Author Topic: The Library  (Read 149268 times)

Steph

Re: The Library ~ NEW
« Reply #320 on: July 05, 2009, 08:28:41 AM »

The Library

Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is  always out.
Do come in from the wind and rain and join us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!

Everyone is welcome!

Suggestion Box for Future Discussions

I loved Pearl Buck and tried to read every thing she ever wrote. Some hold up better than others. She was also a most interesting person to boot.

The huge variety of books and why, where and when we read them is interesting. When I think of the things I read in my 20's etc. I used to get on a streak and had to read everything a particular author had written. At that time, library loan was not a common thing and boy did it take forever to find some of the book. I still like to read everything if I like the author, but am not quite so posessed.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #321 on: July 05, 2009, 09:17:07 AM »
Those contest may seem silly, GINNY, but the winner actually will be the
next Food Network star. Big money and big prestige, ...like Bobby Flay.

MARY, I'm impressed by your grandson's choices in his reading list. All are
certainly influential books. One doesn't have to agree with the premise of a
book in order to learn something from it. In fact, reading a book one
disagrees with can confirm and clarify one's own position. FRYBABE put it
very well in her  last post.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #322 on: July 05, 2009, 09:29:17 AM »
Oh I agree totally Babi, in fact, great minds run together, I was just thinking about Bobby Flay (who?) this morning  and the fame he has reaped from this entire experience, including the Chef program, with the guy who does the karati or whatever it is, the Chairman. Now THERE'S a program, have you all seen IT?

These people,  like Guy Fieri, have become stars, all thanks to the Food Network's  programs.  I guess it's OK because apparently they can cook, which I can't.

I think,  however,  they are capable of choosing a TV personality without a season's worth of grueling and demeaning  contests.  It's a cute gimmick and certainly in tune with today's media obsessed culture. That producer ( who is the nice looking man with grey hair who is one of the judges on the Next FN Star)  knows  what he is doing, apparently, since he in fact created all this....whatever you call it. Food World Celebrity.

Still reading Ripley, the third book, Ripley's Game,  the one the movie is made from with John Malkovitch is DARK. VERY dark.  Noir definitely. If I were going to skip one I'd skip it I think, loses somewhat the Ripley charm. The movie takes a lot more liberties with the book to make it clear what the resentment was which caused the unfolding events.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #323 on: July 05, 2009, 12:39:35 PM »
Just a quick note - Geraldine Brooks' People of the Book - (voted for discussion by many of you several months ago) - will begin on July 15.  Though travelling abroad, the author has agreed to communicate with us and  respond to our questions, via email.  We are quite excited about it.

Join the Prediscussion going on now, so that we will be ready to hit the ground running on the 15th. You'll find us right here - People of the Book

For those who need more information about this book -
You'll fall in love with  Hanna Heath,  Geraldine Brooks'  edgy  Aussie rare book expert with an attitude, a loner with a real passion for her work.  How could she refuse this opportunity of a lifetime, the conservation of the beautifully illustrated Sarajevo  Haggadah, the mysterious Hebrew manuscript, created in Spain in the 15th century?

The invitation will bring Hanna into war-torn Bosnia in the spring of 1996 and then,  into the world of fine art forgers and international fanatics. Her intuitive investigation  of the manuscript will put her in a time capsule to medieval Spain and  then back to Northern Australia again with a number of stops along the way.  This is based on the travels of an actual manuscript, which has surfaced over the centuries since its creation in Spain.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #324 on: July 05, 2009, 01:26:41 PM »
Oh - and don't forget tonight's episode on PBS Masterpiece - We're all looking forward to the new Miss Marple in  Agatha Christie's Pocketful of Rye.- this is an all new production with a new Miss Marple.  Here is an interview with Julia McKenzie, talking of her role as Miss Marple -  If you are hard of hearing, you will probably have some trouble hearing it - her voice is quite soft - If you can turn up your audio, you will probably have to do so.

Join the discussion here  in

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #325 on: July 05, 2009, 03:26:38 PM »
GINNY: you lost me a few posts back. It sounded as if you wanted to compare The Good Earth with Mein Kampf? ??? ???

I salute those who read Mein Kampf. That was on my list of "most influential" too, but I knew I couldn't stand to read it.

Another such storyy: during the height of the cold war, I worked for a hush hush research organization. Every six months we had to take a lie detector test, in which they asked all sorts of question about whether we were communists. One of them was whether we had read "The Communist Manefesto". I had taken a course called "Great documents of history", in which we were required to read it. So I always had to say "yes, I read it, but I couldn't help it".

I was never picked to be on the most top scret studies, and I often wondered if this was why. I think the whole country was in a state of paranoa then.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #326 on: July 05, 2009, 03:59:59 PM »
Joan K, no, I was responding to the last post above mine, by Mary who had just said, There is no substitute for knowledge.  I hope you get to read "Little Red Book". hahaha,

So I figured it might make an interesting parallel to the Good Earth, which is actually required reading in China today to see what it was like around the time of the Boxer Rebellion.

BUT Mein Kamf would probably make an interesting parallel too, come to think of it! :)

bellemere

« Reply #327 on: July 05, 2009, 10:12:38 PM »
Funny perceptive article about romance writher Nora Roberts in the New Yorker.  Wanna write a romance?  Pick one from each grouping.
Plot Devices:
Marriage of Covenience
Mistaken Identity
Secret Baby
Stranded with a Stranger
Runaway Bride
Woman in Jeopardy
Reunion Romance
the Dad next door

Now pick a hero type:
Millionaire tycoon
Starving artist
Astronaut
Football coach
Cardiac surgeon
Motorcycle mechanic/poet
Forest Ranger
Judge\
Test pilot

Interesting locale
Tahiti
Manhattan
Sicily
Ecuador
Chicago suburb
California coast
College town in New England
Ireland

Color of heroine's eyes
Green (most popular)
Hazel
Gold flecked brown
Violet
Azur
Black, almond shaped

if you need more, get :Writing a romance novel for Dummies"  Bet yu can come up with a best seller!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #328 on: July 05, 2009, 10:26:58 PM »
Tee hee, Belemere.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #329 on: July 06, 2009, 05:16:43 AM »
the new comedy short story is up and it is a bit of comedy that was requested back in the Spring 'the day I ate whatever I wanted'

The story is on-line - http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=351.msg28676#msg28676

Bellemere sounds like with the gift of gab any story can be told as long as you have the major ingredients.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #330 on: July 06, 2009, 07:37:12 AM »
That's funny, bellemarie! About...what....30-40  years ago, it was sort of a well kept? secret that publishers had an outline of what they wanted in Romance books. That may be why a lot of them seem so similar, but people hotly denied it  and now I'm sure they don't follow any outline. Or do they?

I went thru a stage where I read Gothic novels, which I believe are now (do they still write them?) considered Romances,  I could be wrong, just devoured them, but they, also, were quite similar.

I'd like to read that article, hopefully The New Yorker is online, I used to love that magazine.

Barbara, that sounds like great fun. I'm on a new diet myself but one day is Pig Out Day, when I also eat whatever I want, it usually turns out to be no fun whatsoever. I'll look it up, thank you!

bellemere

« Reply #331 on: July 06, 2009, 10:55:22 AM »
I have started "Justine" twice and had to quit.  I think I would love to try it again with a good discussion group.  I love exotic locations, like Alexandria. I also like our new Library page.
Just finished "What is the What' by Dave Eggers.  the story of one of the Sudanese Lost Boys . Riveting. Dave spent a lot of time with the refugee, Valentino, and not only gave an account but was able to convey the African point of view, with all its rich tradition. 
Also just finished"Hapsburg Twilight" by Sarah
Gainham.  Great chapters from the end of the Hapsburg Empire, including the tragedy of ;Mayerling. Scholarly, but especially great if you have ever been to Vienna and fallen in love with the city.
Our book club is picnicking or lunching during the day for the summer, instead of hosting evening discussions. We bring an old book from our shelves, talk about it , and lend it if somebody wants it.  I just lent "Savage Beauty" the life of Edna St. Vincent Millay.
Also finished "Losing Mum and Pup" by Christopher Buckley.  Very easy reading.  the last days of his parents.  Revealed some of the fascinating side of William Buckley, brilliant, kind, but a pain in the butt.  the fact that his son put the TV remote in his coffin with him says a lot.
so many wonderful recommendations here.  I will go broke at the bookstore or amazon.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #332 on: July 06, 2009, 11:16:38 AM »
Bellemere - please do go into Suggestions for future discussion.  Justine is exactly the kind of book we are  always looking for - one that would benefit with group discussion~.  The link to the Suggestion Box is in the heading here at the top of the page.  Thanks~!

mrssherlock

« Reply #333 on: July 06, 2009, 12:42:17 PM »
I have my library window open as well as a Fantastic Fiction window while I'm reading these posts so that i can research the titles/authors and request a reservation of those books which attradct me.  Australian authors recommended her resulted in my reading list including Breath, by Tim Winton, I'm Dying Laughing, by Christina Stead, Illywhacker, by Peter Carey.  Another book I read about here is Oracle Bones, by Peter Hessler. Thanks for keeping me aware.  As a compulsive reader I can get testy when there are no books on my TBR list so this fills a vital need for me.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

CallieOK

« Reply #334 on: July 06, 2009, 01:44:16 PM »
Jackie,  this isn't fiction but as a fellow compulsive reader  ;), you might like "Leave Me Alone, I'm Reading" by Maureen Corrigan - published 2005.
Jacket blurb says "NPR's Fresh Air book critic on life as an obsessive reader" and "Part memoir, part coming-of-age story, part reflection on favorite and influential books, (this book) views the author's life through her love of books."

It's an easy read - 193 pages, including Acknowledgements and Recommended Reading List.

I found it at the library but I think I'm going to buy a copy so I can underline and add margin notes.  That will save me from writing a chapter in my memoirs.  :)

Steph

« Reply #335 on: July 06, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »
Going to have to wait until we get home for the new discussion. Dont have the book.
Ginny.. Once upon a time, the Food Network had real chefs and cooks.. NOw they have beauty contests and male contestsfor biggest talker. I dont watch any more.. Only one on that is still good is Mario Batali.. So disappointing. I do love to cook and used to watch and take notes.. Not any more. RAchel Ray...boo... Some stupid countess... bah and the one with huge tatas hanging out.. Hmmph.. Cooks.. the two Fat ladies.. Oh me, they made me laugh and learn how to cook all sorts of improbable veggies.. And the Two Hot Tamales.. Wow.. were they fun, even though it was obvious they were not overfond of one another.

ChazzW

• Boston area
    • ChazzW@Wordpress
« Reply #336 on: July 06, 2009, 05:20:16 PM »
Just finished "What is the What' by Dave Eggers.  
That was s great one bellemere
Chazz

mrssherlock

« Reply #337 on: July 06, 2009, 05:31:55 PM »
Food on TV:  I like Alton Brown; he can be silly but he's not pretty and he's semi-scientific in his presentations.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #338 on: July 06, 2009, 05:44:01 PM »
Since I do like to cook I find those chef things more about hysteria in the kitchen then learning anything uselful or even how a kitchen runs.

From what I understand evey chef bring their personality with them and some get results with insults and fear while othere  instill a desire to make the food an art form using a quick deft of hand. I am sure there are other ways chefs inspire just as any manger of a department in any company inspires those who directly work for him as well as the relationships he develops with other department heads and outside vendors.

To be inspired to try something give me Jacques Pippin on PBS any day of the week. I seldom like the prep presentation offered by Martha although I like her cookbooks. And that new cutie pie Rachael Ray tends to serve foods that I do not eat and are geared more to family meals.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

ChazzW

• Boston area
    • ChazzW@Wordpress
« Reply #339 on: July 06, 2009, 05:44:39 PM »
Alton Brown. Hmph. I never heard of him until he became the latest spokesperson for the company I work for: Welch's. So now I've heard of him. For the record.
Chazz

bellemere

« Reply #340 on: July 06, 2009, 08:30:50 PM »
CallieinOK
I have an autographed copyof "Leave Me Alone, I'm Reading'.  Maureen Corrigan gave a reading at ourlocal bookstore when she was promoting her book at the time it was published.  I loved it, it was like chatting with a friend here about books. She is delightful in person;woudn't you love her job?  Is she still on NPR?

bellemere

« Reply #341 on: July 06, 2009, 08:35:44 PM »
Re: food people on TV
I remember years ago watching this huge woman on our Boston public TV station and thinking, "Is she for real?"
She dropped things, drank the wine she was cooking with, and sounded like a nitwit with a fruity high voice. 
Now I read that Julie and Julia is coming out, with Meryl Streep as Julia.  They must have to put Meryl on a stool or somethingl But for sure, I won't miss it.

marjifay

« Reply #342 on: July 06, 2009, 10:05:45 PM »
I'm with Steph -- loved to watch the two fat ladies cook until their program was cancelled when one of them died.  And I still miss the two Hot Tamales.  They have a restaurant out here in Santa Monica, CA which I never have gotten around to trying.

I used to love to listen to and watch that old Cajun guy cook.  He was a real kick

I also liked to watch the Southern lady, Paula Deen.  But, good lord, her recipes had a month's worth of transfat in one dinner.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

CallieOK

« Reply #343 on: July 06, 2009, 10:14:12 PM »
Bellemare,  as far as I could tell from the NPR web site, she is still on "Fresh Air".  I didn't check to see if this program is on NPR in Oklahoma.  I rarely listen to the radio at all.
Isn't it fun to meet authors in person?  The Oklahoma Center For The Book in Tulsa has a bi-annual conference to which many authors come.  There are workshop-type panel discussions by writers in various genres.  A "major" author is the featured speaker at the concluding dinner.  The writers all "hang around" and visit informally with those who attend.  I've been privileged to have delightful conversations with Jim Lehrer, Billy Letts and others.

I can't wait for Julie and Julia to come out - and to see Meryl Streep as Julia Child.  I don't think there's any role she can't do well.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #344 on: July 06, 2009, 10:43:21 PM »
I'm currently reading "My Life in France", a posthumous book of reminiscences by Julia Child with Alex Prud'homme.  It's a string of anecdotes, loosely woven together to tell the story of the newlyweds moving to France (he was in the State Department) and living there, her learning to cook and writing her books.  At the start, she couldn't cook and hadn't eaten French food, but after her first meal she never looked back. It's a good read if you're a foodie--full of descriptions of meals she ate and places she went, some of which I went to 10 years later.

It's easy to forget now how important her first book was when it came out.  Americans had just started to get interested in French food, and if you wanted to cook it, it was hard to learn how.  The book singlehandedly changed that.  The recipes were carefully tested and described in a way that made them almost foolproof.  Some of them were a lot of work, but they almost all came out well, and the basic techniques and possible pitfalls were fully described.

The cover has pictures of Meryl Streep as Julia.  She's too glamorous, but it looks like she might have caught the right spirit.

Mippy

« Reply #345 on: July 07, 2009, 06:59:17 AM »
PatH ~ What an excellent summary and post!   I loved that book, My Life in France !   And I remember in the late 1960s that cooking with Julia was new and exciting.  I'm not at all a foodie, but I sure loved trying her recipes.   That was way back in the days when every tiny restaurant didn't dribble sauce around the edges of the plate, no matter what you order.
quot libros, quam breve tempus

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #346 on: July 07, 2009, 08:24:19 AM »
I read that book too.  It was recommended to me by Steph back when we were still on SeniorNet.  I do not usually read that kind of book but read that because I love France.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

JoanR

« Reply #347 on: July 07, 2009, 09:08:11 AM »
I'm still reading my way through the Wallander series and catching up on Christie.  As an antidote to all the crime am also reading Henrietta's War by Joyce Dennys.  This is a novel in letter form which  is a "funny and affectionate portrait of...muddling through on the Home Front" in England during WW2.  Fun to read after having discussed the Guernsey Potato Pie book!

Someone posted this bit on Michael Dirda's page - I think it's great advice:

quote]"The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something. That's the only thing that never fails. You may grow old and trembling in your anatomies, you may lie awake at night listening to the disorder of your veins, you may miss your only love, you may see the world about you devastated by evil lunatics, or know your honour trampled in the sewers of baser minds. There is only one thing for it then — to learn. Learn why the world wags and what wags it. That is the only thing which the mind can never exhaust, never alienate, never be tortured by, never fear or distrust, and never dream of regretting. Learning is the only thing for you. Look what a lot of things there are to learn."
— T.H. White (The Once and Future King)

Thus, Latin!!!!!!!

I'll have to find a place to save that and other good quotes.  Maybe a Commonplace Book would be a good idea.  Do any of you have one?

bellemere

« Reply #348 on: July 07, 2009, 12:38:42 PM »
For a while I attended the New Yorker Festival every October in NYC when my son was living there and I had free lodging.  I cant tell you how ;may authors I have enjoyed hearing: John Updike, Dave Eggers, Frank McCourt, Martin Amis, Mary Karr, Simon Schama, Malcolm Gladwell, Adam Gopnik, T.C. Boyle, Steve Martin,Annie Proulx . Calvin Trillin- it was so great.  Then my son moved out of New York and I cant afford to go anymore! Sob!

bellemere

« Reply #349 on: July 07, 2009, 12:41:08 PM »
Joan R, Thank you, thank you for the quote from Merlin!  Maybe we need a "
Bartlett type section for great quotes.  Administrator?

Gumtree

« Reply #350 on: July 07, 2009, 12:53:59 PM »
I had a commonplace book years and years ago - trouble was it so quickly filled up and then I couldn't find what I wanted...and it was so tedious to read through pages and pages to find items...now I have places on the computer for different sorts of quotes or references etc.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #351 on: July 07, 2009, 02:37:32 PM »
For Years I had a "Franny" door and then I remodeled which included new 6  panel interior doors and so I wrote in lovely calligraphy using different styles and inks according the drawing on the page in a Gwen Frostic Remembrance Book till disaster ---

I was out of town visiting my daughter while having a my roof shingled. It was that infamies Saturday when we had 16 inches of rain in just over an hour - [periodically happens like that in Austin] Well the roof was in tar paper stage - I came home with 3 ceilings caved in and a 3 inch swamp through out the house - of course the books laying out were destroyed where as the ones on the shelves the bindings were wet but all salvageable.

Then my insurance company said it was the roofer's fault and his insurance company said it was an act of God - unless I sued there would be no compensation - So moi paid for ceilings and water removal etc. etc. and he said he charged me cost on the work he did but it left such a bad taste in my mouth.

I lost so many books including my lovely Remembrance Book. Never had the heart to start another - all it did was remind me of this debacle.

Tomereader1

« Reply #352 on: July 07, 2009, 03:02:14 PM »
I wouldn't have paid him one thin dime, Barb.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #353 on: July 07, 2009, 03:19:50 PM »
I loved Juliafrom day one. That tall silly lady cooking and tasting and laughing on black and white TV.. One of my treasures is two volumes dvd of her shows.. I have all of her cookbooks.. all of the books about her and way back I read the blogs of Julie when she decided to cook her way through the first book.. I can hardly wait for the movie.. Julia was always my hero. The best volumes for me were the two PBS in color that I have the matching cookbooks for Julia Child and Company and More Company..She cooks, chats and all on all makes you a part of her cooking and the book. It contains many recipes that I have used over and over.. She gave me hints like using a cuisinart to mix up my pasta dough.. and then use my pasta and crank.. She loves all sorts of things and share how she does them.. My favorite lady..She and Margaret Meade were always my heros.. I wanted to be one or the other or both.. Hmm. never got to, but I did teach cooking and bread baking for a while and supplied a restaurant with bread and desserts for about ayear. Fun.

Frybabe

« Reply #354 on: July 07, 2009, 06:51:42 PM »
Barb, how awful. As far as I know, my books are not valuable or rare but I would be devastated if something happened to them.

Your experience reminds me of a woman I use to know whose place was flooded during Hurricane Agnes. She spend a considerable amount of time painstakingly drying and restoring the books she could. I never heard how many she was able to salvage in the end.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #355 on: July 07, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
Steph--YES!  I think I have all her cookbooks too, and although cooking for one is different, I still use them.  When she died, local TV ran some clips from her shows.  One showed her starting to flip something by shaking (pancake, omelet, or whatever) saying "Always have the courage of your convictions", followed, after it landed in the wrong place, by "That didn't go too well, did it?"  I'm sure she then proceeded to make the dish come out fine anyway.

"The Way to Cook" should be part of everyone's cookbook shelf.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #356 on: July 08, 2009, 07:38:41 AM »
I enjoyed her My Life in France, a lot of things about it surprised me, but I loved it anyway. i do have her book, you'd think I could then cook? Er....no.

On Alton Brown, he's something isn't he? That Iron  Chef program is really something also. No matter who challenges,  if it's Bobby Flay, Bobby Flay wins. Can't get over that Excoffier (that is how he spelled his name, that was his name, some name to live up to, huh?) French chef with his potatoes, drove a cylinder thru them and then sliced the cylinders of potato,   to make fish scales for his fish dish the judges raved over it, over all of his dishes, and Bobby Flay won. That's the problem with WATCHING cooking being judged, you can't taste it. And maybe that particular judge on that particular day liked this or that taste better. Bobby Flay has emerged as the newest media king, I hope he's saving every penny against a rainy day.

I can't figure out the oriental guy,  the Chairman, except I have seen him in a film somewhere, he's certainly limber. I wonder how long he will be able to do those back flips and what, if anything,  they have to do with cooking, but I like him,  and it, but Alton? Please. Very strange.

I'd still rather watch him than Guy Fieri, tho. What is the deal with Fieri? I guess he can cook, and that's the point. I do like the shows where he finds local places to eat, but I bet they about faint when he walks in. hahaha You have to wonder how much of this is shtick, how much is real,  and how much just for entertainment.

Think about it. Due to the efforts of that one man, Bob Tuschman or whatever  his name is, the kindly looking grey haired judge on the Next Food Network Star, ALL of these people have come to national prominence, including Rachel Ray. Alll of these people have become stars. They are now taking auditions for the next year's series, and contest: when he's finished his channel will have these "found" stars on 24/7, which is probably the point. I have a feeling beneath that sweet demeanor is something else entirely, he's going to be,  if he is not already, a very powerful man. But who makes him so?

We do. Here's an interview of Tuschman

http://gothamist.com/2005/09/19/bob_tuschman_food_network.php

in which he talks about several interesting things, including what he's made of the Food Channel Network and a lot more:

In the age of the celebrity chef, food has become a mass media business. Our stars have big businesses in books, merchandise and media, not to mention restaurants.

and

Our weekend and afternoon "In the Kitchen" shows are primarily designed to teach you to cook in a fun, accessible way. This includes hit shows like 30 Minute Meals Barefoot Contessa and Everyday Italian. Since our viewer base has grown so much (we're now in nearly 88 million homes), our viewers have a broad range of cooking skills. So while our shows have a range of cooking styles, all feature accessible, "do-able" recipes that an average home cook can do -- easy-to-follow techniques, no hard to find equipment or ingredients, and most are filled with tips about saving time, money, and energy.

Our primetime programming is a little heavier on entertainment, though our viewers always want to learn as they're watching. We don't focus on cooking, but rather explore competitions, travel, reality and pop culture. Shows like Iron Chef America and Challenge are two shows that feature food as over-the-top Olympic style competition. Shows like $40 a Day and Rachael Ray's Tasty Travels are travel guides, Unwrapped and The Secret Life of … are pop cultural histories of our favorite foods. The challenge is to always balance compelling, entertaining narratives, with interesting takeaway. Our viewers like to learn while they're being entertained. So it's always a challenge to find formats that can be strong enough entertainment to work in the highly competitive landscape of primetime, but still allow viewers to do some learning along the way.

and..

What do you say in response to hardcore foodies (e.g. Jeffrey Steingarten) that dismiss the celebrity success of your stars?

If the goal is to make food and cooking accessible, interesting and celebrated by as many people as possible, I'd say we're succeeding. On the other hand if the goal is to keep the food world limited to a small group of elite chefs and eaters, we're failing miserably.

Speaking of kitchens, I did get Monica Ali's In the Kitchen, which is a novel about kitchens and a man's life disintegrating. I can't wait to start it, will have several going which is about as good as it gets,  Service Included, the surprisingly bland Four Star Secrets of a Eavesdropping Waiter,   at Per Se, you don't  miss it when you put it down, the Sebald, almost thru the Ripley's Game, and the Ali. Different times of the day you want different things, I think.

We have put the T. H. White quote here in our headings  where we feature different quotes, I love it, thank you Joan R!!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #357 on: July 08, 2009, 09:09:04 AM »
Have any of you noticed that these chefs reach right into the hot frying pans and turn the meat with their fingers? They must have fingers which have lost feeling! They also taste everything. THAT I think is my own problem, I don't know how it is supposed to taste so I don't taste, what's the point? Maybe the point IS make it taste good to you?

Babi

« Reply #358 on: July 08, 2009, 09:18:23 AM »
 I read a segment of "Losing Mum and Pup"..I think it must have been in a
Sunday supplement of the paper...and I found it just as readable as fascinating
as you said, BELLEMERE. This man is an excellent author, and I didn't even
know he existed!

Great quote, JOANR! Surely we all can find things to relate to,there.

Oh, that is really hard, BARB. If I could find a lawyer who would work on
spec., I think I would have advised the roofers insurance company that it
would cost them far more if I sued than if they paid for the damages.

FRYBABE, my local librarians have told me that a wet book cannot be salvaged. No matter how hard you work to dry them out, they will mildew and mold. A book brought in wet is a book that has to be tossed.

GINNY, my daughter and I watch the "Diners,Drive-ins and Dives" show, and like to dream of a tour of the country, visiting some of the places shown. It
would be fun, driving into a strange city and knowing just where to go for
a meal.  8)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Frybabe

« Reply #359 on: July 08, 2009, 09:41:14 AM »
FRYBABE, my local librarians have told me that a wet book cannot be salvaged. No matter how hard you work to dry them out, they will mildew and mold. A book brought in wet is a book that has to be tossed.

Well, Babi, then ultimately I guess she lost all her books. I remember she said something about separating the pages that were stuck together, but don't remember what else.

Another book added to my TBL: The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. The time traveler is a Librarian with a "temperal displacement disorder". Movie rights on this one. There are several TV shows I can think of that used that MO, but I don't think they starred a Librarian and they didn't jump in and out of their own lives at various points, just different times.