice to have huge print when I want it.

claire
thimk

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #345 on: March 18, 2009, 09:51:41 AM »
Re Art Thief - it wasn't my recommendation, but I'll definitely look it up.  Thanks.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

mrssherlock

« Reply #346 on: March 18, 2009, 10:56:33 AM »
Can you go back later and reread a book on the Kindle?  So many times when I've run out of new things to read I'll dig out a goodie from my past and reread it.  That's the only reason I buy books anymore, if it is one that I'll want to reread. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #347 on: March 18, 2009, 11:12:13 AM »
Yes, of course, Jackie.  Once you buy it, it's yours.  Even if you delete it from your Kindle, it's still registered to you with Amazon, and you can get it back anytime. I'm thinking I'll probably get a couple of those "oldies, but goodies", just to have for my own.

mrssherlock

« Reply #348 on: March 18, 2009, 11:19:05 AM »
That would work for poetry, too.  My copy of Spoon River hasn't been touched for decades but one of these days I'll be in the mood for it.  And Shakespeare.  But I'm not sure how I would liike the electronic interface.  Is it heavy to hold?  Do you prop it up, like you can prop a book?  Can you highlight or underline, make notes?
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #349 on: March 18, 2009, 11:26:19 AM »
Thanks, Winsummm for the recommendation of Art Thief.  I am getting it on my Kindle right now.  Can hardly wait to read it.

Joan G
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #350 on: March 18, 2009, 11:34:36 AM »
Jackie, it's quite light - and about the size of a trade paperback, but only 3/8" thick.  I have a problem with my hands - holding heavy books and holding the pages open.  That's really why I got the Kindle.  I usually read in my recliner, and always had to prop up a book.  The Kindle I can prop up, or hold - either way is okay.  I don't know about underlining, but you can makes notes, or bookmark pages.  I haven't done it, but I know those are available features.

mrssherlock

« Reply #351 on: March 18, 2009, 04:22:06 PM »
It's sounding better and better.  My library has a program for electronic download for books, uses a microsoft Zune machine.  I bought an Ipod just for audio books and couldn't use it, not compatible.  The download is free, lasts 2 weeks then goes away.
Jackie

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #352 on: March 18, 2009, 04:33:17 PM »
I don't think you can download books from your library to a Kindle, Jackie.  There may be a way to download it to your computer and then to the Kindle, but I don't know about that.  The only way I know - so far - is to buy books from Amazon.  Having said that, our daughter sent me a site with books that you can download free to your computer, and then from there to a Kindle.  I haven't tried that, though.  It's http://www.feedbooks.com/

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #353 on: March 18, 2009, 08:21:08 PM »
The Art Thief might have been my recommendation. My f2f book club read it, and we all liked it. It's written by an expert in art theft, and you learn a lot about that and the art world. That's its strength (that and the clever solution): if you like character development, it's not your thing.

Steph

« Reply #354 on: March 19, 2009, 08:12:09 AM »
The kindle is sounding better and better. I love the newspaper aspect. Our local paper is getting worse and worse. I think I would like the New York Times or the Washington Post for national news..

Babi

« Reply #355 on: March 19, 2009, 09:08:34 AM »
I'm afraid I find our major local paper an embarassment.  The front page seems more like the old 'Lifestyle' section, and the news is relevated to back pages.  Needless to say, I don't subscribe. I check out the current news on-line instead.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #356 on: March 19, 2009, 10:07:51 AM »
We will, I guess, always subscribe to the local paper and maybe Newsweek.  John refuses to watch TV news, and gets his other news on-line (Wash.Post, and several international papers).

mrssherlock

« Reply #357 on: March 19, 2009, 01:52:40 PM »
My news comes from NPR and Newshour except for headlines on Yahoo.  But I subscribe to local Salem and statewide Oregonian.  Both have shrunk alarmingly which speaks of the slippery slope.  Seattle Post Intelligencer and Denver Rocky Mountain News have both quit publishing.  My former fav, SF Chronicle, is on the block.  My family has read the Chron for 60 plus years, since we arrived in San Jose in 1943.  I can't imagine a world without newspapers.
Jackie

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #358 on: March 19, 2009, 02:14:21 PM »
Amen, Jackie!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #359 on: March 19, 2009, 03:10:18 PM »
This is a great on-line magazine done so professionally it is amazing and today they have come out with an article that includes interviews about the demise of Newsprint.

http://flypmedia.com/issues/plus/03/#1/1
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe